Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Boonedox Landing Gear

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rambler24

Rambler24

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationLenoir City, TN

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:17 PM

Have any of you installed the boonedox landing gear on an ultimate? I'm wondering if the rails are wide enough to mount the landing gear base?

#2 DarrenM

DarrenM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:56 PM

Never even seen it until now. Looks quite interesting,

I like the idea, not sure I like the implementation...

But neither am I sure I could make something prettier, LOL.

Their skills are better than mine.

Darren

2011 Ultimate 12

#3 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:51 AM

We haven't had anyone want to do it yet but if you did it would have to mount to the solid thwart behind the seat, either on the original Ultimate or the newer FX models. The backing plate for the mount bolts are too wide to fit up under the rails.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#4 Rambler24

Rambler24

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationLenoir City, TN

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid it would be too wide to fit up under the rails

#5 smithmal

smithmal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:41 AM

Bump on an old thread.

I have a new Ultimate 12 (2017).  I've seen many videos concerning the Boonedox Landing Gear (BLG) and was intrigued about its ability to allow a yak owner to easily get on and off the water.  Recently I scored a great deal on a used BLG on Craigslist so I went about researching how to properly install it on a Ultimate 12.  

The Native version of the BGL is designed to use the yak's back track system to attach the BLG (compatible with the Slayer and FX propel yaks).  However, there have been reports that the track system is not robust enough to hold the BLG without damage over time.  Of course, the U12 does not have a back track system behind the seat like the Slayers/FX propel models do and, as others have mentioned, there is not enough room on the side rails of the U12 to install it there either.  Therefore, if you want to install a BLG on a U12, you will need to use the back thwarts.  There is a concern, due to the thinness of the thwart material on the U12 that the BLG may cause damage overtime.

I called BLG and spoke to their tech support to discuss this.  What they suggested is to reinforce the thwart area with a wide piece of Ultra HIgh Molecular Weight (UHMW) Pollyethylene at least 1/2" in thickness.  I purchased this material on Amazon, traced out the shape of the back thwarts, cut the UHMWP to fit using a circular saw and then installed it using two 1.5" stainless steel 5/16" socket screws with 2 washers an a nylon coated nut (two screws per thwart).  Due to the additional thickness of the reinforced thwart, I replaced the BLG screw hardware with four 2" 5/16 stainless steel socket screws.  The 2" screws where long enough to clamp the BLG to the reinforced thwarts using the included metal bracket.   

The BLG seems to be firmly installed now with zero flexing of the thwart due to the added reinforcement (thwart material + 1/2" UHMWP + 1/2" metal bracket on the underside that the BLG comes with).  The BLG's wheel bracket is maybe 3-5 lbs in weight so it does not add that much weight to the U12 in terms of loading/unloading the yak onto your car/trailer.  Also, the BLG comes with a built in track system so you can add rods/mounts to it adding more functionality to the U12 (which only has a track system in the front).

I took the U12 out over the weekend using the newly installed BLG.  I was able to add the BLG's wheels to the yak while it was still on top of my car making it easy to install the wheels.  Having the BLG wheels already installed allowed me to lower the yak to the pavement without fear of scratching the hull.  I was then able to wheel it right into the water. 

Obviously b/c the U12 is so light, using a BLG might be a little overkill, but, due to the BLG design, it also allows you to completely load up your yak at the car, lock your car and then walk your fully loaded yak down to the launching site without needing to go back to the car to drop off your cart (if you are using some sort of a yak cart).  Since the wheels of the BLG are always installed, the BLG also allows you to walk your yak right into the water and/or right out of the water without being concerned about scratching your hull when you leave/enter the ramp/landing area. 

Finally, I plan on getting a 14.5 tandem and installing another BLG bracket onto it allowing me to have the option of using the BLG wheels on two different yaks without needing to purchase another set of wheels.

Thanks,

smithmal

• NOG Admin likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users