Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Depressed!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 yakmang

yakmang

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

Last year sucked for yaking around here in SW mo. Went only three times due to low water levels. This year is shaping up to be worse than last. Went once so far on my local river. A spring rain brought the river up and was great but every rain fall since has not down anythinbg to raise the river to what I cinsider a floatable level. The river rises a little and goes back dowbn in a day. An even at that the level then would be a hiking trail anyway…My yard is brown as well….nice... I'm down to do a road trip for a decent float but no one wants to commit to a 2 hr drive one way on the weekend to get there. Having familes with small children it's hard for them to commit to it. I understand. One close river is just a party ride in the summer. Can't do that. They are to drunk and out of control. Shoot have a beer but let the rest of us have sone river enjoyment too ya know? So... I'm down... needing a float…. and no rian in sight...:sad: anyone else having a dry year for yakin?

#2 livelybaits

livelybaits

• Members
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

If it keeps raining like it is, I'll be able to paddle down the streets here.

#3 DavidF

DavidF

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

I live in Oklahoma and was just talking to some friends today about needing to head to SW MO to find any water! Seriously, looking at trying to find some spring fed rivers up that way, everything in Oklahoma is based on what falls from the sky, and lately that hasn't been much... Black River near Ironton, Mo. the Jacks Fork at Eminence, or the Big Piney were all mentioned as possibilities.

#4 yakmang

yakmang

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

Jacks fork would be good. The Current river would be good or the Norfork river upstream from Dawt Mill down to Dawt would be great. Beautiful as well. It's just so far away for a day trip. I've done it but 2 hr drive there all day on the river and 2 back makes for one long day. Let me know where you wind up going if you do.

#5 DavidF

DavidF

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

I'll keep you posted when things fall together. Would probably go up Friday night, camp and then paddle on Saturday. It's too far for a day trip for me too, most of the SW part of the state is 3 to 4 hours way for me..

#6 Get:Outdoors

Get:Outdoors

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:00 AM

Maybe once you get some rain you can do this:

#7 yakmang

yakmang

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

HA! I'd settle for that at the moment ;-)

#8 bauc

bauc

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

Take a trip to Canada Quebec / Ontario Outaouais region and kayak the ottawa river or the gatineau :) lots of rapids and water here and nice folks.

#9 yakmang

yakmang

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

I'm just about to give any hope of yakin here in my area. No rain for I don't know how long….. very frustrating. I have taken up fly fishing for trout in the meantime and I'm hooked BABY! A friend took me and we caught several fish! I'm Stoked. Got a new fly rod and reel as a gift from that friend. Bought some waders and boots and looking for a net release and a vest. I've gone down the gadget highway as my friend says. Honey bager don't care! LOL! At least I've found something to do in the heat that keeps me cool and connected outside. I so need that!

#10 Bayouscoot

Bayouscoot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:14 AM

I'm just about to give any hope of yakin here in my area. No rain for I don't know how long….. very frustrating. I have taken up fly fishing for trout in the meantime and I'm hooked BABY! A friend took me and we caught several fish! I'm Stoked. Got a new fly rod and reel as a gift from that friend. Bought some waders and boots and looking for a net release and a vest. I've gone down the gadget highway as my friend says. Honey bager don't care! LOL! At least I've found something to do in the heat that keeps me cool and connected outside. I so need that!

Get that yak on some flat water with the fly rod and look for some bass or panfish.
Come on down to Louisiana and hit some redfish in the marsh. It's addicting!

#11 yakmang

yakmang

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

Finally some yaking ….and FISHING! Had great weather and decent water yesterday on the Niangua river in Mo. Caught my limit of decent trout also. Haveg trout almondine for dinner. Yum! [ATTACH=CONFIG]3714[/ATTACH]

#12 yakmang

yakmang

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Finally got out yesterday on the Niangua river in Mo. and caught my limit of decent size trout. Posted a pic over in the Ultimate forum being as I caught it in my U12. Having trout almondine for dinner tonight!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users