Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Freshwater Spinning Tackle

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rick.Salling

Rick.Salling

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:08 AM

I am a new NWC owner. I have started fishing from my boat a good bit. I mainly fish for bass in the lakes in S Miss. I am losing fish when they jump close to the boat. Suspect it is due to my poor hook sets. I am using plastic baits and my hooks are all new and sharp. A friend suggested getting line that won't stretch like mono. Maybe a braided line or flurocarbon. Any of you have a point of view or experienced a similar thing? Any recco's would be appreciated.

#2 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:38 AM

Braid braid braid braid...oh and braid. I've been fishing from a yak for a lil over 2 decades, at times fishing 7 days a week. I use braid on every rod I own, in many cases it has a shock leader of 1-3 ft of mono, but the base line is always braid. It superior in almost every way to mono and flouro carbon. Thinner (more capacity), not damaged as much by the elements, zero stretch, easy to knot (if you use the right knots). The only downside is that it floats, but if you use something like suffix 832 which has fluorocarbon in it, it sinks nicely.

#3 Rick.Salling

Rick.Salling

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:47 AM

What # test would you suggest for Spinning tackle and Baitcasting tackle? I would think 8-10, but would appreciate your thoughts.

#4 nraycroft

nraycroft

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:52 AM

Rick, I second nj05nismo's opinion and recommendation on braid. I have been using it for 15 years or so, and have no complaints on it's performance and most notably, it's sensitivity. You will still want to use a good clear leader, and I would recommend a good fluorocarbon for all sub-surface bait presentations, and mono for topwater (as it "floats" better than fluoro). By the way, do you mind sharing pictures of the new Native Watercraft you recently purchased? If you don't mind, please also update your Tag information to show your City, State. This can be done by clicking on "My Profile" at the top of the page, then click the "About Me" tab in the center of the page, then under "Basic Information", click "Location" and update your City, St. Thanks for the post and I look forward to seeing pictures of the new kayak! Nathan (Nook)

#5 Rick.Salling

Rick.Salling

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

Ok. Profile updated. Don't know how to post a picture. Forums are new ground for me. Not something I have used. But growing to appreciate their value, as I am getting great help! Also, any recco's on brand and # test for braid? How long should the leader be? What are the best knots to use with braid.

#6 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:20 AM

Leader length is very user subjective. You will get 1000 answers as to the "correct" length. I start long, and shorten it till I'm catching fish. Mono is cheap, and flouro isn't that expensive. I've been very happy with my power pro. When it first came out I had issues so I stayed with the spider wire, but now I like it more than the spider wire. I have also used suffix 832 but that's for bottom bouncing in the salt. As for test...again what are I using it for? If your ripping frogs through lillys, then 30#, if your looking for a gentle presentation of a dropshot...I'd use 6-8# max. I have two rods I use for most of my freshwater, one has 8 the other has 10...both catch fish! That's for spinning, for bait casting I use 20-30# depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. As for knots, check out knot wars...more info than o can shake a rod at. I use a yucatan knot to my leader (never had an issue with it). Just remember to put a wrap of medical tape on your spool before putting your line on to keep it from slipping. Also put the line on as tight as you possibly can (unlike mono/flouro)

#7 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

What type and size hooks are you using and with what type and length of plastics? EWG or extra wide gap hooks appropriately sized with your bait of choice allow a little more movement of the fish lessening pullouts. Strength or diameter of the hook also is important. If you hooking 1-2 lb Bass with a 3X hook it's going to be harder to get a solid hook set than with a lighter gauge. A couple of other factors are your rod tip action and how you fight the fish. If your rod tip is slow or heavy it won't allow needed flex to absorb sudden twists or flipping when a fish jumps. When your fighting the fish always lead the fish towards your kayak. If it changes direction sweep the rod where it's going while reeling. Most of the time you can feel a fish rising quickly towards a jump. If you feel it lower the rod tip to or into the water to try to keep it from jumping, unless you can coax them to jump right into your kayak.

#8 jediangler

jediangler

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

Get some Berkeley Nano in 8 or 10lb test. I've replaced the 832 suffix on my spinning reels with the Nano and have been very happy. It'll cast 15 to 20% farther and doesn't have a habit of wrapping around the end of your rod like the 832 does.

#9 knobcreekman

knobcreekman

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hey Rick, welcome aboard from another person in your area. I don't really have much to add... just saying "hey". I switched to braid for the first time this year, and let me tell you that stuff will change your life. I use 20 lb Power Pro super slick. leader length varies, and I use a double uni knot to join them because it's the first one I learned for braid. I haven't had the knot fail yet, so it's good enough for me.

#10 Rick.Salling

Rick.Salling

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

Hey, thanks for the welcome and the insight. I am guessing since you live in Mobile, most of your fishing is saltwater? Or do you bass fish in fresh water and use the 20# braid? Spinning tackle or baitcaster?

#11 Rick.Salling

Rick.Salling

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

Excellent, thank you. Where is K/W Ontario. I go fishing every year out of Ignace. Fly in trip to Lake Metionga.

#12 knobcreekman

knobcreekman

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

Hey, thanks for the welcome and the insight. I am guessing since you live in Mobile, most of your fishing is saltwater? Or do you bass fish in fresh water and use the 20# braid? Spinning tackle or baitcaster?

I fish fresh and salt, and I have the 20lb power pro on both. In the interest of full disclosure, I am not a gearhead that owns or has tried most everything. I have two rods and reels. I've got a spinning setup and a baitcaster. But I grew up fishing 10lb Stren on everything without any issues, so I don't worry about it too much :-) Depending on the situation, I vary the length of the leader. Like when I'm fishing Big Creek Lake... now that is some clear water. but it's our drinking supply, so I guess that's a good thing.

#13 Jdog

Jdog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationMorehead city NC

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

While I use braid I think it is a pain! We were catching bass on mono and soft plastics long before braid was around. You got other issues, most likely you rod is not got the back bone to "drive" the point of that hook in and set it well. Using same rod braid will be the answer as with its zero stretch it will really get at hook in. I think braid is a straight pain honestly, BUT! You cannot beat its sensitivity and feel you have of your bait. It is worth the aggravation. I use a good stretch of mono or fluoro for a leader - don't really stress measuring it out though? Put a good six ten feet of leader means you'll have to retire it less often as you change baits! LOL I use an ole Albright knot to attach my leader to braid and a dab of loon "uv knot sense" Tight lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users