Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Added hatch to magic 14.5

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fa

fa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:00 AM

Anyone have any experience with adding a hatch to the bow of a magic 14.5 (flat type hatch like with mr). I saw pics of this done a while back when I was shopping for a kayak, but I can't find them.

#2 Tyak

Tyak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:44 PM

It's too shallow...wouldnt be worth it. Use a dry bag

#3 Jump n Fish

Jump n Fish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

Is this what you mean? I put this one on my bow, and I store my fishfinder battery up front. Just used a fine hacksaw blade to cut hole and I saved the spare plastic to melt for patches later on down the road if I need it. Excuse the picture, but I was lifting my backpack out of the way to take a pic of the hatch. Posted Image

Here's the the hatch I used from this website.
http://www.kayakfish...tegory_Code=htc

#4 CrkrBob

CrkrBob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:58 AM

Jump n Fish, How much room did you have between the hatch and the bottom of the hull? CrkrBob

#5 Javelina Russ

Javelina Russ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:04 AM

I been thinking on this what about one of those rectangle malibu hatches they have in the middle?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Tombo

Tombo

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:13 AM

I been thinking on this what about one of those rectangle malibu hatches they have in the middle?

Posted Image
Posted Image

Then you would have a Magicbu, Maligic, Bugic whatever.

#7 Javelina Russ

Javelina Russ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:33 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Then you would have a Magicbu, Maligic, Bugic whatever.

Just just an easier way to get to the inside of my Magic to sup it up some.... I could see even the round hatch right in front of my seat just to put some foam blocks to make it more rigid.

It's got that serious yet, but been punting it around some

#8 Jump n Fish

Jump n Fish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:20 PM

Jump n Fish,

How much room did you have between the hatch and the bottom of the hull?

CrkrBob

There is a good bit of room where I installed the hatch. Didn't really measure it, but I'm guessing a good 8-10 inches. There's plenty of storage room for anything that will fit through the small hatch. I use a small motorcycle battery for my fishfinder that barely fits through the hatch, but with plenty of room to spare once inside. I took one of those foam balls from wal-mart, cut it in half and hollowed it out a rectangular area and glued it in place for a battery tray. There's still plenty of room up there for other stuff. If you bought one of the hatches like the one I have that has a bag for it, there's enough clearance to completely fill that bag for sure. Here's a few more pics to try and help visualize how much room there is.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Plus it gives you internal access so I can use a bolt with a nut on the inside for my anchor trolley.
Posted Image
It also gives me access to route my fish finder wires through the hull for the battery. The transducer I have siliconed to the inside as far as I could reach fwd from the back hatch. That was the flattest part of the hull that was accessible unless you cut a hatch in the floor.
Posted Image

I really don't think a hatch in the floor would be useful except for access because you'll probably only have a couple inches of clearance. I would be pretty concerned with water leaking into it as well, as it can take a a little time to drain out after taking a good wave over the bow. Plus the channels in the floor would not allow for a hatch, unless it fit in between them with enough clearance. I don't think the malibu hatch could work. Although I haven't measure it out, I've seen the malibu hatches and I think they would be too big. I may be wrong, but I'd definitely get the dimensions and measure it out before you buy one Javelina.

#9 Javelina Russ

Javelina Russ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:50 AM

I got several laying around just never got very serious about it yet. I would like to see them do something along those lines though if they ever go to a new mold about putting a hatch in the middle. It's just tough getting into the middle of that yak :lol: :lol:

#10 Psycho Joe

Psycho Joe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:59 PM

Hatch

I have seen these two hatches mounted on a Magic 14.5. These will be my next additions. A rectangle hatch in place of the rear tower hatch and a round hatch on the bow.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Bellybuster

Bellybuster

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:23 PM

Re: Added hatch to magic 14.5 I hope any future cutters are aware that cutting in a hatch voids your warranty. I want to do ythis to the front of my 12 but unsure if I want to release the warranty

#12 grtsct

grtsct

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:18 PM

I put a hatch on my Magic 12 at the front using a 4" round screw off hatch and I love it, I think that Native should have done this to start with. I run my fishfinder cables up threw the hatch and place my small battery in the front.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users