Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Manta Ray vs Slayer?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ptpainton

Ptpainton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

I have an U12 right now and love it but want to get a Sit on top model for use when its rougher out on Pensacola Bay and close to shore. I sat in a MR when I bought the U12 and loved the seat but never paddled it. What are your thoughts about the difference between the MR and Slayer. I know both seats would be good for me, storage easier in Slayer but what about the paddling difference. I'm thinking if I go off shore maybe out 2 miles max the MR might be a lot easier to paddle???

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

If the choice is between the MR and Slayer in 12' lengths I'd lean toward the MR. It's hull design should be a little more efficient and easier to paddle in rougher, open water.

#3 Ptpainton

Ptpainton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

That's what I was thinking but have never paddled either boat. Was thinking about selling my U12 but now thinking I might go for a MR 14 and keep the UK12 for calmer bays rivers and creeks.

#4 yak_n_mike

yak_n_mike

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

I've never paddled the Slayer, but love the look & reviews. I do own a manta ray 14, I've taken it off shore out of Okaloosa Island and do a lot of inshore fishing around on Choctawhatche from Ft Walton to Destin. First time out on the gulf I was nervous, but had a good time. Manta Ray has been a sweet comfortable ride. I think if you're wanting to stand and sight cast inshore the slayer would be the option, but sitting, trolling or paddling with any speed the manta ray is the greatest.

#5 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

I've paddled both and have a MR14...the MR is the off shore boat and the Slayer the inshore boat. I think the Slayer would do both...but putting on the miles, I'd go for the MR.

#6 Bassassin

Bassassin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

I have both and each is an awesome craft in its own right. Like boykinsbuddy said if you are planning on paddling distance the MR is the way to go. both are comfortable, the Salyer has a larger wind profile but is much more stable than the MR.

#7 chooch

chooch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

I have paddled both boats in 12-14 foot models. I hate to be a kill joy to the new native model but I absolutely hated paddling the slayer. When I got to the spot I was fishing it was ok at best. The open cockpit design is something I wish native would incorporate in the MR but it has not happened yet. Back to paddling. The day I tested the slayer 14 was breezy (15-18mph) and a ripping out going tide. These are pretty normal conditions where I fish on the Texas coast. I can honestly say I have never been more exhausted after a trip. The boat does not track well nor does it glide well the freeboard is way to high and the seat position makes it worse. And that is In the low position. I didn't even try to paddle it high. There were other issues with the front hatch, too large scuppers and the cockpit is wetter than the MR BY FAR. Thank goodness the seat sits out of the water that collects in the boat. These are my opinions and I have only been kayak fishing for about 10 years so I'm sure the guys and galls at Native and all who had a hand in the design have much more experience than me. I hope I didn't hurt any feeling but with all this being said I would suggest you paddle the boat you think you want in actual fishing and if possible HARSH conditions befor you buy. It saved me $1500.00 and I am going back to a 14 MR.

#8 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

Posted Image

A dry cockpit is a relative thing.

#9 Paddleman

Paddleman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:43 AM

Boykinsbuddy, maybe we should lobby native for the umbrella attatchment for the slayer! Lol

#10 mangonboat

mangonboat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

I'm glad to find out I'm not the only one who ponders a golf umbrella stuck into a rod holder behind the seat ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users