Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Rear mounted skeg using tagalong wheel bracket

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mangonboat

mangonboat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

Here are some photos showing the final product. All SUP center fins have a pin through the front of the base and a screw hole through the rear of the base. I can run a shear pin through the front pin to limit the forward /downward rotation . As I said, 'd love to figure out how to use that rear hole to adjust the skeg orientation while underway, but so far I can only figure how to pull it up and back. Fixing it in a down/forward position would defeat the kick-back when you hit an obstruction or the bottom . [ATTACH=CONFIG]4739[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4740[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4741[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4742[/ATTACH]

#2 hygieneboy

hygieneboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

Great idea ;) I may have to try this on my Slayer 12, I have a couple spare SUP fins. I may use spacers/bolts to length rather than bending the bracket. It seems like it would definitely help when stand up paddling the Slayer. And with creative use of paracord and bungie you could make it lower/raise on command like a rudder.

http://www.nativeown...99686#post99686

Did it ;)

#3 mangonboat

mangonboat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:17 PM

Just a quick update on a few months of paddling with and without the skeg on the MR 11. I have been paddling every weekend, sometimes Sunday and Saturday. Ive been playing in moving Class I-III water and learned real quick to take the skeg off if I'm going to be in any kind of moving water. On the days I paddle falt water, the significantly improved tracking in flat water, especially with the skeg in the kicked-back position, is great but it comes with a significant loss of maneuverability. In flat water its simply a slower turn, but in moving water the inability to kick the rear of the boat over and change directions quickly was very noticeable. I also went over a ledge with the skeg still in place and the bracket landed squarely on a notch in the ledge as the boat slid over and it brought me to an immediate stop. All that being said, I am having a great time playing in the boulder gardens and ledges, moving upstream and down as I find eddies and chutes, and I am also enjoying the tracking improvement with the skeg when I am paddling flat water. Pretty soon I'm going to get tired of playing and start fishing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users