Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Propel Drive Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 njsimons@bellsouth.net

njsimons@bellsouth.net

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:40 PM

Hello All,

New to the Group. Just bought 2 used 12.5 Mariners with propel drives. Having an issue i did not detect when i bought the kayaks. It seems one of the propel drives is 2" shorter than the other and will not turn when fully lowered into place on the kayak. The prop hits the bottom of the kayak preventing it from turning. The only option i can figure out is shaving the propeller down until it clears the bottom of kayak. The blades are 12" long on each unit.

Anyone have an idea other than shaving prop?   Also, does anybody know if Native sells just the Propel Drives?  I cannot find anything out in cyberspace on that.

Thank you in advance.

John

#2 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:46 AM

Apparently whoever sold you your Mariners had a different Propel model like one of the old Ultimate Propels...that had a shorter drive arm than the Mariners used. I would definitely get back up with them to see about getting the right unit for that boat since it is basically useless as it is. We will check to see if there are any replacement parts for it from Native. It may be that they can salvage the drive arm off of one that has a broken clamp or something similar. How about posting where you live so we can figure that into the equation.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#3 njsimons@bellsouth.net

njsimons@bellsouth.net

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:18 AM

Thank you so much for the reply and help. Kinda feeling dumb for not verifying both Kayaks...just assumed...I live in Sebastian, FL and bought the Kayaks just South of Tampa, FL.  Like a dummy, I deleted the phone number, but still have his address. It's a six hour trip (roundtrip) so will try snailmail first to see if he replies. Worse Case Scenario...does Native sell the propel units individually?

#4 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:52 AM

Woody says unfortunately the parts for the Propels are not interchangeable. The short drive you have is from an older Ultimate Propel. It is 2.5" shorter. If you can't get up with the guy, you may be able to sell just the short unit and apply it to the cost of a new unit. Call this forum's owner, Get:Outdoors, to see if they can help out in getting a new unit in.

1-800-450-6819 / 336-294-3918
Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#5 njsimons@bellsouth.net

njsimons@bellsouth.net

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:10 AM

Thank you again for your help. I found the guy on facebook and sent an IM. No reply as of yet. I will also contact the owner to see about getting a new unit. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users