Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Big guy with questions about the capacity of a slayer 12

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sammyfallen

Sammyfallen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:14 PM

Hey guys, I currently have a mariner 12.5 propel and am planning to pick up a slayer 12 for water too shallow to take advantage of the propel. Im curious if my 260lbs will be to much for the 12. I take minimal gear when fishing: 2 rods, small color for food & water, and a couple plano boxes max. I had a Ultimate 12 a couple years back and felt like it drafted to low at my weight. Thanks in advance.

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:37 AM

Are you interested in the 12' because of lower weight or smaller waters? The Slayer 12 can carry your weight better than the older Ult. 12's but it will raise the water line higher on the bow, which will result in the nose pushing water, more noticeable at higher speeds. If you're floating calm rivers then it won't be much of an issue but if flat water and going longer distances a longer model would be beneficial.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:38 AM

I'm the same weight and did fine in the 12' Slayer. I used it on both lake and river situations. It is fairly slow, so I opted for the 14.5 since I had more distance to paddle than tight maneuvering on my rivers. I also had another person with on rivers so the loading and unloading was much easier.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#4 Sammyfallen

Sammyfallen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:30 AM

Are you interested in the 12' because of lower weight or smaller waters? The Slayer 12 can carry your weight better than the older Ult. 12's but it will raise the water line higher on the bow, which will result in the nose pushing water, more noticeable at higher speeds. If you're floating calm rivers then it won't be much of an issue but if flat water and going longer distances a longer model would be beneficial.

Both to be honest.  I currently have a Lure 13.5 that I use for shallow and woody lakes, but, the weight and length make that a no go when needing to portage.  This will be my kayak that is loaned to friends / family and only used on occasion and in those narrow creek channels.

• NOG Admin likes this

#5 brdn_nkd

brdn_nkd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:20 AM

i'm 6'5 315... i just spent a week fishing from a slayer 12 carrying a cooler of beer, two fishing rods, two plano boxes, a dry sack of plastics, a 5lb anchor, a 12v battery and fish finder and a pfd. 

i pulled in some largeish fish (12lb northern), fished some pretty choppy water on windy days, and even got pulled behind a motor boat (we were doing dumb things for entertainment purposes). through all of that I felt mostly stable as long as I was conscious of my movements. the boat paddles well and  moves well. on the windy days pushing the nose of the yak through the chop was resulting in some splash. 

as part of our entertainment i also stood in the yak to play with stability, fell out and got back in, and we turned the water into rough seas with the boat. all in all a great experience to get more comfortable with the boat; looking forward to paddling more this summer. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users