Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Manta Ray 11 weight concerns.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BuffaloBass

BuffaloBass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

Hello folks! I am preparing to purchase a native kayak and have come across a good deal on a Manta Ray 11. I originally wanted an Ultimate because I like the way they look and am transferring from years spent in a canoe. This deal is too good to pass up though.. if Im not too tall or heavy. My concern is that my 6'1" 208lbs is too much for an 11' boat. I plan to carry a small ice chest, tackle box, tarp, fleece sleeping bag, and few smaller items. I DO plan to lose some weight and get back to my original 185lbs but still worry that this boat will feel too small for me, or that Ill sink it! I have read reviews talking about length options and understand it may be good for where I float. I float the Buffalo, Spring, Ouachita, and Mulberry among other creeks and rivers here in Arkansas. I will take it on the lake but mostly just in the coves along the bank and not out with the big craft. What do you think about my situation? It is my first kayak and will be sold quickly at the current price of $500 for the yak,paddle,pfd,trolley cart, new seat, excellent condition. I typed this on my android, apologies if the format messes up. Thank you!

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

As good as the deal may be it wouldn't be worth it considering your height, goal weight and what you want to carry IMO. The 11' is really a youngster, light teenager or small woman's kayak. At 6' and 200 lbs. I feel like I'm consuming the kayak. The 12' MR is OK for your size and gear and an Ultimate 12 would work well also. Also, welcome to the forum

#3 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

I agree with the above, I would pass. If it was just you for messing around, maybe, but if your adding gear you will quickly max out the boat. I would go with your original plan of an ultimate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users