Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Ideas For Weed Guard for Propel Drive

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Mikem

Mikem

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:00 PM

I mounted cutter blades made from stainless steel steak knife with serrated edge. Felt that the serrations would increase cutting ability. Filed flat spot on prop on 2 opposing sides.

prop%20weed%20cutters_zpsnfrbioci.jpg

Drilled mounting holes and attached 2 blades with stainless screws.

prop%20weed%20cutters%204_zpsi3zorpyf.jp

Marginal success in fresh water Hornwart.

I suspect the prop is not turning fast enough as 2 plastic, serrated edge cutters on my Minn-Kota work in the same vegetation very well.

#22 JoeB47130

JoeB47130

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:41 PM

Ninja blade weed cutter.....problem solved.

#23 Banjo46

Banjo46

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:56 AM

Ninja blade weed cutter.....problem solved.

Was just thinking the same thing!  Can you install a ninja?

#24 Mikem

Mikem

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:28 AM

Joeb and Banjo -- 

Are you saying you have put the Ninja system on a Native Propel and it worked fine?

I know they work on electric motors, but don't find any posts from someone who has put them on Propel.

Will give the Ninja a shot if you guys say it worked on your propels. 

Thanks

#25 JoeB47130

JoeB47130

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:12 AM

Thot it would work but it doesn't seem to fit.....maybe try grinding it down? Will repost if i can get it 2 work.

#26 JoeB47130

JoeB47130

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:14 AM

It is 2 wide out of the box. Could possibly add a stainless steel bracket....not sure just yet.

#27 Shutupandreel

Shutupandreel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:41 PM

John Kiffmeyer here from Native Watercraft. I wanted to pass along that this is something that is definitely on our radar. We are looking into both Propeller shape and Weed Cutters to work toward "weed free" options for the Propel. That MossHawg definitely caught my attention and it has been on my list of inspiring devices. Often times we are aware of these types of things but it takes time to get them tested and into action. I at least want you to know we recognize the annoyance of weeds in the Propel, even when using the reverse feature to clear, and hope to have a solution in the future. As always, please feel free to contact me with results from your experiments or ideas that you have found in the field.

I love my Propel but like the rest I agree weeds are a huge drawback.  I was playing around with water bottles trying to make a sleeve that would cover the gap but I'm not sure if they would be strong enough or even work as far as that goes.  I like the idea of 2 blades in opposite directions. Maybe I'll try both and get something to work.  

Does Native no longer monitor this website?  

#28 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:26 AM

I've long felt that the issue has a lot to do with the 'antique' shape of the motor unit itself and drew up and submitted a design for what the trolling motor industry has gone to ages ago to make the housing deflect weeds better. The lower unit should be shaped on its leading edge to deflect weeds down from the shaft itself. The problem is that it costs so much money from the get-go to design something or retool a mold, that it becomes cost prohibitive. Simple fixes for the cable clamps. the top tube clamp, or even the design of the steering handle are out there but it costs so much to retool it is crazy. Competition is a good thing...if Jackson gets their pedal drive going and it proves to shed more weeds, perhaps that competition will force a change in design...al the other new pedal drives look like they will run into the same issue with a straight vertical drive shaft. It may be good for long term sales to redirect the money it takes to produce a new model to instead retool and update what Native currently has. Only time will tell.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#29 tennis_is_no1

tennis_is_no1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:03 AM

I mounted cutter blades made from stainless steel steak knife with serrated edge. Felt that the serrations would increase cutting ability. Filed flat spot on prop on 2 opposing sides.

prop%20weed%20cutters_zpsnfrbioci.jpg

Drilled mounting holes and attached 2 blades with stainless screws.

prop%20weed%20cutters%204_zpsi3zorpyf.jp

Marginal success in fresh water Hornwart.

I suspect the prop is not turning fast enough as 2 plastic, serrated edge cutters on my Minn-Kota work in the same vegetation very well.

Just a thought..........It may be more efficient to mount the blades at 45 degrees (?) to the propeller shaft (instead of parallel) to compensate for the lower propeller speed.  (I have not tried this yet). 

#30 Mikem

Mikem

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:51 PM

Like your idea 'tennis'. I will try that next week. Thanks

#31 Shutupandreel

Shutupandreel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:44 PM

I tried your method tennis but I tried a double sided carpet razor blade so it would cut in forward or reverse..  I wouldn't suggest anyone trying this it's very dangerous!   It still wasn't 100% but i don't think anything is. The times I did get weeds I had to be very careful of where the blade was.  I tried the double sided so it would cut in forward or reverse.

#32 Shutupandreel

Shutupandreel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:02 PM

Sorry guys just can't seem to figure out how to post the pics

#33 Banjo46

Banjo46

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:38 PM

Any luck here? Was hoping for a solution from Native at iCast. Spent a lot of time in the weeds bass fishing.

#34 Chalksaunders

Chalksaunders

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:04 PM

I just ordered one of these, will post results after giving it a try. I am using an aluminum washer to fill the gap now but this looks interesting.
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=j9WudBeikkw
http://www.ebay.com....PsAAOSw1xhZphe1

#35 Anchorbobby

Anchorbobby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:07 PM

Chalksanders. Can u post a pic of the washer on the drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users