Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Hanging yak through scuppers for storage?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mangonboat

mangonboat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

Any reason I shouldn't hang my yak for storage by a stout nylon rope looped through the front and read scupper holes? That way I can hang the yak from bike hooks screwed into the joists under my deck and it will be out of the sun and acid rain and wrens wont try to build a nest in it.

#2 nraycroft

nraycroft

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

Mangonboat, generally any direct pressure on/around the scupper holes should be avoided. I know some folks who (in various Manufacturer branded kayaks) stick their stake-out pole through the scupper holes all to later find out that the stress on this area then causes a crack to occur. In the same manner in which you propose hanging the kayak, you could just run the rope under the kayak (with it hanging upside down, thus preventing any "oil canning" in the bottom of the hull). I also hung one by the handles for a while...and never experienced any issues. When you get it figured out and get it hung up, post a picture for others to see your idea! Take care, Nathan "Nook" Raycroft

#3 mangonboat

mangonboat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Indeed, a crack propagating from one of the scupper holes would be hard to fix. I'm thinking if I flip it over and hang it from two PVC "trapeze" slings, one slipped over each end, that would do the trick. I did that years ago for a canoe, and found that it made hanging the boat a lot easier. I would slip one end into a fixed-length sling while the other end of the boat rested on the ground, then ran a line for the other sling through a pulley block attached to the joist above, so I could raise the boat to a level position then tie off the line to a cleat mounted to the wall.

#4 nraycroft

nraycroft

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

Yes, sir...that sounds about exactly how I hung the one in my shop years ago. Get it started on one end with the strap/rope keeping the set position, then lift the back end and cinch it up! Nook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users