Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Water Inside of Versa Board

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vargasaba

vargasaba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

Hi, I bought an used Versa Board Angler Version and loved it. However, every time I used on the bays (I fish Galveston Bays), I get water inside the hull. If I used the versa on lakes on calm water there is not water after the trips. Sometimes I get about 4 and 5 gallons of water. I had to stop on shore and empty the boat out. Any Ideas where the water is coming from? Is this common on Versa Boards? Thanks

#2 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

I had water coming in through my transducer cable hole, as well as thought the holes I drilled for my stakeout pole...the point beating a small leak can lead to 5+ gallons in a boat in a hurry. I would start by putting a little silicone or lexel in any screw holes...not the ones for the seat or anything bu the ones that just go into plastic (like the rod holders, etc). If that doesn't work, stick a mirror down into the rear hatch so you can see, and have someone pour warer on different sections of the boat till it comes through... Incidentally, since sealing my additions I've had zero water intrusion...

#3 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

More than likely the water is coming in from where the Scotty flush mount holders are mounted. The screws are just threaded into the hull so be careful not to over-tightned them when re-installing. Remove the screws and apply an adequate ring of lexel around the mount. When re-installed the ring should form a barrier between the hull and the mount.

#4 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

I would maybe set it up on some well supported saw horses (one in the middle and others on both ends) out of the sun and put some water into the hull...then watch the bottom for drips, turn it on its sides and watch...anyplace that may have screw holes...flip it over and check the deck holes, etc. Make sure the hull is well supported though and don't fill it up so much the boat will bend from the weight. Also check your scupper holes for cracks. If a stake-out pole was used much through the scuppers, it could cause some fine cracks in the scuppers. Check the rear of the boat well around the tag-along wheel. Think of the stress areas and look for cracks if all the screw holes are ok. Check the deck where you stand.

I have seen decks in other boats crack near the scuppers where people stand ...they put them up on the shore or even on the ground and stand in the boat...the plastic is not strong enough for repeated flexing from someone's weight if the hull is on a hard surface.

#5 vargasaba

vargasaba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for all the ideas. I will strat working on them.

#6 livelybaits

livelybaits

• Members
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

I would check the rod holders first. I used sealant on mine and I never had water in my Versa Board ever again.

#7 cjtobbe

cjtobbe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

Water solution possibly

I would check the rod holders first. I used sealant on mine and I never had water in my Versa Board ever again.

Inoticed you stated it was mostly in choppy water. I had the same issue and if you are gettingh gallons it is most likely not seeping in. I found the small rubber hatch cover on the back end was loose and allowing water in. I ordered a ferw new ones from native and it fixed the large amounts of water intrusion. I still get a little after a long day on the water. Some good suggestions here on how to find the smaller sources.

Also I bought an extra set of old style rubber scupper stoppers for my stakeout pole. I drilled a large enough hole in the center for the pole and another smaller hole to re-tie the string. I then attached it to the set of scuppers already attached. Now I have three. I only use the one with the stake out pole. Simple, cheap and holds steady

#8 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

Even with a stopper is it not suggested to stake out through a scupper as it was not designed for the stresses, and may void your hull warranty. Also small leaks can lead to large amounts of water in the right conditions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users