Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

2015 Automatic For The People

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:33 PM

From Native's president....Woody Callaway...

"First I would like to thank all of you Native Owners for choosing our boats and helping our little company propel (no pun intended) itself to the top of the kayak fishing world. A few years ago we established something we call Automatic for the People where we ask current owners what they would like to see us design/develop boat wise and accessory wise and its the voice of the People that has made the biggest difference for us in this rapidly growing sport of kayak fishing. It is time once again to open up a thread called Automatic for the People. Remember there are no bad ideas and we will do our best to design and improve in the future... OK... go!"

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#2 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:45 PM

On both the 12' and 14.5' Slayers, I would like to see the center 'post/hatch/battery compartment' re-worked into a true pod that will be open through the hull where we can mount any fish finder transducer on the bottom of the pod...the pod would contain all the wiring and a battery inside, and the fish finder on top...a totally self contained unit that is easily removed for transportation. I would like to see the wheel made into a sacrificial drag skeg that can be replaced once it is worn down. I'd like to see a sharper, quieter entry on the 14.5' model.

I would like to see the sides of the gunnels step down into a curved channel and have rod tip protectors at the front of the channels, and bungee rod /reel/handle holders mid-ship for horizontal rod storage.

• Mikem likes this

#3 damuniz

damuniz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:34 PM

I'd like to see an improved rudder design for the FX series. Longer blade and smoother foot pedals.

I'd also like to have a place to securely mount a transducer battery. Either mold a spot at the back of the seat pan to strap the battery to or at the bow or stern. Maybe holes to mount the Native battery bag from the front or rear deck.

I may think of some others. 

• boykinsbuddy likes this

#4 scorpion1971

scorpion1971

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:30 AM

The 2 biggest things I would like to see is an improved rudder for the Propel 13 and an upgraded seat. A newer seat close to what is on the Hobie Pro Angler that will fit older models along with new would be a great improvement. There are a few other things that could be done. Offering a stand up lean bar assembly like some other manufactures have. Not sure if having a front hatch open to the inside of the hull would work or not. I also like the inside the hull plano box idea on the pro angler. One last thing would be a built in transducer mount area. 

• boykinsbuddy likes this

#5 Mikem

Mikem

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:04 PM

Electric trolling motor for Propels or at least hardware to mount one.

Higher back support on seat frames.

Longer rudder blade for Propel with 'hand screw' for easy 'off-on' of rudder.

All ready mentioned but agree..... Transducer pod with opening thru hull and gunnel, horizontal, rod/reel storage.

#6 mmeneghe

mmeneghe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:30 PM

A better seal on where the propel drive is mounted on the boat.  Water continually works its way into the boat.

#7 stripinator

stripinator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:56 PM

I am a new owner of a 2015 native slayer propel 13.i recently sold my 2014 hobie revolution 13 For the slayer.the slayer beats out the hobie hands down.i would like to see an available upgraded propeller that produces more speed. For example how hobie has regular and optional st turbo fins.a direct fit scupper transducer kit would be great cause I had to outfit a lowrance kit to fit the huge but great scupper holes.i would definitely like to see a rudder quick disconnect upgrade kit as well for transportation perposes.i love this kayak and will own it for years to come please make more accessories to fill our needs. Thank you
  • Moxymo likes this

#8 Squidslayer

Squidslayer

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:59 AM

Me personally, I find the Slayer Propel 13 can take a few waves over the bow in the right sea conditions. (mine only goes in the ocean) 

I realise a complete redesign of the bow would be out but what about a flared plastic bow attachment that could be held onto the front rails? This could deflect those rogue waves.

It could be designed to slide over the bow like a muzzle so its shape adds to the strength of holding it to the yak and a decent wave wouldn't rip your rails off.

Not being a light weight I leave the scuppers in the cockpit whilst propelling and an occasional decent wave sees me scrambling to rip the scuppers out and drain the old girl.

Slayer propel - Blue lagoon

Adelaide - South Australia

#9 oldfella

oldfella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:53 PM

I would like to see a Slayer 10 paddle kayak with foot controlled rudder and a large transducer spot on the bottom of the hull.

#10 Crbhvac

Crbhvac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:33 PM

I would like to see an option to put the rudder control on either side of the kayak for left handed or right handed people. Also an improved seat with more adjustment.

#11 mrcheeky

mrcheeky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:33 PM

I would like to see a quick disconnect rudder as well. Maybe a quick release pin and lanyard in case it falls off while in the water. Another idea I had was a rudder that will lock into place when out of the water. To add to that an integrated wheel inside the rudder not for transporting, but for loading unloading. I cringe every time I pull it out of the truck and hit the rudder. The wheel would be a wearable and replaceable item.

• stripinator likes this

#12 TheWarrant

TheWarrant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:16 PM

I'd like to see two flush mount rod holders installed behind the seat, one on each side. It was one of the first 'add-on's' to my Slayer 13 Propel.

Does the forward hatch cover really have to be an optional purchase for $80?? I see a lot of other kayaks with covered areas that come stock.

Rudder is okay - a little slow, everything can be made better for a cost and a change in aesthetics - I'd like a rudder blade that is longer, but that I can also put on / take off as I'm loading / unloading the kayak. You've left plenty of room for customizing the kayak, I like that but if it's a 'fishing kayak', I'd go with more 'fishing' orientated equipment as mentioned above.

#13 BayouBound

BayouBound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAlbany, LA

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:07 AM

I'd like to see two flush mount rod holders installed behind the seat, one on each side. It was one of the first 'add-on's' to my Slayer 13 Propel.

Does the forward hatch cover really have to be an optional purchase for $80?? I see a lot of other kayaks with covered areas that come stock.

Rudder is okay - a little slow, everything can be made better for a cost and a change in aesthetics - I'd like a rudder blade that is longer, but that I can also put on / take off as I'm loading / unloading the kayak. You've left plenty of room for customizing the kayak, I like that but if it's a 'fishing kayak', I'd go with more 'fishing' orientated equipment as mentioned above.

I prefer the open layout of the slayer propel myself and am not interested in a hatch cover.  I'd prefer that to remain an optional add-on. 

I would like to see built in paddle holder on both sides of the kayak similar to the outback, one side to hold a paddle and one side to hold a stake out poll.  The cam lock paddle holders are great but using them requires practically my whole gear track one side to be covered by the paddle. 

I also would like to see a transducer-ready scupper. 

I wish the plastic bin in the small dry storage compartment behind the seat was about 2 - 3" deeper as I like to keep my cellphone in there for easy access but it doesn't quite fit (pushes up on the rubber cap).

• Squidslayer and 2beekeepers like this

#14 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:01 AM

Many if not most of the mountain bike stem -handle bar connections have a 2-piece clamp system that uses 3-4 Allen-headed bolts to tighten the clamp down. The Propel clamp system needs an update to this style clamp to totally eliminate the cracking issue of the cast aluminum clamp on the Propel unit.

• Squidslayer and AKFishOn like this

#15 R HUMM

R HUMM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:33 AM

The feedback being provided is excellent.  My hope would that ideas used might be designed and made available to those of us that have the older models.  Sure would be a good thing to have the option to update a SP that has acquired fishing mojo.  This would be especially appreciated if a redesigned quick release rudder is produced. 

#16 b737

b737

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:51 PM

Longer, wider (at the bottom) rudder blade for the Ultimate FX series.  I've already replaced the rudder pedals with "Toe pedals".  Otherwise, the U 12FX is perfect for me.

#17 2beekeepers

2beekeepers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationGassville, AR

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:36 PM

New to the forum and new to kayaking. Awaiting delivery of 2/SP 10's. Appreciate all the input here.

#18 celt

celt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:51 PM

An easy to install under-hull transducer option with the Propel series like Hobie has.

#19 SoonerBorn74

SoonerBorn74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationLake Texoma, Texas

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:37 PM

I also would like to see a transducer-ready scupper for the propel series and live bait well option.

#20 Gooback

Gooback

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:02 PM

Natives version of the JKrate for live bait/small cooler storage

scupper cavity for mounting transducers flush with the hull

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users