Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Versa Board, good choice?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JCooperpcola

JCooperpcola

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Me and my sister went to the Kayak for a Cure Pensacola yesterday and had a blast. Coming back from the turnaround spot she was having issues paddling the Ride 135. So we switched and she took over the Mariner. I enjoyed paddling the Ride. Then I paddled a Tarpon 140. I liked it better. Then we started trying paddle boards. She wants a paddleboard but is not working. I don't know what I really want but I like the paddleboard as much as the Tarpon 140. My Native dealer was there. They provided kayaks for the event. Talking with him he mentioned the Versa Board. So I headed to the shop after we left. Just so happens they have a Lime Versa Board. I really like it. The daul functionality is what I like. I can use it for fishing and my sis can use it until she gets her medical career going. A few concerns. How stable is the VB? I took one spill on the paddleboard. But it was my first time on one. I may go in this week and water test the VB. How well does the skeg work? The other paddleboards had surfboard style fins. And how fast is the VB sitting down paddling it like a regular yak? Is the VB really a good addition to my Mariner? It will not replace it. I just enjoy paddling for inshore

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

You took a spill off a Versa Board? As far as stability it's one of the most stable SUP's you'll find. The skeg works great and completely changes the handling characteristics when deployed. Being spring-loaded the advantage is if you run it too shallow the skeg will retract within the hull and pop back out once the obstacle is cleared. I use the 1st Class seat with mine. On ripply or rougher water it helps to have some counter weight toward the bow to lessen bow slap noise. Standing there is almost no no noise.

Of course the huge advantage of the craft overall is its shallow draft for skinny water. I wrote a review on it a few years ago if you're interested http://kayakfishingn...ft-versa-board/

#3 vanjr

vanjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

Everyone is different so it is hard to say what is right for someone else. For skinny water, flats fishing and just having fun the versa board is a great complement to a Mariner IMO. It will not be as fast as a more standard yak, such as a manta ray, but stability should not be a problem. I think of a versa board as a good "complement" kayak-probably not the best choice for fishing if you want just one kayak, but if you already have another fishing machine its a good 2nd (or 3rd) kayak.

#4 JCooperpcola

JCooperpcola

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

No I took a spill off a pink YOLO! Lol. I am being serious. Yes it was a regular paddle board.

#5 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

Most people with a decent teacher can use any SUP within about an hour of first getting on one. As for the Versa board I find most people can use one within minutes. In may I was up at the demo day at BMO helping woody out, most people who got on the Versa board did fine. I love mine. Good for class 1-2 rapids (more if your crazy). Stable to stand and throw a fly, shallow water capable (about an inch with the skeg up). And fairly lightweight too. All in all a great all around platform.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users