Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

What's your expereicne with the small "dry" storage hatches on MR?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mangonboat

mangonboat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:22 AM

We just got a second Manta Ray , a MR 12. It's my wife's boat and she really likes it. But rolling it several times yesterday to practice re-entries ( it was warm in the water and the air!), I noticed that the two small hatches (one between the knees and the other behind the seat) repeatedly popped open, flooded, popped out and created a gaping opening into the interior of the hull that is supposed to be watertight. I kept checking that the covers were properly seated, as best as the design allows, even made sure the bungees were over the cover of the one between the knees, but rolling the boat popped them open almost every time. This means they are essentially worthless for storage and, worse, put a real damper on using the boat in big water as they can lead to a hull filled with water and loss of floatation. Anybody else having this problem? Any ideas on how how I can secure the cover so it stays put? Beyond a wide, heavy rubber band stretched around the rim of the cover, I cant think of a solution that would seal while retaining function of those small "dry storage" hatches.

#2 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

If they are fitted on properly, they are water tight. They can press on, but you can tell when they seat right...they are actually a bit difficult to get off if they are on correctly. You need to start them at one point and work the seal around the hatch in both directions at the same time. Make sure the hatch seal gets completely over and locked in at the bottom of the hatch ring/lip. If you are having problems with them, take the boat back to your dealership and show them what is going on. Good luck.

#3 mangonboat

mangonboat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

The main hatch cover seems to seal tightly ( like the main hatch on my MR 11) but those little round ones are pretty floppy. I will try again, making sure the lids are sealed as best as they are capable of. Paddled the MR 12 Friday and got lots of water into the "dry" area of the hull, not a drop Saturday in the MR11. I also discovered that the drain plug on the side of the MR is helpful but will not drain the boat completely. Not a big deal..just set the boat on the ground with its nose lower than the tail , open the main hatch and sponge out the water.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users