Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Native announces electric motor mount for Propel models

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:19 AM

Native Watercraft announces optional electric motor mount option for existing Propel model kayaks. The $89 mount option lets you attach your own electric motor.

Order Link

Photo credit: Kayak Fish Magazine

Attached File  Native-Motor-Mount_450.jpg   214.79KB   24 downloads

• stripinator likes this

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#2 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:53 PM

This will be a good option for those that can't pedal or paddle. Remember that in most states once you add an electric motor to your kayak, you then have to register the boat and start paying taxes on it. Native used to have an electric version of the Propel but low sales made it too expensive to continue offering it. The hopes are now that they can keep manufacturing costs down by simply making the bracket and letting you buy your own motor.

For those that may think the motor will offer a faster option...tests have already been done racing an Old Town Predator using their 55lb thrust trolling motor against the SP 13...the SP 13 was faster using the Propel pedal power.

• HoltDaddy and stripinator like this
Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#3 android

android

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:06 AM

interesting....just for kicks, i tried to fit my minn kota through the pedal drive hole and the motor/propeller part was too big around to go through. i have yet to see this mount offered for sale anywhere.   buyer should check their respective motor will fit before buying one of these.

• NOG Admin and Marx like this

#4 tailnreds

tailnreds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:07 PM

Any word on this trolling motor mount? I would like to purchase one please, thanks

#5 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:59 PM

We haven't gotten the final cost yet but have been told they are almost easy fro delivery. Will update as soon as we have more info.

#6 tailnreds

tailnreds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:04 PM

Ok great! Do you happen to know which trolling motor fits in the opening on my Propel 10? I plan to buy a trolling motor and hack it down to size. Thanks

#7 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:11 PM

We've been told both Motor Guide and Minnkota housing will fit thru the drive well. Native originally partnered with Motor Guide when they offered an electric drive.

#8 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:39 AM

Update: Native has placed an order with the outside manufacture of the bracket and is expected to be ready in 3-5 weeks and cost around $100.

#9 tailnreds

tailnreds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:38 PM

Sweet! Can't wait, thanks for the update!

#10 tailnreds

tailnreds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:37 PM

Any news on this trolling motor bracket? I'm ready to purchase one asap. Thanks!

#11 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:28 AM

Unfortunately there has been a delay with the manufacturer, pushing the anticipated arrival to the factory closer to August. As soon as arrival is available we'll let everyone know.

-thanks

#12 WingButler

WingButler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:16 PM

The pic seems to show the mount for the back of the yak. I was hoping for something to mount into my pedal console hole. Am I seeing that right?

#13 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:56 PM

The photo actually shows it mounted to a free standing floor stand for display purposes only. It does in fact mount to the kayak in the location of a propel drive.

#14 mikeyFish

mikeyFish

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Locationupstate SC

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:15 PM

The pic seems to show the mount for the back of the yak. I was hoping for something to mount into my pedal console hole. Am I seeing that right?

hi Wing,

A stern mount would not be a bad thing.

I have had a stern-mounted trolling motor on my Mariner for ~2 years. I was originally going to mount it in the Propel slot, but I wanted to be able to drive the yak onto my float-on trailer, so I opted for stern-mounting. This turned out to be a good (albeit lucky) decision. So, here’s what I’ve learned:

Stern-mount:

Pros:

very quiet (a plus for fishing, the ultimate for trolling)

very energy-efficient (not churning water down the inside of hulls)

tracks very straight when steered with only the Mariner rudder 

may be used in conjunction with Propel drive (pedaling effort adds to motor speed)

simply drive yak onto boat trailer at end of day 

when trolling, leave Propel drive off the yak, this leaves a lot of room for relaxing & fishing gear.

(I like to prop my feet up, listen to audio books or music, have a cigar, etc.)

Will spin the rear of yak in a circle when turning hard on motor steering, this is great for narrow coves, 

but I quickly learned to appreciate planers to avoid wrapping lures around the propeller.

(the planers also work great for fishing under over-hanging trees or bushes, no casting involved)

Cons:

Unless you choose to lock the trolling motor in center & steer only with the rudder, you will need something 

(cables or a servo) to turn the motor (e.g. spinning stern in a circle)

You will need to run wires to front of yak to control speed or use an extender rod on trolling motor

encourages extreme relaxation (aka laziness) 

if something gets stuck on prop (e.g. a lure), have to go to shore to get if off (albeit rarely)

(this is the one plus for mounting in Propel slot, but planers make this a non-issue)

Propel-slot mount:

Pros:

easy to remove anything that gets stuck on prop

easy to install motor (just drop it in)

Cons:

have to give up Propel drive, but don’t gain any space up front

see “Pros” for stern-mount 

#15 tailnreds

tailnreds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:07 PM

Any news on this motor mount?

#16 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:42 AM

Just checked again today. For orders placed now shipment will occur 10/1/2016. If you'd like to preorder please let us know.

#17 tailnreds

tailnreds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:10 PM

Ok thank you, I would like to pre-order. Please send me the info. If I pay for pre-order, will I definitely get the mount in early October?
  • NOG Admin likes this

#18 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:27 AM

You're welcome. I'll confirm the info this morning and let you know ASAP.

-thanks

#19 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:30 PM

To confirm; 

We're being told shipment from the factory to dealers for orders placed now it will ship 10/1. and retails for $89.

The part isn't on our website yet so if you could please call in to pre-order 800-450-6819 and ask for Cory. Also, let him know you're a NOG member.

-thanks

• tailnreds likes this

#20 Mininz

Mininz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:19 AM

How much do you think to send one to New Zealand ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users