Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Boonedox landing gear on Fx 15

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thomasgf

thomasgf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:08 PM

I really want to get the landing gear on my FX 15. The perfect spot (really the only spot) seems to be on the rear thwart. For it to go there though some on the landing gear knuckles would need to be shaved off. I was wondering if anyone put the landing gear on an FX 15?

#2 thomasgf

thomasgf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:53 PM

I have yet to see the landing gear on an FX12 or FX15. I went ahead and bought one and the only spot I found that would work is on the molded back thawart. I knew going in that I would have to cut something for this to work. At first I was going to shave the landing gear knuckles, but then I found I could cut a slit in the raised lip of the thawart. I also peeled off the padding that was on the thawart. It seems to be a really strong spot where this is mounted. Looks like it was made for it there.

I bought this from Get:Outdoors and used a 10% off coupon. They had great customer service. When I received the package, it was missing the bolt pack and they got Boonedox to send it out ASAP.

Attached Files

• NOG Admin likes this

#3 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:24 PM

Nice, clean install.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#4 jansen

jansen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:11 PM

Which option is better for strength and longevity with this install on an ultimate fx 15 - cut the slit in the thwart or trim the landing gear base? Thanks.

#5 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:56 AM

I wouldn't cut the plastic. I would either trim the aluminum to fit into the channel or build up underneath it with some Starboard plastic and make sure you back it underneath the thwart to keep from stressing the hull plastic.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#6 thomasgf

thomasgf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:41 AM

I did have to unbolt the landing gear from my kayak as that middle bar got loose. This time, I used lock tight on the allen bolts that keeps that bar tight.

When I had the landing gear off I inspected that area on the kayak. There is absolutely no stress on the thawat from using the landing gear. The landing gear does come with a backing plate. Whether you build up the thawart, cut the landing gear, or cut the thwart slit I believe you will be in good shape. That landing gear was a game changer for me moving this big heavy kayak. I also use the boonedox tbone with my pickup truck for transportation. This package works great and I can do this all if I am fishing alone.

#7 jansen

jansen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:00 AM

Thanks for both of your replies. It is always a joy to know help is not far away among fellow kayakers. I will likely build up the thwart if possible once the landing gear arrives. Hope you'll have a good spring on the water.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users