Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Tegris rudder install?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tombo

Tombo

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:13 PM

I just purchased a Native Ultimate Tegris. Now I am looking to add a rudder.

Did the search thing with most posts being dated. Any input would be appreciated. The Native dealer near me is new so they don't have any info.

I have always wanted a Tegris, more now as I get older. Most new kayak designs are nice but are getting heavier.

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:50 AM

I believe the rudder bracket used was for '09's or earlier. Basically the bracket was a V, formed to the stern line and bolted on from the outside with a thru-bolt. This would be the mount that predated the ones which bolted directly onto the hull using molded in nuts.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 Tombo

Tombo

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:03 AM

Will be picking up the kayak today, don't know the year.

#4 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:53 AM

The surface mounted rudder bracket would be used for all year models of the Tegris and '09 or early plastic versions.

#5 Mikem

Mikem

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:30 PM

With a custom fitted backing plate on the inside of hull, couldn't the current rudder bracket from the Ultimate yaks be used??

#6 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:44 PM

The differences in the mounts are more about how they contour to the outside shape of the stern. The old style was a V shape and the new bolt to molten in nut has a flat section and a small wrap around edge section. Here is the old style which was used on for the Tegris as well.
Attached File  image.jpg   184.52KB   3 downloads

#7 Tombo

Tombo

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:10 AM

First of all I want to thank everyone for their input. After looking at the serial number, pretty sure its an 08 model in great shape.

Now, where do I find the rudder kit, old style?

#8 Mikem

Mikem

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:46 PM

The differences in the mounts are more about how they contour to the outside shape of the stern. The old style was a V shape and the new bolt to molten in nut has a flat section and a small wrap around edge section. Here is the old style which was used on for the Tegris as well.
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Yes, quite different for sure.

#9 Tombo

Tombo

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:50 PM

Yes, quite different for sure.

I need a part number so I can order from Roys in Corpus Christi. They are new to kayaks in general but plenty of fishing stuff.

Tom

#10 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:09 PM

Since the rudder kit, including specific mount, is no longer produced we don't have a record of the part number. I would have them contact Native directly to see if they have any left though.

#11 Tombo

Tombo

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:20 PM

Just got off the phone with Legacy Paddlesports. Part number is ARUD 368.

#12 jediangler

jediangler

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:18 AM

Have you tried paddling your new Tegris without a rudder?

Fish with the Force Tegris 12

#13 Tombo

Tombo

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:04 AM

Have you tried paddling your new Tegris without a rudder?

I have paddled and owned an Ulimate 14.5, Ultimate Propel and paddled an Ultimate 12. They all have the same characteristic when I stop paddling, they turn. Good question, needs to be asked. The way I posted know one would know if I ever paddled any kayak.

#14 jediangler

jediangler

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:56 AM

So you haven't paddled your Tegris without a rudder :)  . I'm in my 8th year with mine and never felt I needed it. I have a longer yak with a rudder and wouldn't want a yak over 13ft without one. Just try it before you lay out the cash and remember it's not one of those other plastic Ultimates.

Fish with the Force Tegris 12

#15 Tombo

Tombo

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:10 AM

Update on rudder. The kit I received fit, but did not like the sharp turns the cable made going through the hull just in front of the rudder. Had to do some fab work at no fault of Native, some of the brackets were missing just in front of the seat. Was a little tight at first but with a little adjustment it worked fine. 

Wound up selling to a good friend of mine last year. Just had to thin down my inventory to one kayak. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users