Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Anchors or sticks? Or both?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hoverp

Hoverp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

What would you Use to stop your boat on a river. should I use a anchor or should I use a stakeout pole, if I use a stakeout where do you put it if it's not supposed to go to the scupper holes? If I should use an anchor to be able to stop in deeper waters what kind of system do you river fishermen use? Thanks, I'm fishing in Montana on the Missouri River. Thanks. Patrick.

#2 silverback13

silverback13

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

I use the stick it in my anchor trolley ring but it will only work on soft bottom. If I know I'm will be fishing rocky areas I use a 3lb claw anchor and 3ft anchor chain attached to it. I also use the Blackmore brush gripper a lot on the river your can clamp it on anything that will go in the jaws and it will hold your kayak in place work great on over hanging tree and big clump of brush or grass on the bank

#3 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

Lots of river paddlers will use a heavy section of chain attached to either a section of rope or a retractable dog leash hooked up to an anchor trolley. If the river has a muddy bottom, you can put a piece of mountain bike inner tube over the chain to keep the chain from holding mud when you pull it up. Use a small plastic zip tie to secure the chain to the rope. That way if it gets hung badly, yanking on it hard will break the zip tie and you will be free. Anchoring in heavy current around rocks is asking for disaster...do not let the boat get sideways to the current or you'll flip.

#4 Hoverp

Hoverp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

So did you gentleman buy the Native anchor trolley accessories?

#5 silverback13

silverback13

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

My ultimate has native trolleys they work great one stop kit with everything. My mariner has trolley that I made with pad eye pulleys bungee works just a well took a little more time to put together and instal cost wise may have been a few dollars cheaper if I do it again I will just get the native kit

#6 Hoverp

Hoverp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

Do you think the Native trolley will work on the Versa ? Seems like it would be mounted high on the top side or it will have to ride in the water all the time.

#7 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

I don't use a trolly on the vb. I tie off to the center "handle". I use both a stakeout and an anchor depending on what I'm doing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users