Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

New 2014 Ultimate FX Series

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

The Ultimate FX series represents a whole new line of Ultimates designed with features kayak fisherman have asked for such as a High/Low seat, wider and flat tunnels for greater standing comfort and hard hatch covers to name a few. I think you'll agree the FX available in solo 12', 15' and a tandem 15' is a whole new breed of Ultimate. Specifications: FX 12 Length: 12'2" Width: 30.5" Weight: Fully Rigged with removable seat 57 lbs. W/out seat 52 lbs. Retail: $1,299 Available: 2014 TBA Specifications: FX Solo & Tandem 15 Length" 15'3" Width: 31" Solo Weight: Fully rigged with removable seat 86 lbs. 81 lbs. w/out seat Tandem Weight: Fully rigged with two removable seats 98 lbs. 88 lbs. w/out seats Retail: Solo - $1,399 Tandem - $1,699 Available: 2014 (TBA)

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

A few photos from Paul at Kayak Fish Magazine. http://www.kayakfishmag.com The FX seats feature a High/Low seat system which mounts to an ABS platform. This platform mounts to the underside of the gunnels with a twist knob on top. The knob also allows some adjustment of travel for trimming the yak between solo and tandem.

#3 Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

The improvements look awesome! Makes me want to sell my 2012 U14 and go buy a FX 14 and a Slayer Propel. Could be an expensive winter.....

#4 PhotoFish

PhotoFish

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

I'm with you on that one Swamp, I was going to get a 2013 Slayer but now am so glad I didn't. Improvements look great to me!

#5 Jdog

Jdog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationMorehead city NC

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

These take the skirts? Look awesome - an the seats from tandem to solo will seem to lock in I guess?

#6 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:23 AM

These take the skirts? Look awesome - an the seats from tandem to solo will seem to lock in I guess?

The FX series will use hard covers like on the Slayers. Yes, the seats have bases that mount under the gunnels. You can see a black knob on top of the gunnel on each side of the seat. The seat then attaches to the base. There is some adjustment fore and aft of the seats.

#7 jediangler

jediangler

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

All plastic and no Tegris eh? Too bad.

#8 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

We were told that due to the very high cost of the Tegris material and the new molds cost close to 10x as much, the new boats in Tegris won't happen.

#9 vanjr

vanjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

Look like definite upgrades.

#10 DarrenM

DarrenM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

Time to begin planning on how to justify the "upgrade" to my wife, LOL. I'm really liking the seat situation. Curious as to how high the upper position is. Currently I'm sitting on top of the gunnels using 2 zinc-plated 1/2" rods with ends wrapped in heavy duty shrink wrap.

#11 inrll

inrll

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

To those that have paddled one, does the front thwart on the FX 15 solo get in the way at all? Seems like it would be cracking your shins constantly.

#12 Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:59 AM

To those that have paddled one, does the front thwart on the FX 15 solo get in the way at all? Seems like it would be cracking your shins constantly.

I was thinking the same thing. It was the only questionable aspect of the improvements but I would have to see it in person to know. It looks like if you're over 6' it might be kind of tight. I like the thwart design, looks to have track system on it so I could see it being very functional not sure about the location.

#13 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

I don't know if any of us have even seen the prototype in person. On our pro-staff board as soon as I saw the shot of the thing, I brought it up and asked if the old aluminum thwart was still available since this new plastic thwart looks like it will certainly get in the way or at the very least, confine the openness of the cockpit. I also am not a big fan of the big screw nuts securing it and the seats because I think they will catch fly lines but won't know till I try one. Philip assured me there would be room up there...but I went from pre-ordering two to waiting to get in one to try out real quick. The FX 12 looks very promising though. That layout is the way the FX 15 should be as far as thwart location goes. Since these are prototypes, and actual production models can change, bringing up concerns like this are productive to the development of the final product. I think they should splurge and make a separate mold for the FX 15 Solo and design it like the FX 12 inside. It is fine to have the options to make one boat go from tandem to solo with some design compromises, but the solo version has lots of potential especially for larger paddlers, open water paddlers, and trippers that will haul a lot of gear, that could compromise sales if the room and comfort isn't there.

#14 sailor

sailor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

I guess I'm struggling with the 30# difference between the bare boat 12 and 15. The 15 is only .5" wider at the beam, but wt. per ft. of the 12, is 4.33#/ft. How does adding 3 additional ft. translate to 30#?? I know that the 4.33# is an average, and the added 3 ft. of the 15 is in the wider section of the boat. Weight is so critical to most paddlers. I had a 2008 14.5 glass/kevlar model, that was advertised at 58#. Wish they never discontinued that one.

#15 silverback13

silverback13

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

Why not put the thwart on its own molded in track so it could be moved to the needs of the paddler. Looks like some very good improvement I can't wait to paddle one native is really making me want to spend some money on some new kayaks

#16 Gifisher

Gifisher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

Struggling with the added weight of the 15 solo as well. The changes made to the FX 15 are great, but weighing in at over 80 lbs is going to make it tough to car top, portage, etc without a second person. The FX 12 seems like a nice and much lighter option as was stated above.

#17 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

Why not put the thwart on its own molded in track so it could be moved to the needs of the paddler. Looks like some very good improvement I can't wait to paddle one native is really making me want to spend some money on some new kayaks

The new thwart will be adjustable.

#18 NW Bird Hunter

NW Bird Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

I tend to agree with Gilfisher and sailor on the weight factor. The new FX 15 looks great, the colors are very impressive, but that extra poundage is not so likeable. When I bought my U 14.5 this spring, I looked at a lot of kayaks and it always came down to the weight of the boat. Native Water Craft won hands down. I wanted to be able to load and unload myself from the roof of the car and be able to launch any where I could carry the kayak. My wife is thinking about a Native Water Craft, she already has a sea kayak but loves mine. I showed her the new FX 15 and she loved the new colors, then she saw the weight! She wants a U 14.5 instead.

#19 b737

b737

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

Really like the "sacrificial" skid plates on the bottom of the Jackson Cudas. If molds not already made, might be a nice addition.

#20 jhall1976

jhall1976

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

I just wanna know if the seat base and seat will fit my 2013 U12? And if so when can I get one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users