Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Native announces electric motor mount for Propel models

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,058 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:20 AM

Mining, if you could PM me your address I'd be happy to send you a quote.

-thanks

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#22 al_yak_fisher

al_yak_fisher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:58 AM

Hi just joined and posting on behalf of a really good friend of mine. He owns a Slayer Propel 10. I see the store page is up yet it states "out of stock."

Serious inquiry!  :D  So... when is this anticipated to be available again?! 

link: http://shopgetoutdoo...nt-amot002.html

Thanks in advance!

#23 Drewgill

Drewgill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:48 PM

Al, I actually just called them earlier today and ordered one. They said it would be in by Wednesday.

#24 al_yak_fisher

al_yak_fisher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:23 PM

Al, I actually just called them earlier today and ordered one. They said it would be in by Wednesday.

Awesome man! Thank you for the heads up.

#25 Short Attention Span

Short Attention Span

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAdelaide South Australia

Posted 18 September 2016 - 01:30 AM

Update: Native has placed an order with the outside manufacture of the bracket and is expected to be ready in 3-5 weeks and cost around $100.

Any idea of when n if these will be available in Australia?

#26 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,058 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:39 PM

Australia; it would depend on when they are ordered for import. It usually takes 3-4 weeks beyond that time.

#27 Jack Millet

Jack Millet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWhite, Georgia

Posted 23 September 2016 - 09:25 AM

Got mine in yesterday.

It was my understanding that the motor mount was designed for the newer propel models, and it probably would not fit on my '09 16' Ultimate propel Multi sport tandem. I decided to order it anyway just to see if I would be able to modify it to work on my '09 16'.

I ordered the model with the 20" bar because that is the measurement on my YAK. I slipped the bar in place and they clipped in correctly. I swung it down into position and it fit perfectly.

then mounted a old small Electra Pal model 0040 and the only hiccup was the closest I can get it has the shaft about 3/4" back from the full forward position in the propel slot.

The mount has about a 3" adjustment slide that locks down with two bolts. If the slot was just one inch longer my trolling motor would fit perfectly. My
only concern here is that this leaves a 3/4 gap between the shaft and the front wall of the propel slot. I imagine that when running at highest speed this will allow water to flow through the opening.

I will modify mine by removing the front bolt and slide the unit forward until the shaft is all the way up against the wall. Once this is done I will drill a new bolt hole for the front bolt. This will allow me a perfect installation.

The only reason I am posting this is to let other owners of the older propel models know that the mount will work with the older propel models.

Hopefully Native will make a slight modification the future mounts by just making the adjustment slot 1" longer to the front. Then it will work in our older YAKS with no need of customer modifications.

Keep in mind that this is the situation for my '09 16' Ultimate Propel Multi Sport Tandem. I can't guarantee that it will be the same with other older propel models.

Another thing to keep in mind. If you decide to use a trolling motor in your Propel, make sure you get one with a two blade prop. A three blade will not go through the slot.

Good luck.

#28 Jack Millet

Jack Millet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWhite, Georgia

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:40 PM

WELL WHEN I'M WRONG, I'M WRONG.

I made the above post the day I got my new Motor Mount for the Native Propel. I installed it as per the post above and everything went perfectly until I tried to install the trolling motor. I stated the it sat 3/4" back behind the front Propel Hatch wall. Before I tried to modify the motor mount I wanted to wait until I got my new Minn Kota in so I would be sure to use the right dimensions when I made the adjustment. Boy am I glad I waited. I got a Minn Kota C2 55 lb thrust with a 36"shaft. When I set it in place it was a bit too far forward and would not swing down into place properly, because I had slid the plate up to accommodate the Electra Pal. Once I readjusted the plate so the new Minn Kota fit right, I was now about 3/4" back from the farthest forward setting. I adjusted the lock bolts and now it fits perfectly.

My apologies the Native. It is a perfect set as is. The good news is that all owners of the older model Ultimate propels can probably use the motor mount with no modifications.

Now the only modifications I have to make are on the Minn Kota. First I removed the nut holding the control head and spun it 180 degrees. Now the control handle is facing back toward my seat position. That went well and easy. My next step will be to remove the control head again and cut the shaft down about 1 foot. This will bring it down to about shoulder level.

So I got to take it out this afternoon and was very please with the results. I was in an empty kayak except for the 44lb battery, a paddle, PFD, and a seat. Guestimating I was doing about 8 to 10 MPH. Lots faster than paddling. Very please with the setup.
  • NOG Admin and Skully like this

#29 209slayer

209slayer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:55 PM

Ok so I just purchased this mount and now im looking into a trolling motor...I have a slayer propel 10 and was wondering if the minn kota c2 55 would fit through the hull...the propeller looks alot bigger then the monn kota c2 30...

#30 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,058 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:13 PM

Initial post has been edited to add product link (Native Motor Mount)

#31 DaveF

DaveF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:31 PM

I have a propel 13. Mounted a min kota 30 pound thrust with 30 inch shaft, that I had. I rotated head and cut shaft shorter.

The only issue I have is that when coming into shore I have to raise motor straight up releasing height clamp and at the same time rotate it and center prop in order to store for landing. Not such a inconvience when setting out doing everything in reverse. In fishing with it I find it very good although I prefer the propel drive for maintaining postion and stealth.

I bought a 690 marine amp deep cycle battery from walmart which is rated at 101 amp. Did not like the excesive weight of this battery so I bought a small deep cycle one that fits in native battery bag. I recently went out for 6 hours using motor most of the time on speeds 1-3 of 6 speeds and a couple of times wide open. I planned on finding out just how long this setup would run so I planned my fishing to endup at the ramp or at least near it. As it turned out 6 hours of conservative use is it. If its used on high settings I feel it would last about an hour. Maybe a motor with a power maximiser would be more efficient.
Long story short I plan on using motor only when going longer distances to fishing spots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users