Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Newbie owner

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frankyak

frankyak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:16 PM

I bought a used mariner 12.5 and put it on the water yesterday.  When I pedal, the drive makes a humming sound and if I try to pedal moderate or hard, it sounds like the prop is hitting something.  Is this normal?  I really hope not.  I'm hoping that someone will tell me that the previous owner was a liar when he told me that he maintained the propel drive and I just need to take everything apart and grease it up real nice.  Does any of this sound familiar?  Is it just a maintenance issue? 

Thanks

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:55 PM

Welcome to the forum.

When pedaling moderately to hard the drive normally emits a sound that could be described as a hum but it shouldn't sound like the prop is hitting something.

A few questions:
1) what year model do you have? The last two digits of the serial number, located on the stern, indicate the year.
2) have you spun the pedals with the drive raised or out of the water to visualize that the spindle or prop shaft is not bent?
3) have you checked all attachment points where the slide lock levers hold the drive down? There shouldn't be any play allowing the drive to move, potentially causing a click, when movement under heavier pressure. Sometimes a drive has to be in water for its resistance to determine.
4) if after checking these external things with nothing found we'll need to then isolate the noise closer to its origin, either the top head or the lower cassette.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 mikeyFish

mikeyFish

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Locationupstate SC

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:39 PM

Here's what I've learned from working on Propel drives:

Remove the lower cassette, turn the pedals & if any resistance problem is in upper unit (probably a bearing).

Spin the cassette shaft, if it is hard to turn or has a lot of end play (shaft in/out movement) bad bearing in cassette.

A gotcha' about cassette, sometimes a cassette will spin easy even with a bad bearing. Turn the cassette shaft while pushing it to left/right. You can feel a bad bearing when side-loaded. If it's bad, may wanna' look at "Growling Fix" post in Mariner section.

Hope this helps & good luck!

• NOG Admin likes this

#4 frankyak

frankyak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll look at all those things and see what I can find. I'm sure I'll be talking to you guys again.

It is a 2012. I am waiting on my spanner wrench to come in so I can start pulling stuff apart to investigate your suggestions.

#5 frankyak

frankyak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:44 PM

I haven't gotten my spanner wrench yet so I took the lower unit off to grease it that way.  The images are what I saw when I took it off.  Whatever the black grainy looking stuff is on the gear, there was about a tablespoon of that in the lower unit and on the other gear, which I vacummed out.  So I am going to clean this gear up, grease them, and put it back together and see what happens.  The person that I bought this from told me that he had only had the boat on the water two times.  After looking at these gears, I don't think that is true.  Does that look like metal shavings from the gears and should I expect to have to change them soon?  Also, with the lower unit off if I try to spin the propeller should it probably at least rotate freely for a few turns before stopping?  Right now it just pretty much stops immediately so I am wondering if I am going to have to replace the bearings soon as well.  And I know "lower unit" isn't proper terminology, so what is it called?  Another gentleman mentioned the "cassette", is that what it is called?  Any help is appreciated.

Attached File  20150603_155448.jpg   157.96KB   1 downloads

Attached File  20150603_155544.jpg   131.61KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20150603_160012.jpg   120.81KB   0 downloads

#6 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:28 PM

The grainy bits look suspiciously like metal fragments but it's somewhat hard to tell from the photos. Did you wipe any off, clean them and see if they attract to a magnet? On the plus side, I've seen some gears that have had water intrusion and looked worse than this but cleaned up still worked well afterwards. If after cleaning and regressing you still have heavy resistance, clicking or clunk sounds you'll probably need to check the upper gears as well. Also, from the looks of the gear it does't appear water has ever entered the lower housing.

The gear you see still inside the housing, or lower unit, you removed is the gear end of the cassette. The prop spindle has three sealed bearings which give some resistance so the prop won't continue to spin freely if you turn it manually by hand, so what you describe is normal.

In the 2nd post to this thread (diagram) is a pdf schematic of the internal parts.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users