Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Ideas For Weed Guard for Propel Drive

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 The Riddler

The Riddler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationBoston, Massachusetts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

Figured I would start a new thread on this after reading Jiggilin's comments from a not so pleasant outing in a weedy area.

I experienced the limitations of the slayer, during a tournament on the week end. 49 hobies and me and I was passed by the entire field on both days before we got out of the bay. The tournament area had a heap of free floating ribbon style weed, which when wrapped around the propel, made the yak feel like it was towing the queen mary.

It was pointless clearing the propel as it would weed up as soon as you started again, I'm not talking about a lot of weed either just a few strands, but the impact on the propel was substantial.

I think as a community we can all come up with a solution for this.

#2 The Riddler

The Riddler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:03 PM

Using any typical weed guard Cage type for trolling motor will work but it will be impossible to lift the drive. There is however a company out of the UK, that makes a prop protector that can severe weeds and rope. I wonder if there is a way we can make something with a cutting blade action like they have? Don't know if there is enough room to add it on right behind the prop. Thoughts?

#3 damuniz

damuniz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

Before I joined this forum I owned a bass boat with trolling motor. I tried the cage type of weed guard but they just don't work. I found a blade type guard that mounted to the side of the motor along the back of the prop. It did an excellent job of cutting the weeds/line off the prop.

Something like this but with only a single blade and it attached with hose clamps.
Mosshog.
http://innovativeout....net/index.html

Edit:
I recall that if the prop did get fouled you only had to reverse it for a few seconds to clear it (after the weeds were cut).

#4 The Riddler

The Riddler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

Sorry for the late response....great idea! That's exactly what I was talking about. I have not had a weed issue yet but I'm sure I will.

#5 JohnKiffmeyer

JohnKiffmeyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:05 AM

John Kiffmeyer here from Native Watercraft. I wanted to pass along that this is something that is definitely on our radar. We are looking into both Propeller shape and Weed Cutters to work toward "weed free" options for the Propel. That MossHawg definitely caught my attention and it has been on my list of inspiring devices. Often times we are aware of these types of things but it takes time to get them tested and into action. I at least want you to know we recognize the annoyance of weeds in the Propel, even when using the reverse feature to clear, and hope to have a solution in the future. As always, please feel free to contact me with results from your experiments or ideas that you have found in the field.

#6 The Riddler

The Riddler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:30 PM

Thanks John. Weed growth is in it's infant stage up here in Mass. I plan on buying this and testing it out.

#7 gazn357

gazn357

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

Weeds are definitly problem in TX lakes i fish and have brought me to a halt several times. have picked up monofilament several times jiggin banks as well. Would like a solution to this problem...

#8 Zulli

Zulli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:13 PM

Is there any ideas floating around yet on this. A huge problem in the lakes I fish. Playing around with the one I saw on YouTube. But the propeller just doesn't spin fast enough.

#9 forkmonkey

forkmonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:02 PM

Went out in Monterey Bay yesterday (second time out in the new Propel 13, caught plenty of fish!) and the prop would foul pretty regularly. Some weather had come through the week before, breaking up the kelp beds and churning up the ribbon kelp.

It's not a big deal to manually clear unless the kelp really wraps in the gap between the prop and the drive. Closing or shrouding that gap would, I think, really help. It's not practical to pull out the hex wrench to completely clear it a mile offshore in choppy seas.

The cutters are a great idea. I do hope we can get an aftermarket design to try out.

#10 uat

uat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:26 PM

Has anyone tried MossHawg yet?  Do they work well with Propel?

#11 GillGrabber

GillGrabber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Missouri

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:40 PM

Kinda low tech...but it works.  #11 X-acto blades

Attached Files

• Squidslayer likes this

#12 skidsteer

skidsteer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:58 AM

Kinda low tech...but it works.  #11 X-acto blades

Very cool, simple idea ...

How about a double-sided blade so you can cut in forward and reverse - just in case you need it?

#13 GillGrabber

GillGrabber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:07 PM

Attached a blade on the other side...only reversed so it cuts in reverse.

#14 Bobby Sprankle

Bobby Sprankle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:10 AM

Has anyone come up with anything different that works. I'm going to be in a tournament where there is a ridiculous amount of weeds..Think I'm going to try the exact knife method. Gillgrabber are you still having success with this or has anyone else had success with it?

#15 Bradleto

Bradleto

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:45 AM

One other approach that I am not sure I have seen discussed is looking at something akin to the weed guards used for jigs

I wish I had time to experiment but I'd be looking at nylon bristles positioned and patterned (flared) in front of the prop. 

These could and should be:

1) flexible enough so the prop can be lowered and raised effectively;

2) and, they should not rotate with the prop blades as this might negatively affect drag on the prop blades.

But, the general idea here would be to deflect weeds before they get to the blades almost like an icebreaker on a ship.

Too, there is a simple solution to the prop design that would eliminate the occasional stringy weeds that can wrap around that crevice in the prop assembly.

And, there is also a very easy way to greatly increase the stability of Propels, other kayaks, too. But, that is another subject.

Brad

#16 GillGrabber

GillGrabber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:24 PM

Still liking the X-acto #11 blades.  They're stainless steel, won't rust, easy to change out if you break one.  And they work.

#17 Anton

Anton

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:34 PM

Nothing worse than getting braid caught around your prop, especially when the fish are biting. :angry:

I have spent many an hour of lost fishing time trying to unravel braid from the prop. <_<

Now, I keep an eagle eye on my lines while trawling, especially if I am doing a big arc to go back to the school.

Slayer Propel 13 - cammo

Please visit my YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube....6MPsArt1wMSzOHQ

#18 DRC

DRC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:35 PM

Had fly line stuck around prop a while back and that was real interesting getting that untangled. Thankfully the prop hole in the boat was big enough for me to pass my fly reel through so I could at least get my rod out of the equation. Had no tool to take prop apart so had to wait until I got home to get the fly line untangled. Lesson learned, never leave home with out the allen wrench to take prop off while on the water.

#19 YakDude

YakDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:50 PM

I've had my Propel 13 now for a month and I can say the weed obstructions on the prop is the only major downside to this fine fishing machine! Floating grass is a major problem on several Central Texas area lakes, and I'm now very hesitant to launch my Propel in these types of waters! I'm not the most mechanically inclined guy in the world and would hate to make any retrofitted changes to my Propel unit that might void the warranty! If you're listening Watercraft R&D, put your problem-solving brilliant minds together and come up with an aftermarket solution to this rather vexing problem! Thanks!

#20 Bobby Sprankle

Bobby Sprankle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 08:44 PM

Yea I would love to see an aftermarket solution to this so long as it doesn't break the bank. Where I normally fish here in Florida I have no problems. But last time I was in lousiana I had to pull the prop out every 10 minutes to clear it. Weather had a lot to do with it but I'm going back and don't want to be in the same situation so I'm going to try the exacto blades.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users