Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Stuck front hatch

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 toddinbr

toddinbr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

Has anyone had a problems withe their front hatch getting stuck closed. Any solutions to make it easier to open?

#2 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

Sand can get in there and lock it tight as a tick. I pulled a tendon in my thumb trying to get one open...I resorted to drilling a hole and running a piece of para-cord through it to get a better grip and leverage on it.
  • Spider Crack likes this

#3 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

If you can open and close it enough you'll be able to see whitish marks where the greatest pressure on the two parts meet. I've used 300 grit and wet sand paper on those areas to remedy it being overly tight or sticky.

#4 JCooperpcola

JCooperpcola

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

I have been using my pliers handle under the finger grip to pop it open. My front hatch is tight and always has been. I like the rope Idea. But what about using a Mariner side handle instead? You will need a backing plate but I think that's the answer.

#5 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

That's a good idea. You could also slide your rod tips under the handle for going under trees and limbs it if you put it on side to side instead of front to back.

#6 toddinbr

toddinbr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

I am going to work on it later today. The handle sound like a great idea.

#7 JCooperpcola

JCooperpcola

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

I will get my dealer to order a handle tomorrow. Been wanting to do this for a while. But maybe when I get a new GPS and sounder I wont have to go in there as much.

#8 JCooperpcola

JCooperpcola

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

Just robbed the handle off.the Starboard side of the Mariner. I was able to use the existing panhead bolts to reattach it to the lid with sealing washers, lock washers, and regular nuts. Locknuts would be better but I did not have any on hand. I used a 3/16" drill bit to drill thru the lid and slowly enlarge the holes until the bolts would thread into the plastic which should make it seal better. The plastic is 1/8" thick at least where I mounted the handle. It is much easier.to open now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 captspunk

captspunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

looks good.....might be doing that to mine to... THANKS

#10 ChrisCoufal

ChrisCoufal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

Great idea! Mine has been a PITA to open since day 1......I think I might use an old handle I have and make the same mod.

#11 Mudfish

Mudfish

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

My front hatch gets difficult to open if I don't keep the two contacting surfaces clean, but when I clean it and then wipe the two contacting surfaces with 303 Aerospace Protectant it opens easily. I just spray a little 303 on a piece of paper towel and apply a thin coat to each surface. It will also make your entire kayak look like new, just don't get any where you want to stand. It's very slippery stuff.

#12 toddinbr

toddinbr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

I sanded my down in a few spots, it seem to be a lot easier. I will be doing the handle mod as well.

#13 JCooperpcola

JCooperpcola

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

My dealer had a few Native handles in stock behind the counter. Swapped the side handle back to its place. Total cost for this mod? $7 for the handle and bolts. Already had the nuts, sealing washers, and lock washers.

#14 lefty

lefty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:57 AM

Good day everyone my hatch was always tight, even after I tried the wet/ dry with 320grit, I found that even if left closed for some time even not in use it was tight as again, so thanks for the handle idea J copperpcola, put the handle on it as per your instructions and it works great, highly recommend it.
  • Ron YakDaddy Gerber likes this

#15 blake7513

blake7513

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:27 AM

I had this problem. Lid being harder than heck to open, previously owner told me "air lock".  He was wrong. Throw some spray-able lubricant onto a paper towel and rub both hatch and seat ring. It'll open up like a charm. At least mine did...

Neat handle idea. Beats sticking a finger out, although, pretty effortless to open my hatch now... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users