Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Propel lower assembly gear noise

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SpRe

SpRe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:31 AM

Currently experiencing gear noise in the lower assembly but only when paddling forward. No noise when going in reverse.

there is no leakage and the unit is well greased. There is about 1/16 " vertical play in the transmission axle. The transmission

screw is tight. Aside from checking the grease status I have not opened the upper assembly. Suggestions?

#2 mikeyFish

mikeyFish

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Locationupstate SC

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:34 PM

might be worth a read:

http://nativeownersg...e-growling-fix/

• NOG Admin likes this

#3 bassninja

bassninja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:07 AM

I am on my third unit. The first two did exactly what you described straight out of the box.
The retailer swapped them out, no questions asked. The one I have now makes some noise, going forward, but not as bad as the first two. I'm tired of driving 3 hours to replace it, so I just deal with it.

I do a visual check on the gears and grease regularly, but I'm certain it is the bearings.

#4 skidsteer

skidsteer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:05 PM

I assume the transmission axle you refer to is the one in the lower cassette.

The vertical transmission axle in the propel itself should not have any play.

I have not been successful in getting rid of this noise in my units but I have not replaced the cassette bearings yet.

Let me know if you figure it out.

#5 Moxymo

Moxymo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationOzark , Missouri

Posted 14 October 2016 - 03:23 PM

I too have a growling or drone type noise coming from the lower unit . I have the tools and checked to make sure it is well greased . The noise is still there . It is most pronounced going forward but is still present in reverse . The kayak is quite loud underway . Not the quiet approach I wanted going to a fishing hole or stalking wildlife with my camera .

#6 mikeyFish

mikeyFish

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Locationupstate SC

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:19 PM

Everything you need to know to change the cassette bearings: 

http://nativeownersg...e-growling-fix/

I'm not qualified to second-guess this mechanical design, but I believe the cassette should have a thrust bearing (or better yet, a right-angle gearbox). I put a stern-mounted trolling motor on my Mariner a couple of years ago & it is totally quiet at 50% speed or less, so I've almost stopped using my Propel drive for fishing. No matter what kind of propulsion is used, once you start seeing a good size bow wave (~2.5mph on a Mariner probably ~3.5mph on a Slayer), there will be some water noise. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users