Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Propel Manual, Maintenance, Tools & Parts Diagram (2014)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:24 AM

Native has release an updated manual and maintenance instructions for the Propel drive. *Parts diagrams are attached to the second post below. Must be loved in to view/download.

Here are a few highlights:

Maintenance and Service

Much like the drive train of a bike, the Propel™ will require routine inspection and maintenance. Native Watercraft recommends maintenance every 6 months, or 75 days of use. The main purposes of these services are to ensure the internal gears of the unit remain properly lubricated and the covers remain tight and sealed. Failure to maintain these two key points may result in abnormal wearing of the gears and eventual failure of the unit. If you do not feel comfortable performing the prescribe maintenance, please contact your local dealer or Native Watercraft for assistance.

Cleaning of your Propel™

Spray off Propel™ with a water hose after each use, especially after use in saltwater. Do not use a high pressure car wash type sprayer.

Regular Maintenance Instructions

 Check Covers
The covers are threaded into the Propel™ frame and use thread locker to ensure they do not come loose due to vibration and the rotational motion of the spindle. However, to ensure the proper function of the internal gears, it is important that the covers are completely threaded and flush to the frame. Visually inspect the top and bottom covers and, if necessary, use a spanner wrench to tighten. These covers should be inspected before every use. If the covers are loose, or have been removed, they should be reassembled using blue thread locker on the cap threads.

Lubricate Upper Gear Set

Your Propel™ utilizes gears that have been specifically designed for the most efficient and quiet transmission of your pedaling power. In order to ensure the same smooth function from the day you first purchased your boat, the gears will require a small amount of lubrication. Through the convenient grease port, you will be able to apply grease directly to the gears using an extended nozzle and Teflon grease. A lubrication kit can also be purchased from your local dealer. Remove grease port screw using a 3/16” hex wrench. Use an extended nose grease gun to reach gears. Inject 2 to 3 pumps of grease and replace grease port screw. Rotate crank arms slowly to apply grease throughout the gear assembly.

Lubricate Lower Gear Set

Remove the propeller by following the “Shear Pin Replacement” instructions on the facing page. Next, remove the cartridge using a spanner wrench with 3/16” pins.
Grease the Propeller Gear on the cartridge with 2 pumps from the grease gun. Grease the Lower Trans-mission Gear by inserting the extended nose grease gun and injecting 2 pumps onto the gear.

Return the cartridge to the main body. Be careful of gear conflict during the replacement of the housing. To avoid damage to gears, tighten by hand as much as possible, and if you feel resistance, stop and rotate the propeller spindle counterclockwise a few degrees .

For the full manual pertaining to 301 & 401 series Propel

Attached Files

• AAB0417 likes this

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

In addition to the Manual, Native has kindly shared the current parts diagram for the unit. (bottom of post)

In addition to the previous addition, the following tools with descriptions of use are needed for complete disassembly.

• Large Spanner Wrench o Upper Assembly Caps and Propeller Cartridge http://www.amazon.co... spanner wrench Can also be found at most automotive stores. 

• Small Spanner Wrench o Propel Seal Nut and Crank Gear Nut  http://www.amazon.co..../dp/B001B6RJXI o Can also be found through bike shops

• Crankarm Puller o For removing the crankarms from the square taper spindle.  http://www.amazon.co..../dp/B0028YUZSS

• 8mm Hex Wrench o Crankarm Bolts

• 4mm Hex Wrench o Thwart Tube Bolts, Propeller Bolts, and Casting Bolts

• 1/8” Hex Wrench o Drive Shaft and Propeller Shaft Gear Bolts

• 15mm Open Ended Wrench o Pedals

• Needle Nose Pliers and 2mm Hex Wrench o Anti-Ventilation Plate Propel Drive Parts

Most are stocked by Native and can be ordered through your local dealer or www.shopgetoutdoors.com Tools - Native is planning to put together a tool kit with the above listed items but it is not currently available.

Attached File  401_series_propel.pdf   306.63KB   32 downloads

Attached Files

• AAB0417 likes this

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 dirtridn2002

dirtridn2002

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

Thankyou Native and KFNC.
If I could make a comment(or 2).
I'm interested in your thoughts on leaving the latch at the drive box "Disengaged" while in use.
One user had mentioned this in his email(cannot remember who..sorry) and there seems to be some merit in it.
Also if I could make a comment on the maintenance sir of things.
There is a point in the maintenance schedule(page 7) where there is a need to remove the screw in order to add a couple of squirts of grease.
Could I suggest that people give some consideration to ensuring that the area directly around the head of the cap screw is clean AND dry, before removing the screw.
The last thing we need is a bit of water in the gear box.
Again thanks Native and KFNC for fantastic product support.

#4 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

You're welcome dirtridn. Glad the info is helpful. Suggestions/comments; absolutely, I'll forward yours on. It's perfectly fine to leave the single, rearward slide latch unsecured. The only conditions it would be unadviseable would be in conditions where you have the possibility of flipping, like is horrible seas. Having it locked in place would be best.

#5 SorryDangDog

SorryDangDog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

On Page 1 of the Propel Assembly Diagram, there looks to be a threaded hole next to where Part 19 is pointing towards the Top Shell Assembly. I thought I had read somewhere there would be a threaded camera mount hole, on the top of the Propel unit, similar to what is on the diagram.

#6 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

Your eyes do not deceive. I believe it will be a 1/4-20 thread, same as the large bolts used on the Mariner handles and a few other places.

#7 Chris Pearce

Chris Pearce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

This is all great information, but does Native sell spare parts for the drive? Gears, bearings, and other internal parts? Hobie sells every little nut, bolt, cable for the Mirage drive. This is a big issue to me, since I am an avid tournament angler and need to be able to repair the drive on my own quickly. I often cant wait to send it in for repairs, due to having another tournament. I had this issue once before and the Propel drive and waiting on Native caused me to drop in the series standings, because when I got the drive back from Native it was only a few days before the next tournament and was worse than when I sent it in. I and many other tournament fisherman want Native to offer the internal parts. In the past I was told I could buy another spare drive for $700.

#8 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:01 AM

Chris, you must of missed my stating the Native does sell spare/replacement parts for the drive. Ref: http://www.nativeown...s-Propel)/page4

#9 doyle

doyle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

spare parts for propel

Chris, you must of missed my stating the Native does sell spare/replacement parts for the drive. Ref: http://www.nativeown...s-Propel)/page4

according to Ben Whittle at native in an email i just received, native can't sell parts directly as it violates their contract with the dealers. just one more contradiction in dealing with native.l

#10 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

according to Ben Whittle at native in an email i just received, native can't sell parts directly as it violates their contract with the dealers. just one more contradiction in dealing with native.l

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean to infer Native sells directly, but through their dealer network.

#11 07_hemi_thunderroad

07_hemi_thunderroad

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for the great info!

#12 Mikem

Mikem

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:06 PM

Hello doyle

Keep in mind that parts are handled, like many manufactures do, by their dealers.

If you have a problem getting parts from a local dealer remember that Get:Outdoors, the host of this site, will give you 10% discount off Native parts. They always want to help us anyway possible.

#13 T-Bone

T-Bone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:15 AM

Grease for the Propel

is there a better grease for the propel that can be used and NOT void the warranty. i use my mariner every Saturday for about 5 hours and i have to grease it every 3rd. time or if not i can feel the gears thru the pedals.

Thanks for your help

#14 Squidslayer

Squidslayer

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:27 AM

Hi there T-Bone.

I use Inox MX8

http://www.inoxmx.co...gh-temp-grease/

I lube up every month or so. When I first used the new grease I cleaned all of the finish line grease off the gears so the greases did not mix.

There are no signs of wear on the gears etc when I strip it down.

Been using it for about 4 months and my propel runs nice and smooth. I dont have warranty so I don't really care. It costs a 1/4 of the finish line grease.

I made my own dispenser to lube the inner gears.

All the specs of the grease are on the link above so Native may be able to confirm if their warranty is still valid.

Don't use it if you are not prepared to wear the risk of no warranty cover or damage.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

24/11/2016 update

Just an update on the INOX MX8. i have now been using this grease for 18 months or so. I now lube every 70 hours or so use.

I can say that there are no signs or wear on the gears and the grease is performing as I would expect, slick as, with no growling or other noises from the drive in use.

Squid

• Tinyyak and Rl1217 like this

Slayer propel - Blue lagoon

Adelaide - South Australia

#15 droche

droche

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:46 PM

• Crankarm Puller o For removing the crankarms from the square taper spindle.  http://www.amazon.co..../dp/B0028YUZSS

I purchased this crankarm puller off Amazon and just tried it to replace the crank arm on my new propel model Slayer 10.

It doesn't fit. I've tried a bunch of ways but it seems the puller does not fit deep enough into the spindle to start threading onto the crank arm.

since you referenced this item, I'm assuming it's worked for others - what am I doing wrong? Or rather, what should I be doing right?

It took 3+ weeks to get the parts which has left me stranded to small ponds/lakes for spring fishing since I can't use the propel and cover water. am hoping to get out this week and this weekend with the new parts as long as I can get them installed.

Any quick help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

#16 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:01 PM

Hello,

Yes, that's the correct tool. To use it first back out the inner threaded section which says park tool on it. Then thread the larger outer section into the crank arm hole. Once you've got it threaded all the in (only has to be hand tight) then thread the park tool section in. You'll need to use a wrench once it become too difficult to move by hand. With firm pressure and a couple more wrench turns the action will begin to lift the crank arm off the spindle.

Also, here is a reference video, slightly different crank arm puller tool but same method. http://nativeownersg...rm-upgrade-kit/

- hope this helps
  • NavyDave70 likes this

#17 droche

droche

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:01 AM

got it - thanks for your help. was able to get the crank arm off and the cap seals.

the spindle has a little bit of play left/right currently - another member mentioned the bearing threads needing loctite?

anyone experience this before? going to take off the upper gears and have a look tonight

#18 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:10 PM

Sure thing. 

The lock-nut for the upper gear drive (right side) has loctite on it keeping the gear against the cap seal. This connection should not be loose or have play.

The cap bearings are bonded onto the cap plates. Some people have knocked them out of older, 301 or 201 series drives, but we haven't seen any need to do so on the 401 series drives. These numbers are stamped on the drive housing. 

If you take the upper gear and spindle off check the vertical gear inside the housing. It should not have play in it.

#19 droche

droche

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:55 AM

thanks for your help!

i got it - it was the lock nut inside that was loose. tightened it down. it held up perfectly.

#20 vercher

vercher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:05 PM

I purchased my Propel 13 around yearend and have used it less than 10 times.  I have greased the upper bearings, but I am unable to remove the cartridge on the lower gear set.  I have broken two adjustable pin spanners already.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users