Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Help me make the right decision!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fmm1

fmm1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

Guys i'm in the process of selling my current yak to buy a new Native. My old is a F&S Eagle Talon 12. I'm looking at two kayaks and I think I know which route im going but looking for confirmation that i'm making the right move. I'm looking at the Ultimate 12 FX and the Slayer 14.5. Based on the research i've done and as awesome as the FX is, I think the Slayer may be my best option. I fish the flats of the Tampa Bay area which includes both the bay and coastal areas. My biggest concern in the ultimate is that it's not self bailing. Would you guys agree that a Slayer is my best option? Short introduction: My name is Mike, and i'm primarily a bass fisherman from Lakeland, Florida. Saltwater fish as I can in between bass tournaments but looking to put a little more focus on the kayaking this season, hence the new kayak. :cool: I appreciate any input!

#2 Gray

Gray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Fl

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

There is a good comparison over on the Blog post that will help you with that decision.

#3 fmm1

fmm1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

Appreciate that info! Took a look at it and it definitely didn't make the decision any easier. I love scuppers and the ease of a SOT but I love the layout of the FX. Going to head over to Bill Jacksons in Pinellas Park. They have them both I believe and I can take them both out for a test ride.

#4 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

Fantastic on trying them both out...that is definitely the best thing you can do. Try and spend more than a few minutes in them and see how well you can get in and out of them. Consider this where you fish...how is the access? How deep is the water at the access? I would also consider bringing your gear and load the boats and paddle them loaded...they may handle totally different than when they are empty.
Here is the blog post for others...
http://www.nativeown...-long.#comments

If you are fishing the bay with lots of boat traffic out there...I would consider the Slayer over the Ultimate. The new FX does float higher and you can also put the optional front deck on it to help shed waves...but the back is still open and the way the boat trims...the tail sits properly a bit lower than the bow. Sit-on-tops are also easier to get back into just by chance you would flip.

#5 fmm1

fmm1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

Thank you very much for the advice! Worth way more than you know!

#6 fmm1

fmm1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:30 AM

Made my decision! Check out the Slayer forum!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users