Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Help me choose

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

Because I'm now prostaff I've decided to spend some more time getting new people into kayak fishing. I do a little bit of that now but not having a "large" fleet makes it a bit harder. I've settled that I won't be able to get a mariner this year so instead I'm gonna pick up a pair of redfish. I was thinking 10ft anglers but am not 100% sold on the short one...I may decide I want a 10 and a 12. I know the longer boat is gonna track better and be quicker, but I will also have the u14.5 available for that. How do the 10s paddle? As long as they track reasonably the short length and maneuverability I think will be good for the waters I will be fishing with guests.

#2 Upaddle2

Upaddle2

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 175 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Go 12ft! We sell this boat as a kid or small paddlers kayak for mostly river use. Not only does the short length limit this boats ability to track well, its also a very flat bottomed kayak, so the lack of keel and draft in the water allows this boat to be very loose (great for shallow moving water, not so good on lakes or deep, slow moving rivers). It also doesn't have a very high weight carrying capacity so using it with clients will limit who can use this boat. The listed 325lb capacity is a little stretched if you still want to have some actual performance value in this boat. Hope this helps, Will

#3 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

Yup it does, that what I wanted to hear. 12 sounds like a better deal.

#4 TNtrout

TNtrout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

I agree...definitely 12 over the 10. You might even consider one 12 and one 14. The 14 will be much better for a bigger person. The more I paddle and take people out to paddle, the more I am enjoying the 14ft boats. I started my guide service like you using the smallest boats I could get away with for the sake of weight and ease in loading, but the overall performance of the 14s is so much better that my fleet seems to be weighted with more 14 ft boats each year. Anyway, just my 2 cents...

#5 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

I think the 12 will suit me well. For the rivers that I fish the 12 is a better length (the u14.5 was always a little big) and if I'm going on lakes I'm giving them the option of the ultimate. We shall see, maybe next year I'll add a redfish 14 or a manta ray...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users