Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone using a bucket instead of crate?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jbon83

jbon83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:18 PM

Got a Mata Ray 14 a month or so ago and been out a few times in it. I have been working on my rig out and making adjustments as I go. Im currently using a crate but noticed how back is molded to accept a 5 gallon bucket. Is anyone using a bucket instead of a crate and hows it working?

#2 bheff

bheff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

I really never thought of a bucket for a kayak, but makes perfect sense. I use a 5 gallon bucket to shore fish. Even made a little foamed padded seat with a hole cut out so I drop brim in it without getting up! Ill look into it for my daughters Tarpon 100, if you try it, post some pics.

#3 mangonboat

mangonboat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

Now there's an idea with legs! 1) Comes with a built in ,one-handed handle 2)You can buy a tool caddy from Home Depot, Northern Tools, etc. that will have pockets designed for hammers, pliers, etc but will securely hold a rod butt, a flag or a net handle. Because the caddy fits around the circumference of the bucket rim it tends to balance out for one-handed carry of all your gear. Saves making a second trip back to the car and takes up a lot less room than a kayak caddy/cart. 3) You can mount several pad eyes around the mid-section of the bucket , sealed with silicone gunk, to secure the bucket to bungees, rod leashes, etc. without losing water-carrying capability 4) You can use a bucket as a drag anchor in a pinch..can't do that with a milk crate! . I could fancy and actually BUY a bucket from Home Depot and it would match my Mango MR11 ( a color now known as "Road Cone Orange").

#4 rick67

rick67

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

Posted Image I tried the bucket. It was to high to see what i was reaching for. Unless you use a 3 gallon bucket. I need the wheels cause I beach launch most the time and having them in scuppers, pushes the bucket out of that recess. There is a after market top that's a screw on design that I've seen guys using. You should really try it first and flip the Kayak and see how you can deal with up-righting it bungee'd to the yak. The crate doesn't have a problem if I turtle in the surf.

#5 jbon83

jbon83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

I didn't think about the height of the bucket being an issue. I guess I just need to try it out and see if it works for me. I'll post some pictures test it it out.

#6 mangonboat

mangonboat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:51 PM

I confirmed that the semi-circular raised rim in the tank well fits perfectly around the rim of a 5 gallon bucket. The stock bungees are pretty tame so something with greater grab would be necessary to hold a 5 gal bucket securely in place if you load it up with gear. I've got a 3.5 bucket that is the same diameter as a standard 5 gallon, so I am going to experiment with both, but the height of the 5 gallon didn't seem to be a problem. I am shopping for a fishing-specific bucket caddy, i.e., dedicated rod holders, tackle box pockets, that goes around the bucket , so few needs to poke around inside the bucket , itself/

#7 jbon83

jbon83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:25 AM

OK so I'm off of the bucket idea and I've moved on to an idea using an ice chest. Will post pictures when I get it built.

#8 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:29 PM

I found a big bright orange equipment box that has a waterproof seal around the lid in the boating section of a large fishing store. It is almost the size of a crate, has an easy latch lid and a tackle tray inside. I mounted a set of rod holders on one side. I can keep about everything I need inside...as long as it is latched, I don't have to worry much about water getting in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users