Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo

Picking Mine Up Friday...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TacoBo

TacoBo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:56 PM

Sold my Hobie Revolution last night after four years in it, AND after a few phone calls today, placed a deposit with Get Outdoors on a hidden oak FX 13 Propel they have in stock. Will be picking it up Friday when the doors open. The plan is to take a few poles and gear with me and make a stop at the lake on the route back south to Charlotte to get her wet. I'll post some pics and initial impressions this weekend. Not new to pedal kayaks, but definitely new to the Native boats...we'll see if this whole "reverse" thing lives up to the hype. :)
  • porcha likes this

#2 07_hemi_thunderroad

07_hemi_thunderroad

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:56 PM

Congrats! I plan on getting one very soon! Post up your review after your maiden voyage
Wicked Catch Pro Staff 2014 Native Slayer Propel Lizard Lick

#3 TacoBo

TacoBo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:45 PM

Grabbed the FX Propel today...didn't get it wet as planned. My son is sick so I had to get back home to help out with him. If all goes well, tomorrow AM will be the maiden voyage. Here are a few pics of the soon to be not-so-new boat.

Attached Files

• NOG Admin likes this

#4 TacoBo

TacoBo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:20 PM

So, the maiden voyage is in history books. Jury is still out on the boat, but I think it's the start of a beautiful relationship. A few observations:

1. You sit high in the boat. After sitting flush with the water in the Hobie of so long, it's a definite change. However, I think I'm going to appreciate the high perch for skipping docks and getting more range of motion on my casts, etc. it seemed tippy at first, but I quickly acclimated and thought nothing of it after about 20 minutes. It's easier to stand from the higher position as well.

2. The hull is wide and flat which produces a lot of hull slap going into or facing away from chop. The Hobie was much more sleek and would slice more easily and quietly through waves than the Ultimate FX propel. I had anticipated this, and I assume that's just the nature of a wider, more stable platform.

3. The propel drive is slick. It's buttery smooth and relatively quiet, although I did notice a slight "hum" or vibration at cruising speed...not so much just holding position. I will say it's arguably less efficient than the the Hobie mirage drive. The Hobie would not only hold position in a falling/rising tide or river current, it would even advance easily. The propel seems less likely to be capable of that. I've broken through surf on the coast in the Hobie...I don't foresee a propel drive being capable of that, regardless of hull shape, although I'm sure someone will likely chime in and tell us otherwise. Bottom line is I fish docks, points, and drops on flat water predominately, so the reverse is a game changer for that...period. I don't think Hobie's engineers are slick enough to figure out how to make those fins do anything other than go in one direction, so Native will likely be my go to manufacturer from here on out.

4). Even though it's the lightest people drive kayak Native makes, it's still a beast. I could easily car top my Hobie at almost 80lbs over my head, no problem. I do well just to get the FX propel to waist height to get it onto the bed extender and tailgate. The width and lack of handles in the center of the boat don't help. I will have to come up with some sort of transportation method for it once I get to the water as my old kayak cart doesn't seem to like the shape of the new boat's tunnel hull. I was hoping the Boonedox landing gear would fit, but there doesn't seem to be enough real estate behind the seat to which the brackets could safely mount. I'll have to keep looking at that and see what I can come up with.

5). The rear thwart box is cool, but really unnecessary as most everyone (myself included) already have an expensive and trusty crate they move from boat to boat. I took this out as it was really just in the way. That's probably a $250 accessory that will find its way to a lot of folks' dedicated fishing shelf in the garage.

6) Finally, the transducer mount is appreciated, but it seems to have been an after thought. For those of you that have Humminbird transducers you'll realize why I'm being critical here within the first 10 minutes of trying to figure out how to make this work for you. Let me put it this way...I'm pretty handy and after an hour and a half trying to mount the factory transducer mount to the FX, I had to make the maiden voyage sans sonar. I'm still trying to figure out how to mount the factory transducer mount first, and THEN screw the plate back on the boat. Anyway...

All in all, I think I've got a winner, and once I work through a few gear issues (read new cart, DIY transducer mount, etc.) I'll be ready for tourney season. My little boy was sure impressed...the spotted bass I caught on my second cast , not so much. :)

Attached Files

#5 scorpion1971

scorpion1971

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:11 AM

Native did make a video showing how to install a transducer. It was posted this forum.

#6 TacoBo

TacoBo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:16 AM

Saw that. Unfortunately that only works for that style (I believe Lowrance) transducer brackets....factory Humminbird mounts, not so much.

#7 TacoBo

TacoBo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:24 PM

Question for the moderators, or maybe other Ultimate FX (propel or non-propel version) owners...

I noticed that there are what appears to be hardened bubbles in the rear of the hull, behind where the thwart box would mount as the hull comes to a taper.  It would appear to have occurred during forming/cooling.  Upon closer inspection, I noticed what also appeared to be air bubbles in the dead center of the hull, in the "crease" between the pontoons.  Aesthetically speaking, I don't really care, but I was wondering if either of these could create weakened or compromised spots in the hull over the lifetime of the boat.  I've attached photos for illustration...hopefully, the resolution will be clear enough to see what I'm talking about.

Attached Files

#8 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:25 PM

These would be cosmetic imperfections that occur from time to time during the molding. The raised areas are spots where small amounts of the mix accumulated. The spots in the V should not cause any structural integrity loss. In industry terms it typically would be classified as a second, meaning it has cosmetic imperfections, but nothing structurally wrong with it.

Would you mind forwarding your serial number? 

-thanks

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#9 Pelican

Pelican

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:03 PM

Saw that. Unfortunately that only works for that style (I believe Lowrance) transducer brackets....factory Humminbird mounts, not so much.

I was looking at mine today, I have a HB 999 to install which has the HD side image transducer. It looks like I'll be able to install it using the transducer well.
I hope to have time to give it a shot in the next few days.

#10 TacoBo

TacoBo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:25 AM

Also, picked up the Yakattack paddle holders. Those things are the deal. I'll be able to keep my paddle assembled and at the ready without giving up use of the rear rails or the built in rod holder to the right of the seat.

Attached Files

• NOG Admin likes this

#11 Kayakphotos

Kayakphotos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNaples, FL

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:01 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm a wildlife photographer and would love a "hands free" kayak at some point.

Just a thought from Daniel. '12 Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem- Camo

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/40driggs/

#12 Chris Blake

Chris Blake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationShreveport La

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:57 PM

Nice report, I also just sold a Hobie. Should be getting the FX13 this coming week. Where I fish, I have been paddling a PA14 through the thick stuff for too long. The different drive system shouldn't be that much of a change, but I'm looking forward to a lighter, thinner yak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users