Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

scrubbers holes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hank

hank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

I fish a small lake that has flooded timbers and tree limbs get caught in the holes. Is there any way I can plug the holes or what should I do?

#2 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

Get an Ultimate??? I've never had this problem...I've had the tag along wheel get stuck but not a scupper.

#3 JoeMDavis

JoeMDavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

It happens. Its no fun in 20' of water!

#4 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:43 AM

I know some guys who fish a heavily timbered lake up in VA and all they have are SOT's. They carry a small handsaw with them to get unstuck when a point snags a scupper hole. It's probably one of the most awkward maneuvers you'll ever perform while on a kayak and not everyone has the ability to do it, but it does work. As far as plugging them though, you could get some rubber stoppers to fit your scuppers, bolts, nuts and either an opposing stopper or washer for the top side of the hole. Insert bolt from the bottom and nut on top to hold it all together. Stoppers should be just snug and not tightened down so tight to cause heavy pressure on the scuppers - which could be damaged if you do so. Smooth bottom hulls like the Ultimate definitely help to reduce getting snag but you can still get high-sided on a limb. I did once by unintentionally paddling up on a large limb point. Paddle strokes wouldn't unstick me and the water was cold and deep enough that I didn't want to get in but was able to sling my anchor across another limb and pull myself back in the direction I came from. It's definitely not fun and can easily cause you to flip when trying to get unstuck.

#5 hank

hank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

I was in Va. and did turn over. Also have a ultimate. I'll be taking it next time, thank's for the reply

#6 Finsup VB

Finsup VB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

Sounds like I'm glad I only fish the salt!

#7 TAK21

TAK21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

I have been river fishing quite a bit in the last few months and I am thinking about getting one of these.

http://backwaterpadd...om/paddles.html

They have a serrated edge to push on things and a hook that you can grab a branch with to pull. They also have single hand paddles.

#8 hank

hank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

I love the Manta Ray, after reviewing what happen by turning over, it was all my fault. Not thinking enough about my problem. Aways use common sense thinking ahead means a lot. Manta Ray is a great and safe kayak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users