Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Propel Drive Growling Fix

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mikeyFish

mikeyFish

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Locationupstate SC

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:11 AM

I have two Mariners with Propel drives. One of them has always worked fine. The other one made a growling noise when it was new & after a couple of trips locked up on the lake. Sent it back to Native for repair & it worked ok, but still made the growling noise & was harder to peddle. About a year later, lubricated the gears but not much difference. Well, started into 3rd season & it locked down again. This time I decided to find out for myself why it locked down. Took out the lower drive cartridge & the Propel turned easily. The cartridge shaft would turn, but putting the least bit of side-loading on it & it would stick. So I decided to tear into it. What I found was that one of the 2 larger bearings was locked down & the other had a lot of drag. So I ordered some bearings & fixed it. I was very pleased that now the drive works much better than when it was new. The growling noise is gone. However, putting both Propels on my workshop table, I notice now that the other Propel drive is making the same (not nearly as loud) growling noise as the Propel that locked up. Looks like it won’t be long before the bearings in my second lower cartridge get replaced. (Note: I only fish in fresh water lakes.) Noticed a BIG difference in the end play (i.e. how much the propeller shaft will move in/out of the cartridge) between the rebuilt unit & the other drive. I suspect that once there is enough end play (via bearing wear) the propeller gear will not mesh properly with the drive gear & the sticking & slipping fun will begin. Looks like the growling & end play are indicators of impending paddling. The attached .pdf describes the parts & tools needed to replace the bearings. Hope some of y’all find it useful.

Attached Files

• Squidslayer and alwaysfishing like this

#2 ras

ras

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:13 PM

I'm new to the group and have never torn a Propel system apart. However, it sounds like water is getting into the bearings causing them to fail. Is there a shaft seal? If not, the bearings should be self sealed. At any rate, it sounds as though it is either a design issue or routine maintenance requirements.

#3 mikeyFish

mikeyFish

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Locationupstate SC

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:53 AM

Yes, there's a shaft seal. There was no water inside the lower unit, but there was some surface corrosion on the propeller gear & a slight amount on the bearings. Since the upper section of the drive isn't air tight, probably getting a little condensation inside. I did put marine grease on the bearing surfaces before putting it back together & used the grease recommended by Native on the gears. Replacing the bearings is about a half hour job, so even if it has to be done every 2 or 3 years, beats paddling for hours.

#4 ras

ras

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:46 AM

I think routine maintenance and lubrication may negate the need to replace the bearings. BTW, were the bearings a standard available at local bearing sources?

#5 mikeyFish

mikeyFish

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Locationupstate SC

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:04 PM

Hi ras, If you’ll login you can open the initial attachment & get all the info on the bearings & tools needed to replace them (even has how-to pictures). The Propel has all sealed bearings. Hopefully, you’ll never need the info. Have fun!

#6 Mudfish

Mudfish

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

Nice job on the pdf. Thanks!

#7 ras

ras

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:56 AM

Thank you. I downloaded the pdf but hopefully want have a need for it. Good job on the details!

#8 dltampa

dltampa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:23 PM

Nice work. Thanks for sharing.

#9 mikeyFish

mikeyFish

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Locationupstate SC

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:05 PM

Uploaded deleted pdf on how to replace cartridge bearings (removed during site problems). Contains how-to, tools, parts for repair (All available via Amazon).

#10 ssuajk

ssuajk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:57 PM

What are your year models?  Seems like a pain for standard freshwater usage? 

2014 Native Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick (SeaDek Camo) Retired Air Force (26 Years)

#11 mikeyFish

mikeyFish

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Locationupstate SC

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:52 AM

both yaks 2011. 

#12 T-Bone

T-Bone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:32 PM

I am having the same issue and I grease it every third time. It also went back to Native for locking up. Maybe Native can send a Mod kit to the customers having issues. Great kayak but would be nice not to keep having issues 

#13 mikeyFish

mikeyFish

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Locationupstate SC

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:38 PM

I am having the same issue and I grease it every third time. It also went back to Native for locking up. Maybe Native can send a Mod kit to the customers having issues. Great kayak but would be nice not to keep having issues 

hi T-Bone,

I've seen a lot of posts over the years with same problem. Sign in and download the attached pdf. If it's a bearing problem, it's pretty easy & inexpensive to fix (except for the spanners, which are needed for routine maintenance anyway). My Propel cartridge had a lot of krud, so even worst case, a 30 minute job. I am certain of one thing: If I used my yak on the ocean, I would carry a spare cartridge (a very quick repair assuming waves are not too awesome).

Also, you may want to carry a tow rope. I'm attaching a pdf that shows you how to make one. It sure beats paddling for miles. Glad you like your yak, I like mine so much for fishing, I hardly use my powered boat anymore. 

Attached Files

#14 alwaysfishing

alwaysfishing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:13 AM

mikeyFish-The pdf file that you posted are those the exact bearings that you used?  Thanks so much this is really going to help out. All the bearings on mine have locked up. Thank god I have a extra drive.

#15 mikeyFish

mikeyFish

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Locationupstate SC

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:23 PM

hi alwaysfishing,

The bearings listed in the pdf are the exact bearings I used (from Amazon). Note that the bearings are for the lower cartridge, don't know about upper part of drive, haven't had problems there.

Read the pdf carefully, it's very important you don't damage the gear on the cartridge. Also, Native sells a complete lower cartridge, if you fish on the ocean or isolated areas, not a bad idea to have a spare. Both my Propels have had the exact same problem, so could be the weak link in the drive.

Good luck with your repair, if you see anything I've missed, let us know.

#16 Squidslayer

Squidslayer

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:30 PM

Thanks MikeyFish for the info.

Squid

• GKING likes this

Slayer propel - Blue lagoon

Adelaide - South Australia

#17 SpRe

SpRe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:42 PM

Thanks to MikyFish for the Excellent reference and pdf

SpRe

#18 droche

droche

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:35 PM

great reference PDF.

do you, or anyone else, know which bearings would fit for the upper gear assembly for the crank arm bearings? want to replace just these bearings and buy them easy on amazon

#19 Squidslayer

Squidslayer

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:18 AM

I think you will be looking for a 6203 bearing for the crank spindle.

same as:

https://www.thebigbe...aring-17x40x12/

Squid

Slayer propel - Blue lagoon

Adelaide - South Australia

#20 jostephens

jostephens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:58 PM

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be any movement of the lower drive bearing shaft after everything is back in place, I replaced the bearings and with the screw tight as it will go, there is some play between the screw and the gear, my wife says it is smooth and quite now but slips a gear tooth now and then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users