Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Improving your visibility to other boats

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 J.A. Veil

J.A. Veil

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

I am a strong believer in making yourself visible when on the water. There are many powerboats and sailboats plying the waters where I live and fish. I chose bright orange colors for two of my kayaks -- Slayer Propel and Manta Ray 14, and Lizard Lick for my new Manta Ray 11. Many paddlers add flags to their kayaks. Those do help your visibility. But I have observed that brightly colored moving paddle blades are more visible at a distance than a flag. I previously used a paddle with yellow blades. It was visible from a long distance away. Last fall, I upgraded to a very light Werner Ikelos carbon fiber paddle. I love the light weight, large blade area, and stiffness that the Ikelos provides. The only thing I did not like was the lack of visibility of the black carbon fiber blade color. I added strips of white reflective tape and yellow plastic tape to both sides of the blades to improve visibility. [ATTACH=CONFIG]5001[/ATTACH] Yesterday I fished with my buddy who has a paddle kayak. I fished from my Slayer Propel. He forgot to bring his paddle and borrowed mine for the day. I was able to see the two paddle blades moving up and down from more than half a mile away on a tidal river. I hated to deface the sleek looking black Werner paddle blade but am very pleased with the safety element the tape provides.

#2 Bassassin

Bassassin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:33 PM

Great post John! Being visible on public waters is critical especially in the time that pleasure boaters are out in full strength and appear to be on to have no courtesy or concern for others safety!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users