Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

A bit of water / rust in the top of the Propel drive

Propel rust bearings

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Squidslayer

Squidslayer

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 25 July 2015 - 01:50 AM

Looks like I'm up for a bearing renewal in the top end of my drive. Its a 301 series bought in 2014 and then purchased by me second hand this year. I suspect that, before I purchased the kayak, the drive has had a dunking in the ocean and taken some water past the seals in the top drive unit.

The bottom end looked sweet as with no signs of water entry but I had probably a teaspoon of water in the top end of the drive and some rust on the bearings and main drive gear.

She had felt a bit "rough" the last trip and, being winter down under and the weather has been marginal for yakking I took the opportunity to do a tear down.

I think mutch longer and the bearings would have given me real grief if I had left it.

Luckily the bearings are cheap and an easy job to replace and while I'm at it I might try and fit an improved seal to the bearing. Will let you'all know how things go.

Squid

Attached Files

Slayer propel - Blue lagoon

Adelaide - South Australia

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:27 AM

Looks like,an opportune time to install the newest cover plates which have an outer bearing seal. If you haven't seen them there referenced in this post http://nativeownersg...t-installation/
  • Mikem likes this

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 Squidslayer

Squidslayer

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for that KayakFishingNC, I've made enquiries through our local dealer and he's getting me a price but looking on here a set is around $209 US which is is $287 AUS!!

The dealers next shipping container of goodies from Native arrives in October this year. The other option will be airbag a set in which will add to the expense, I cant see me getting it for less than $300 Aussie $.

For the $, I'll fit new bearings this time and get back onto the water, I know that there has been talk on here of using stainless bearings so I'll also explore that one.

If I fit new bearings I have a known starting point and I will be able to monitor the performance and ingress of moisture over time and then look at the upgrade later if needed.

I can understand why Native have redesigned their upper seal assemblies. Looking at the old design, to rely only on the seal in the bearing to keep the moisture out is a bit wishful.

• NOG Admin likes this

#4 Squidslayer

Squidslayer

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:50 AM

So I have pulled the seals off the bearing and was surprised what I found and have an opinion as to why it is like it is.

The grease has gone to some kind of mush although I dont think the bearing is rusty as such but the lubrication in the sealed bearing has reacted with the sea water that was in the drive housing.

Looking at local bearing suppliers the SKF 6203-2RSH/W64 may be the go. Evidently these are sealed and lubricated with "soild oil" witch protects in wet and dirty environs.

We'll see.....

Attached File  PROPEL BEARING DIRTY 3.JPG   113.73KB   2 downloads

Attached File  PROPEL BEARING DIRTY.JPG   178.4KB   2 downloadsAttached File  PROPEL BEARING DIRTY 2.JPG   154.62KB   2 downloads

#5 Squidslayer

Squidslayer

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:40 AM

I've found some bearings  (NSK 6203 DV2) suitable for my top end rebuild and spent a few hours down the shed putting my 301 series propel back together.

I'm quite happy with the result and I will have peace of mind out on the water now, she's running pretty slick.

In the end it cost me a pair of bearings, some grease and a couple of "o" ring seals. I found the old crank assy "o" rings were well oversize so replaced them all up, not much.

I now also have a starting point for my bearings and the grease I'm using so I'll be monitoring this. It was also great to pull the propel down, it went back together well with no hassles.

Here's a couple of assembly pics.Attached File  Iphone pics 1-8-15 012.JPG   255.33KB   2 downloadsAttached File  Iphone pics 1-8-15 026.JPG   198.93KB   2 downloadsAttached File  Iphone pics 1-8-15 020.JPG   248.41KB   2 downloadsAttached File  Iphone pics 1-8-15 016.JPG   214.52KB   3 downloadsG]Attached File  Iphone pics 1-8-15 014.JPG   179.23KB   4 downloadsAttached File  Iphone pics 1-8-15 014.JPG   179.23KB   4 downloads

Attached Files

• Taz likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Propel, rust, bearings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users