Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Thigh straps?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mangonboat

mangonboat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

I am fitting out my MR11 and at least half of my fishing and paddling is going to be on moving water, including some areas with Class II rapids, ledges and standing waves. The sit-on kayaking folks advocate thigh straps for better boat control on white water, but I've never seen them on anybody's fishing yak. I know knee and toe straps make a huge difference when I'm paddling a canoe in white water from a saddle. Anybody have any experience with thigh straps?

#2 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

I put them on my MR 14 for rough seas. They work. Get up with the guys from Get:Outdoors and ask them to get you a set of Dagger Torrent thigh straps and make sure you ask for the hardware to put them on. The Torrent straps work well and if you work at it...you can even get a decent Eskimo roll with them if you crank them down on your thighs. To get out from under them if you do flip and can't roll...just relax and do an underwater summersault and you will come right out.

#3 mangonboat

mangonboat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

Thanks for the feed back. I have been looking at potential mounting points at the shin and hip. The upper mounting screws for the adjustable foot brace rails seem to be about the right place for the lower attachment point, just above the ankle, and those screws go into a brass bushing molded into the body of the yak, so that should be a stout anchor point. I am thinking a small loop of 1.5" nylon strap with a brass or stainless eyelet , with the existing screw running through the eyelet and then through the foot brace rail, would work well, and the loop would also be a handy spot to hang a lightweight carabiner that I could use to quickly secure retainer leashes to small pieces of gear. There is already a strap slot for the seat strap at the hip on both sides and another loop of nylon strap could be secured there, as well.

#4 Higgy

Higgy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:15 PM

I installed the Seals Kayak Thigh Straps from Austin Kayak on my MR12 Angler. Works great, gives you much more control and power. I can even do a roll. Looks pretty cool too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users