Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Rear Tag Along Wheel Issue

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 3kushn

3kushn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

Guys I'm about to take off the rear Tag Along Wheel (caster). Its a nice idea but it seems to create more issues than it resolves. Its nice to not have to use a cart but I've found that in reality it causes me to have to roll it empty or its real tippy, so I have to take another trip or two for my gear. All that can be dealt with but here was the last straw. I get hung up on a tree around a swift narrow corner. All is well till I push off and the caster hangs up good. I end up having to bail out in deep swift water to get unhung. I mentioned in the "make a suggestion" thread for a quick release and later thought of a hinged mount. Not sure if anyone heard me or considered improving this. Anyway love the yak and still working through it all. Wish I could get out more in it.

#2 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

I too have noticed the same issue paddling a boat with the Tag Along Wheel in the swamp. It can hang on tree limbs and slightly submerged stumps. I think it is a good idea and very useful to many but can be a hindrance to others in certain conditions. At least it is removable without any issues. I would personally prefer a rounded hard plastic replaceable skeg that is reasonably priced.

#3 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

This is a good topic and one that we were just discussing yesterday. Native's owner manuals do need updating to reflect the statement about removing the wheel when used in whitewater as it does for the Liquid Logic Coupe, Deuce Coupe and Versa board, as well as the Manta Ray. Though some slow moving rivers many of us wouldn't define as whitewater, I would go as far as saying anything above Class I would be wise to remove the wheel.

#4 TNtrout

TNtrout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

I would love to see the Manta Ray receive the same new fixed handle with the foam cover that the Slayer is debuting. The hard fixed handle would give you a little better control of the Manta Ray when using the wheel and would help control that tippy feeling when rolling it. The soft flexible handle is still better than many boats, but because it is flexible it gives poor control when lifting a load under pressure. Same scenario holds true when lifting the kayak by the soft handles on the side of the boat at midship.

#5 duff645

duff645

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:18 AM

I have never installed the Tag Along Wheel for the same reasons mentioned above. Too bad it does not flip up like the rudder. Since I paddle alone on most instances, the only reason I would use the wheel is when lifting the kayak onto my Yakima racks (with the boatloader assist bar). I use a towel on the ground so that the keel does not get damage from dragging it on the ground while leaning the bow of the MR onto the assist bar. Now if I can only get the wheel to be a quick release so that I can use it for transporting/loading purpose and not while I am paddling with it (hint ... hint ... hint). Looks like a winter project for me!

#6 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

Making the rear wheel quick release should be easy. Making the bracket quick release would be a little harder...lol. You would need a screw with a hole drilled in it for a pin x2, but then you would need spacers or something to make it more secure. In that case your probably better off using a cart...

#7 TAK21

TAK21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

I think the wheel is a great "Secondary" accessory. It works well for moving my Manta Ray around the yard and driveway and for loading. But yesterday I took mine to a very rough boat ramp. The concrete was rough from erosion and the wheel would not function enough to keep control and the keel from dragging. I tried to move to gravel on the side of the ramp, but it wasn't much better. This just compouned the balance problem with it tipping over. They had a wood floating dock next to the ramp so when I came back from fishing I pulled it up on that and rolled it off to the parking lot. I will probably purchase or build a 2 wheel cart to actually put in and exit the water.

#8 Baitrunner

Baitrunner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

To fix the wobbling on my manta ray I took the wheel it came with off. Instead I took the rear wheels off my neice's old tricycle and put one on each side of bracket. Made a lot more stable. But once at river I take it off not wanting to take chance hitting a rock and doing damage to yak. I used screw studs with wing nuts instead of ones it came with.

#9 vanjr

vanjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

To fix the wobbling on my manta ray I took the wheel it came with off. Instead I took the rear wheels off my neice's old tricycle and put one on each side of bracket. Made a lot more stable. But once at river I take it off not wanting to take chance hitting a rock and doing damage to yak. I used screw studs with wing nuts instead of ones it came with.

Great idea.
I never installed my tag a long.

#10 J.A. Veil

J.A. Veil

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:56 AM

I initially installed the Tagalong wheel on my 2012 Manta Ray 14, but with a single wheel, the kayak tends to lean to one side or another and may drag the plastic on the ground. A few years ago I had made a set of scupper-mount wheels. The upright posts did not pass all the way through the scupper holes, adding more stress to the scuppers. I stopped using them. [ATTACH=CONFIG]4754[/ATTACH] Last summer, I combined the best features of both rigs to make a new hybrid version. I had a 2 ft long stainless steel all-thread axle and two large wheels that were part of the kayak wheels. I removed them from the previous rig. I took the small wheel off of the Manta Ray, but left the stainless steel bracket in place. I found a spare piece of PVC pipe in the basement -- it fit nicely through a hole in the bracket. Then I ran the axle through the pipe and secured the wheels with stainless steel nuts. [ATTACH=CONFIG]4755[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]4756[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]4757[/ATTACH] I can remove one wheel, insert the pipe and axle into the bracket, then attach the second wheel with a few twists on a nut. The two sturdy wheels spaced widely apart rolled nicely across the parking lot and down the concrete ramp without any leaning problems. Once in the water, I could quickly remove one nut and wheel, then slide the pipe, axle, and other wheel from the bracket. This takes only 30 seconds. For my local launches with only grass or sand, I will continue to drag/slide the kayak to the water using a tow rope and my back to pull it. But where a parking lot and hard ramp are involved, I can use the new wheels rig.

#11 Catskill

Catskill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

Versa Board section of the forum has good tag along Q&A solutions

http://www.nativeown...ag-a-long-wheel...

I installed two wheels on the outside and left the OEM wheel alone in the middle. Works great.

#12 azarmadillo

azarmadillo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

I have never installed the Tag Along Wheel for the same reasons mentioned above. Too bad it does not flip up like the rudder.

Would you sell your tag-a-long wheel?

#13 mangonboat

mangonboat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

Pretty nifty! The ideas and innovations on the Versa Board thread are also great and using 2 or 3 wheels mounted on the same axle is such a simple solution. It looks like both boats use the same bracket. Both approaches provide flexibility on what sort of wheels to use on the outside, to adapt to different terrain conditions at the launch site.

#14 nauticaldreamer

nauticaldreamer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:46 PM

One way that has helped me use the tag along wheel is to open the front hatch and pull the kayak holding the lip of the hatch opening. It allows you to carry all your gear also without tipping over. I have had my Manta Ray for several months now and absolutely love it! It's perfect for the open water fishing I do. Anyways just thought this might help out a few Manta Ray owners.

#15 mangonboat

mangonboat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

Good idea! My wife fell in love with my MR 11 and we just bought another MR 12 for her...Blue Lagoon (it had to be pretty!)

#16 bcfryer

bcfryer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationCentral Georgia

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:43 AM

Anyone have a  tag wheel and bracket for sale? I would like to try one on my Native Redfish 14.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users