Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Aggressive water snake

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Cclifton

Cclifton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:51 AM

I was crappie fishing yesterday here in NW Ohio out of my Slayer when I had the hell scared out of me by a fairly large water snake right next to my seat trying to climb in the yak with me.I was able to knock it back into the water and expected it to take off but it kept coming back with it's mouth open in a aggressive manner.I have never had a snake act this way and I have to tell you it freaked me out.I pulled my anchor and paddled away and 10 minutes later when I went back it was swimming around the same area but not going anywhere in particular but acting like it was protecting it's turf.Are water snakes territorial or what?Anyone have issues with snakes in kayaks? No venomous snakes here in Ohio but what about in the southern part of the U.S.?

#2 ddkfishin

ddkfishin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:37 AM

I am in southeast Michigan, but fish some smaller northern Michigan lakes every summer. My dad and I had a similar experience with a water snake while fishing out of a canoe in Northern Michigan. We didn't let it get too close to the boat, as thankfully we noticed it swimming towards us. I casted my fly line on it multiple times, and that did not deter it from approaching. One would think something touching it would scare it. We paddled the hell out of there after it seemed determined to get to our canoe.

#3 inrll

inrll

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

I had a very similar experience last month. It took about a dozen HARD hits to the surface of the water near its head with a heavy crankbait before it turned. I remember a similar thing happening years ago with my uncle and I in a power boat. Unfortunately that ended with the snake being killed by my uncle. Its amazing how fearless they are.

#4 south dakota

south dakota

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

Anyone who has spent a few years on Lake Oahe has had or known someone who has had a rattlesnake try to get in the boat... why a rattlesnake is swimming I have no idea but ive seen it twice in powerboats... ive also fished in Arkansas and im totally on alert for snakes down there... that being said I was on lake catherine below damn retying my line in my ultimate 16 when I noticed a little green snake on my lap... i freaked out throwing it out of kayak possible screaming like a girl... my gf still gives . Crap about it... kudos to you deep.south guys and your deadly reptiles...

#5 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

Banded water snakes are definitely the most aggressive I've seen...they will try to come and get you. I was weed-eating with a bladed brush trimmer at a pond once and had one decide it was going to get me. I retreated as fast as possible swinging that blade as much as I could. I didn't stick around to see if I got the snake or not. I have had several instances where I ran into a cotton mouth in the yak...they raise up and get a good look...if they are scared, they will show you the inside of their mouth and just sit there for minutes on end with their mouths open. Was wading once with all my camera gear in a burned over impoundment about 6" deep with water and the burned stalks of cattails. Suddenly right in front of me a big fat cotton mouth raised up and showed me its pearly whites. I decided to slowly turn and retreat a bit...looking back I had passed another I didn't see and it was displaying also. Well dang'it...looking closer I guess I had walked right into a big mating swarm of the things...there were about 8 all around me and all were pissed. I had to use my tripod to slowly move them and they let me...they just stayed puffed up floating on top raised up about a foot off the water's surface...showing off their nice white fangs and mouths. Not the first one struck at me while I moved a good three of them out of the way as I retreated. I didn't get any duck shots that day...I decided I needed to head back to the lodge for breakfast and a bathroom break after that!

#6 inrll

inrll

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

boykinsbuddy that seriously sounds like something out of a bad dream. I probably would have developed some sort of permanent complex about wading in ANY kind of water after something like that.

#7 jediangler

jediangler

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

We get very aggressive northern water snakes hitting on top-water frogs up here in Ontario. Only venomous snakes we have are Massassauga rattlers and I've yet to come across one.

#8 kwhart

kwhart

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationFloresville, Texas

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

In my opinion water snakes are one of the most aggressive snakes there is. I have personally had several different occasions where they tried to get in a boat with me. It's a good thing they are not venomous. I've never been bitten by one but it's been real close. Ken 4, water snakes 0. So far.

#9 TAK21

TAK21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

I had a copperhead try to get in my Canoe years ago but I was able to hit it and flip it away with my paddle. A couple of months ago I was on a trip on the Chattahoochee with a group of people and someone spotted a snake swimming. Several folks clustered up to watch it and it came right up and climbed into one to the boats. It was a sit in kayak and it went inside and right up into the bow. The girl in this boat was unbelievably calm and determined it was not a threat and left it there for the remainder of our trip, about 30 minutes. Turned out to be a harmless king snake. In a lot of cases these snakes are not trying to be aggressive. They may be there by mistake like they fell in and are struggling to swim and desperate to get to a safe place like we would. They will climb onto the first place they can to get out of the water whether it is a log, a rock or your boat. Unfortunately if they are poisonous and you or the snake panics, it could turn out bad. Best to run if you see one coming or beat it with your paddle if it makes it to you.

#10 native12

native12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBarossa Valley South Australia

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:17 AM

Hi all, I live in South Australia and fish on the River Murray and Brown snakes, Tiger snakes and Red Bellied Snakes all swim and will enter boats and kayaks at times. All are venomous, and some will take you on.... Just adds to the fun. regards Native12

#11 Nobody

Nobody

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:28 AM

I had a snake try to get into the yak with me once. On his first two advances I moved him back with my paddle. When he came back toward me the third time, I cast my line in his direction but over shot my target. This gave me an idea. When the snake crossed my fishing line, I popped the rod back hard. This tightened my line and lifted it right under the aggressive creature sending him airborne. I guess he figured flying was not his favorite thing to do, because after he landed he decided to find someone else to aggravate.

#12 Bayouscoot

Bayouscoot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

When you kayak with alligators, ya don't worry too much about snakes.

#13 Anton

Anton

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:23 AM

Years ago I used to have an 18 foot Canadian Canoe, and my elder brother and I were doing a trip down the Murray River in South Australia.

There are a series of locks and weirs along the length of the River Murray to keep the river level constant, and we were in a lock waiting for the water level to drop when all of a sudden a 5 foot King Brown Snake (one of the deadly buggers) decided that he wanted to climb into the canoe with us for a rest due to the swirly waters in the lock.

My brother who at the time was in his 50s, screamed like a frightened girl (ha ha ha) got the attention of the lock master who had a special hook to grab snakes (evidently a common problem with houseboats traversing the locks) and he grabbed it and released it in a nearby swamp.

Needles to say, everyone observing this on the lock had a great laugh at our expense. :o

Still have the photos in my collection and ocassionally bring them out to embarrass him. :)

That is the closest I ever want to come to a snake in the water with me, THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!

Slayer Propel 13 - cammo

Please visit my YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube....6MPsArt1wMSzOHQ

#14 Kmeng

Kmeng

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:39 PM

When you kayak with alligators, ya don't worry too much about snakes.

Got that right, or the occasional salt water crock that shows up in Tampa

#15 jettmoon

jettmoon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPink Hill, NC

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:53 PM

I live on a 250 acre farm in eastern NC and I was fishing a jitterbug top water lure last summer. Out from the bank came a large water moccasin after the bait. I started cranking as fast as I could with the reel and he was chasing it across the water. I've never seen a snake swim so fast. I've been fishing topwater lures for 40+ years and never seen anything like it.  I went to house since the pond is 20 yards away and got my shotgun. I came back and it was still there in the water. Needless to say, that was its last day. 

• Kayakphotos likes this

#16 porcha

porcha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:00 AM

I've seen dozens of snakes but only had 1 try to get in the boat and boy did it try

i wouldn't think they're territorial but rather looking for relief 

#17 koyote

koyote

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:20 AM

Here's a small rattler trying to sneak aboard.  He was agitated but couldn't seem to get his tail rattling while swimming.  Fortunately he wasn't fast enough.  Rare to see a swimming rattler in So.Cal.

256vhcm.jpg

#18 jediangler

jediangler

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:39 PM

GOPR2918_zpsysovafxi.jpg

Baby northern water snake I found on walleye opener in the Kawartha lakes. It was friendly.
  • porcha and Skully like this
Fish with the Force Tegris 12

#19 Skitterwalker

Skitterwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:00 PM

Mike Rowe is trying to catch Lake Erie water snakes on Dirty Jobs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users