Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Fly Fishing Dilemma

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pmothers

pmothers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

I bought my versa board last winter and I must say it has drasticly changed the way I fish! I primarily use it sight fishing in SC for reds along oyster bars and mud flats, and its incredible how easily you can sneak up on those fish. But therein lies the problem. Bc I fly fish in slightly turbid water, I cant see the fish until im about 20 or so yards away. So to give you a mental image of how this goes down: I paddle along searching for cruising reds with my fly rod resting at my feet. When I see a fish I franticlly try and put my paddle down quietly and slowly enough to not scare the fish, place my stakeout pole through the skeg hole, pick up fly rod, get a few backcasts, then plop the fly in front of his nose (hopefully!). Bc im in tidal creeks and the fish are foraging this usually happens in about 10-20 seconds due to water/fish/boat movement. While it is a big rush trying to do it so fast, it also has led me to spooking or missing to many fish. Anyone have any suggestions on a setup to make this process smoother and quicker? It would be nice to simply use the plastic paddle holder to secure my paddle, but this cant be done bc it will get tangled with loose flyline I have layed across the deck (for quicker casting). I was thinking about using a paddle leash and simply ditching the paddle when I see a fish, but I imagine this would get in the way. Another idea i thought about would be a small anchor intead of stake out pole bc im not stopping for long (take one step out of the process). Anyway, I know this is a fairly small dilemma given that ive been succesful on most outings. But hey, who doesnt want to have a chance at a few more fish? If anyone has any ideas (or would like to design a Powerpole small enough foy a kayak!) feel free to share.

#2 silverback13

silverback13

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

try a paddle pole you can pole and paddle yourself along while standing and the stake your self out with the same pole. that way all you have to do is pick up the fly rod

#3 pmothers

pmothers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

try a paddle pole you can pole and paddle yourself along while standing and the stake your self out with the same pole. that way all you have to do is pick up the fly rod

Ive looked into that but no one makes a decent looking/light weight paddle pole. Also, im not sure i could handle paddling for a few hours without the comfort of a paddleboard grip!

#4 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

How deep is the water? You could use something like a mhx push pole. The other thing you can do is get a belt mounted paddle clip, attach the stakeout pole to it. And when you stop, snag the pole, replace it with the paddle and stake out the boat...if that makes sense.

#5 Ultimate Fly

Ultimate Fly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

I've also seen something in the flyfishing rags, that is a holster for your fly rod. Can't remember what it's call though. I would thing you might be able to slip it in a back pocket also. With a paddle pole and this technique you might not even have to bend over.

#6 Ultimate Fly

Ultimate Fly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

Another thing, I've seen fishing shirts and fishing PFD's that have rod holders on them. Simple loop of cord on the bottom and velcro latch on top. They hold the rod against your chest.

#7 pmothers

pmothers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

The stake out pole I have is actually a SuperStick push pole (telescopic). Im fishing in water <2 feet so the push pole would work on its own. I like the idea of the rod holder. As far as the PFD shirts go, if had trouble having them hold my 6 ft 3wt, so I don't think I could hold my burly 8wt with it. I might have to look into belt holders. I'm sure I could rig something up like a sling with a plastic clip. Any idea who makes something like this? That way I could copy thier idea!

#8 pmothers

pmothers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

Found this:
http://blogs.clarion...1/#comment-1145

I'm obviously not the first to have this problem. Read this guys post. Has some great solutions to all my problems!

#9 Ultimate Fly

Ultimate Fly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

http://www.floridaba...com/rodmate.php

Check this out!!

#10 pmothers

pmothers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hahaha, I saw that online last night and immediately ordered one! I'll let you know how it works once I have a chance to use it.

#11 ECU Daniel 14

ECU Daniel 14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

you could also make a paddle belt using the Native tacoshell paddle clip and an old belt.....I use it all the time and it holds my paddle so I dont have to bend down to put it down and pick it up...

#12 gst15

gst15

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

Found this:
http://blogs.clarion...1/#comment-1145

I'm obviously not the first to have this problem. Read this guys post. Has some great solutions to all my problems!

I'll tell him of your compliment. His office is about a mile from our house and we have fished together at Grand Isle a number of times..

#13 inrll

inrll

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

http://www.floridaba...com/rodmate.php

Check this out!!

This is probably a dumb question but how does it actually hold the rod? I understand how it attaches to belts or lanyards but it looks like maybe it opens then shuts down around the rod? For some reason I can't find where they describe it on their website. I wonder if it is a one handed operation?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users