Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Native Quality?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mpiercey

mpiercey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

I have been fishing out of Wilderness Kayaks for awhile. I was in the market for a new kayak and the Native Slayer 13 Propel caught my eye. As they say, reverse is the game changer, but to me the whole pedal power was awesome as I now could spend more time fishing than managing the kayak. I read reviews, visited my local kayak shop numerous times and made my decision. Yesterday I picked up my new Slayer. Got it home pulled it out of its bag and drooled over the finish of this yak. I started assembling the parts and that's when things changed..........first, on the first class seat tensioners on the front bottom of the seat that attach to the slides, they were a bit to wide, about 1/4". The tensioner did not match up to the slide nut. I first thought it was maybe the track so I loosened it but no gain there. Nothing looked bent or problems with the mold so I looked at the seat itself. Best I could tell was the bottom support rail was just a bit too wide. I pulled the tensioner off the bottom rail and cut (carefully as there is a bungy cord in the middle of it) about 1/4" off, filed the edges, put the tensioner back on and it worked like a champ. Then came my drive unit, after unwrapping it I noticed the pedal supports were loose on the axle. There was no mention of having to tighten these in the installation instructions, so I tightened them both up, not knowing what the torque specs are.?? Then came the time to install my pedals wouldn't you know it, packaged in a separate bag was two left pedals.............Going to stop by my kayak shop and hopefully exchange a left pedal for a right one. I am hoping they don't tell me that this will have to come from Native, delaying my inaugural first day out with my new Slayer. I was thinking while in the garage working on the Slayer, looking over at my old Wilderness hanging on the wall........did she get jealous and put some bad voodoo on the Slayer.......time will tell!8)

#2 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

My initial thought is why didn't your dealer assemble your boat from the factory. They are supposed to and they are the ones that will handle any warranty issues. They know the torque specs and should have in stock the basics incase boats have any shipping issues. If they had done this, the bad karma would have been on them... ;) The only issue I had with the propel I have is that the hull is one of the prototypes. When they pull the boats out of the initial mold, they put them into cooling molds and put tensioners in the hulls where they are needed so as the hull cools, it doesn't shrink in places it isn't supposed too. Well since mine was a prototype...it was used to make these things...so the tensioners didn't exist when it was pulled from the mold. It shrank about a 1/2" too much in the width so I have issues getting the seat bolts to fit into the groove tracks just right. I quickly learned to leave the seat in this particular boat and just make sure it is strapped down well. Hopefully your dealer will get things right for you and if he doesn't, let us know and we will see what we can do to get it right.

#3 oarfish

oarfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

^ ^ ^ Now that's good service right there

#4 mpiercey

mpiercey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:13 AM

No worries, went to dealer and pivked up a right side pedal, whatever was wrong with the seat I have it fixed now so very happy. Now on with the rigging!

#5 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:04 AM

Occasionally the human factor enters the picture. Good to hear you've been taken care of and can now move forward.

#6 Jigglin

Jigglin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:09 AM

I think the seat thing is standard with a lot of slayer propels as I just went through the same thing with mine. I first thought of cutting the seat frame as well, but sent an email to the importer and they suggested that a bit of muscle is needed to push apart the plastic holding the tracks when first placing the seat in. I have no doubt the seat and slide will settle in to the correct width the more the yak is used.

#7 tundracruzen

tundracruzen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:23 PM

This seat issue worries me a little. I have a Slayer 14 right now and plan to get a propel version. However, it sounds like its a pain to install the seat. It should be easy to remove and install for transport. Quick and simple, is it not?

#8 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:24 AM

The Slayer Propel I have and all the ones we've seen and sold through the store haven't had any seat connection difficulties.

If you haven't seen this, I made a slight addition to the track to make mount alignment of the bolt and nut easier. http://www.nativeown...nstallation-Tip

#9 FEC

FEC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

Just picked up my Slayer Propel and have the same problem with the seat, 1/4 inch to wide. I'll do what you did and cut off the excess.

#10 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

I spoke to Native today and this is an isolated occurrence that effected a limited number of boats during a brief manufacturing period. Dealers are being alerted as well as being provided with a PDF document instructing how to resolve the issue. If convenient to your location, your dealer will be happy to take care of this for you or if you would like to receive the PDF, please let me know and I will email it to you. Currently our site does not accept PDF files. *Native is recommending to only take approx. 4mm off each front end* Thanks

#11 tundracruzen

tundracruzen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

Thanks. Austin Canoe and Kayak is local to me, so I am sure they can help me out. I plan to get a Slayer Propel soon. It will be the forth Native kayak I have owned. Thanks for the replies.

#12 clbjr

clbjr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

Had the problem installing the seat on my new propel that I just purchased. I had to push the kayak wider to get the set installed. Doing so I almost stripped the thread on the bolt. It doesn't slide as easy as it should.

#13 Skitterwalker

Skitterwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:24 PM

My initial thought is why didn't your dealer assemble your boat from the factory. They are supposed to and they are the ones that will handle any warranty issues. They know the torque specs and should have in stock the basics incase boats have any shipping issues. If they had done this, the bad karma would have been on them... ;) The only issue I had with the propel I have is that the hull is one of the prototypes. When they pull the boats out of the initial mold, they put them into cooling molds and put tensioners in the hulls where they are needed so as the hull cools, it doesn't shrink in places it isn't supposed too. Well since mine was a prototype...it was used to make these things...so the tensioners didn't exist when it was pulled from the mold. It shrank about a 1/2" too much in the width so I have issues getting the seat bolts to fit into the groove tracks just right. I quickly learned to leave the seat in this particular boat and just make sure it is strapped down well. Hopefully your dealer will get things right for you and if he doesn't, let us know and we will see what we can do to get it right.

My seat is tight, but not terrible. I've been wanting to leave the seat on bc the length adjustment is important if i'm pedaling all day. I don't re-adjust the seat on a road bike every time I use it. Also, the rail nuts are brass and I'm worried about eventually stripping them out. I might throw a small ratchet strap over the seat to help keep it snugged. 

#14 jestabrook19

jestabrook19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:34 PM

I believe I've encountered this same seat/groove-track alignment issue, on my 2017 SP10 hull. Tracks are almost not widely separated  enough to allow the seat bolts to slide into the track groove and engage the nuts correctly. Since I SUV-top my boat, I really don't want to leave the seat installed while traveling.

What is the recommended fix for this? Shorten the front seat frame bar? That's not something I'd like to try myself...

I think I'll talk to my dealer...

#15 Squidslayer

Squidslayer

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:41 PM

I did as per the OP, cut 1/4 inch off the front bar (about 1/8" off each side.)

Slayer propel - Blue lagoon

Adelaide - South Australia

#16 Keith

Keith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:42 PM

Having same problem on new 2017 Slayer Propel 12 LT. Working with pipe cutter to fix. Need to take a little more off for seat to slide freely.

Tried pushing on sides but could not get second seat screw to line up without wanting to strip threads on track nut.

#17 Nzpropel

Nzpropel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:38 AM

I have my Slayer 13 for 2 years zero problem so far i’m Not kind on my gear I use it the way as been design for
Check my Instagram jeanmichelflyfishing
  • NOG Admin likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users