Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Spanner Wrench for Propel Lower Unit

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Hydophilic

Hydophilic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:34 PM

After trying to find a spanner wrench for the bottom unit on my propel, I lucked up at Harbor Freight. They have only one in the whole store and after I thought it was on the small size, I bought it. It works and it is cheap. Here is the link

http://www.harborfre....nch-36554.html

Upon opening the bottom, I found very little grease if any. Without the tool, I would have probably damaged my drive.

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:09 AM

That is cheap and as long as it works is a good find. I'll assume this is the first time you've opened the lower cassette? How long have you had/used the drive? The gear teeth should be completely coated with white lithium grease, not necessarily caked on but definitely no dry areas. -thanks for sharing.

#3 Hydophilic

Hydophilic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:08 PM

It was part of the new to me boat purchase. Luckily the prior owner may not have maintained it but they did not tear it up. Do not worry, the bottom and top gear hubs are now greased up extremely well and should be maintained as long as it is in my possession.

#4 UltimateBobWPB

UltimateBobWPB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:15 PM

I found this one extremely small and difficult to use, Sears online had a proper tool, made for automotive work, included a number of pins of different sizes, feel more confident with a real tool.
Bob
Mariner12.5

#5 Native Fisherman

Native Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:25 PM

great food for thought! I just recently acquired an "experienced" propel, so the first thing I will do is service the unit.
Thanks!

#6 chicken

chicken

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

Accidentally ran across this service kit and it's one of the better I have seen: http://berleypro.com...pel-service-kit

Attached File  Propel Service Kit.jpg   27.09KB   5 downloads

Happy Fishin' chicken ;) 2013 Mariner 12.5 - Sand

#7 YakDude

YakDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:25 PM

I bought the Harbor Freight spanner wrench and it works on upper and lower propel unit! Not sure how long the pins will hold up so I purchased the recommended spanner wrench from Sears. I'll probably use the Harbor Freight wrench on fishing trips since its small and compact. Not bad for $4.99!
  • YakDude likes this

#8 vercher

vercher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:35 PM

I purchased a spanner wrench from West Marine.  First time using it on the lower unit, the handle broke.  Mostly because I cannot for the life of me get the bottom unit to move.  It is on there extremely tight.  Suggestions?

#9 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:54 PM

Some can be rather hard to open and we've seen some of the lesser expensive wrenches break. Usually they are wrenched that have press fit pins, whether from harbor frieght or berly.

The wrench we use is this one http://www.amazon.co... spanner wrenchpins are threaded in and comes with both optimal sized pins for the upper and lower assembly.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#10 mlehmann

mlehmann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:46 PM

Guys, I COULD NOT get the lower unit off using the spanner wrench.  It is a newer propel and this is my first time trying.  Any tips?

#11 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:05 PM

Having someone assist with keeping the drive in place and a healthy dose of leverage usually will free it. Sometimes placing a metal tube over the wrench handle gives you enough leverage.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#12 mlehmann

mlehmann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:50 PM

Guys, I tried everything.  Having someone help, metal tube for more leverage... It WILL NOT come free.  Any other suggestions?  This is quite frustrating

#13 mikeyFish

mikeyFish

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Locationupstate SC

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:40 PM

01  PB Blaster usually works (Walmart or auto repair store).

02  You could try soaking the lower unit in hot water (remove plastic prop), however, it may deform the o-rings.

03  Google "how to unstick galled aluminum"

I once had galled bolts in aluminum mags & got them out with an air-driven impact wrench after soaking with PB Blaster (the hammering action seemed to break the galling), but you would have to come up with a way of grabbing hold of it & there's the possibility of breaking it.

Good luck, hope it comes off without breaking.

If (when) you get it off, consider Teflon tape on reinstall.

#14 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:00 PM

For stuck spark plugs in an aluminum engine block, mfgs suggest spraying the site with carb cleaner and let it soak overnight. Crack it a quarter turn and respray. Soak for a few more hours. You can also try a hair dryer on the aluminum to heat it up and ice on the covers. 

If you get it off, go to a bike shop and see if they have any thread lube for titanium bikes. That will prevent the stuck threads you are experiencing. You may also want to go ahead and take it to your dealership if possible to let them open it up...that way it is on them.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#15 mlehmann

mlehmann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:56 AM

Hey thanks guys.  The PB Blaster worked!  That followed by hitting the spanner wrench really hard with a hammer.  Finally got it greased up so I don't have to worry about it anymore!

Thanks for all the suggestions.  My next step was taking it to the dealer... But that is 90min away.

• NOG Admin likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users