Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

BooneDox Propel Rudder Upgrade also for Mariner

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mudfish

Mudfish

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:47 PM

Another great product from the folks at BooneDox.

Most of the advertisements and reviews on the BooneDox Propel Rudder Upgrade that I have seen are for the Native Slayer Propel, but the same BooneDox Rudder was also designed for the Mariner Propel. On 12/01/14 I ordered a BooneDox Propel Rudder for one of my 2012 Native Mariner Propels, and within a few days it arrived at my home. I ordered mine directly from BooneDox while I had them on the phone addressing a few of my questions.

Just like my BooneDox t-BONE truck bed extender, the rudder is exceptional quality made from lightweight aluminum. It has nice welds and an excellent power coated finish with a nice decal.

Installation is simple with the extra long machine screw provided. I applied a few drops of blue Loctite to the screw threads.

I was immediately impressed with the rudder’s performance, but I wanted to get in a handful of fishing trips in before I submitted a review. The first thing I noticed is that with the slightest movement, the kayak would turn immediately. The OEM rudder on the Mariner is fine, but I think the Propel Unit over powers it, especially in reverse. With the stock rudder, it takes a much wider radius to turn compared to the BooneDox rudder. With the BooneDox rudder, if you turn the rudder handle all the way to one direction, as soon as you push the pedals you will turn on a dime. Extremely tight turning radius… instantly. Steering while coasting or drifting is great, and steering in reverse is much improved as well. It only took a few adjustments of the single Phillips screw to get it dialed in. At first I had it too tight, then too loose, and finally found the sweet spot.

I definitely recommend this product and will soon be ordering one for my other Mariner Propel.

In the first picture you can see the difference in the rudders on my two 2012 Mariner Propels.

Attached Files

• NOG Admin likes this

2015 Native Slayer Propel 13 (Camo)
2012 Native Mariner Propel 12.5 (Sand)
2011 Native Ultimate 14.5 with rudder (Sand)

"Fishing is not a matter of life or death . . . it's more important than that!"

#2 02seedoc

02seedoc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationWilmington NC

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:58 PM

Both are great products that I use regularly!

#3 UltimateBobWPB

UltimateBobWPB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:42 PM

Hi Mudfish, I just ordered one from Get Outdoors so I hope to install and test before a trip to Flamingo for Boondoggle the following week, anthing else you can share? I'm wondering if you find the way it protrudes past the stern is of any concern? I sometimes load for the ground onto my trailer, can I just turn it one way or the other to keep out of harms way. Also do you notice more control while anchored? That's for all the great info you post. Bob
Bob
Mariner12.5

#4 inrll

inrll

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:09 AM

I was wondering the same thing UltimatBobWPB. Also wondering if there is more of a need for micro managing the rudder while cruising because of its extra responsivness?

• Moxymo likes this

#5 Mudfish

Mudfish

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:12 PM

Thanks for asking, guys.  Here's an update...

I've been on numerous fishing trips, put in many hours, and pedaled many miles since installing the BooneDox Rudder on my Mariner and I am still very impressed with the product.  I will definitely be purchasing another one for my other Mariner.

(btw: the new "MultiQuote" option is pretty dang cool)

Hi Mudfish, I just ordered one from Get Outdoors so I hope to install and test before a trip to Flamingo for Boondoggle the following week, anthing else you can share? I'm wondering if you find the way it protrudes past the stern is of any concern? I sometimes load for the ground onto my trailer, can I just turn it one way or the other to keep out of harms way. Also do you notice more control while anchored? That's for all the great info you post. Bob

Bob,

I'm confident you'll be very happy with your purchase. 

a ) There are absolutely no concerns about the way it protrudes past the stern.  I load my Mariner stern-first in the bed of my truck and push it all the way forward until the kayak hits the front wall.  I just turn the rudder to one side so it doesn't hit the front wall of the truck bed.  The protruding rudder has never been a problem on the water, even when I occasionally back into the grass or mud bank to hold my position. 

b ) When I load my Mariner in the truck bed, I lift the bow and pivot it onto the bed extender.  This is not a problem because the new rudder actually sits higher than the keel.  Most of the weight is on the keel.  In other words, if the kayak is sitting on a flat surface it will be resting on the keel and not the rudder, as you can see in the first picture I posted above.

c ) I don't use an anchor, but I do use a stake-out pole with an anchor trolley.  While staked-out, the slightest movement of the rudder control will turn the kayak if there is some current.

I was wondering the same thing UltimatBobWPB. Also wondering if there is more of a need for micro managing the rudder while cruising because of its extra responsivness?

inrll,

The larger, stiffer rudder is definitely much more responsive than the oem rudder.  While pedaling or drifting, the response is immediate.  You will likely need to make a couple adjustments to the screw tension your first time out, so carry a phillips screwdriver with you.  Since my first trip I have never made any further adjustments to the screw.  I did apply a couple drops of Blue Loctite to the screw threads when I installed it, which has kept the tension from changing.  I would first snug it up pretty tight, and then back it off just a little.  You'll need a little tension on it to keep the rudder from moving on its own, but I would also avoid tightening it so much that it might put too much stress on the cables.  So, you'll have to find the sweet spot during the maiden voyage.

#6 remax

remax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:44 PM

I really need to order one of these. I am in Australia. Can anyone let me now who I can get to ship to Aussie. Thanks Reece

#7 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:59 PM

It would be more expensive to order from the U.S. but we sell them. http://www.shopgetou...er-upgrade.html If you would like a quote please send an email to info@shopgetoutdoors.com, listing you address and of course the Boonedox rudder.

-thanks

• Ayersjj likes this

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#8 UltimateBobWPB

UltimateBobWPB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:28 PM

After a few weeks of having the Boon Dox rudder Im completely happy happy with it. It installed very easily (use loctight!!), it turns on a dime and hardly needs the constant adjustment I seemed to need to make while cursing with the stock rudder. It's very well made. I don't have the concerns about it dragging (except on really hard surfaces). Glad I purchased one!!!

• NOG Admin likes this
Bob
Mariner12.5

#9 bassninja

bassninja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:00 PM

Moved

#10 Ayersjj

Ayersjj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:23 PM

Any instuction to tighten up the rudder wires? Seems like a lot of play in my boonedox rudder

Thx

#11 bassninja

bassninja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:39 PM

Any instuction to tighten up the rudder wires? Seems like a lot of play in my boonedox rudder

Thx

Not sure if the Mariner rudder system is designed similar to the Propel.  If so, there are two set screws under the ruder disc that secure the two ends of the cable.  Loosening one or both will allow you to take up any slack in the cable and center the rudder with the control handle.

#12 Mudfish

Mudfish

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:10 PM

The two bolts on the rudder disc are where the fixed ends of the cables are attached. No adjustment there, but leave enough play for the cable ends to freely rotate.

To make your cable adjustments, remove the side handle and cover, opposite the rudder control handle.  There is a single screw and clamp on the rudder handle pulley.

#13 lefty

lefty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:32 AM

Hi Mudfish, I'm thinking of installing a Boon Dox rudder on my Mariner. The only concern I have at this stage is not knowing if it will  add more stress on the steering cables making them prone to break more frequently.

I would be grateful to hear anyone's thoughts on this matter.

Cheers Lefty.

#14 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:38 AM

Lefty...if you do upgrade to the Boonedox, also get a new set of cables and make sure they are this years cables from current inventory. Native did upgrade the cables for this year. Make sure you do leave a slight bit of slack to the cables and do not over-tighten the clamping bolts. You can tighten those so much they will cut the cable strands, weakening the remaining cable.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#15 lefty

lefty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for the advice boykinsbuddy.

have you upgraded to the Boonedox rudder, if so how are you finding it?

#16 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:50 PM

I'm a paddler so I don't have a Propel but the guys I know that have Propels have upgraded to the Boonedox. It does make a difference. They just pay closer attention to the cable connections and replace them when they start to see any wear.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#17 lefty

lefty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:42 PM

Thanks again boykinsbuddy.

#18 Mudfish

Mudfish

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:34 PM

Hi Mudfish, I'm thinking of installing a Boon Dox rudder on my Mariner. The only concern I have at this stage is not knowing if it will  add more stress on the steering cables making them prone to break more frequently.

I would be grateful to hear anyone's thoughts on this matter.

Cheers Lefty.

Sorry for the late reply.  I have the Boonedox Rudders on my two Mariners and am still using the same cables.  I use my Mariners practically every weekend in saltwater and have never had a problem with the cables due to using the Boonedox Rudders.  Great product.  I received a new 2015 Slayer Propel 13 last week and have transferred one of the Boonedox Rudders to it.  I plan on fishing this Sunday and am anxious to see how it will improve the Slayer's steering.  With the stock rudder, the Slayer Propel 13 has the turning radius of a school bus.

Several of my fishing friends have the Boonedox Rudder on their Natives, and they all love it.  The only time I have seen a cable break was when one of my friends was launching stern first and pushed off in very shallow water.  The rudder got stuck on something and as he continued to push backwards, the cable broke at the hand lever.  There is nothing to stop the rudder from being pushed beyond it's limit and something's got to give. 

You can adjust the steering tension with the screw that holds the rudder to the disk.  I keep mine a little snug, just enough to keep the rudder from easily moving on its own.  In my opinion, there is no way possible for water pressure to break a steel cable.  There must be some other factors involved like corrosion, a kink, or backing into a rock.  Those are the same cables used for bicycle gears and brakes that endure a lot more tension, bending, and friction than a rudder on a kayak.

• Moxymo likes this

#19 lefty

lefty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:02 AM

Thank you very much for your feed back Mudfish.

#20 Gibaro4

Gibaro4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:29 PM

I bought a Boone Dox rudder from Austin Canoe and Kayak here in San Antonio, available on line also. It takes 5 minutes or less to replace the old rudder. What a difference, no more leaning to force the kayak to turn in a wide circle. This new rudder turns the Mariner in a dime and maintains the kayak tracking in a straight line with minimal effort. Very rugged construction.

I'm a satisfied customer.

• Moxymo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users