Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading the tag a long wheel...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

I have been pretty happy with the wheel on the Versa board, but I was bored and wanted to try something else, so I decided to try and re-engineer it to see if I can make it work better. That not to say there is a problem but why not? Picked up a pair of reinforced nylon wheels from mcmaster, along with some flanged bushings. I'm gonna use a longer bolt and basically replace the one wheel with two. I may also try using the original wheel to have three wheels but we shall see how that goes. I'm hoping to improve its soft sand performance as well as its stability. Pictures either tommarow or when I get back from cabarete...

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:30 AM

Look forward to seeing what you come up with as I've thought about doing the same thing. So far the only wheel sieve looked at are nylon which would at least be more quiet when rolling on pavement. Haven't found anything much wider that would still fit within the bracket though. Were you going to add wheels outside the bracket? -Philip

#3 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

Yea the wheels are gonna go on either side of the bracket...I may or may not leave the oem one in the center of the bracket.

#4 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

Ok so the bolts I had were too long. Don't have time to go to the store since I'm packing for vaca...but I did get to test it out and it seems to work great. 100% stable when rolling around and zero tilting when loaded. I won't get to try sand/gravel till I get back but I'm hoping the extra surface area will counteract any increased drag. Full report in a week or two.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 livelybaits

livelybaits

• Members
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

Actually, I was curious when this topic came up. What I would have considered was a larger wheel instead of a second wheel of the same size.

#6 silverback13

silverback13

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

just an idea but you could use wheels off a skatboard. they would be very solid and light.

#7 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

Lively-tried that ran into clearance issues. Plus this adds stability so it doesn't lean over.

#8 rgramjet

rgramjet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:54 AM

Great idea! I will be looking at making a similar mod for my tippy versa!

#9 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:28 AM

Hmmmm...mountain board wheels....inflatable to soften the ride. they would work much better on sand and gravel. May have to put a shim between the bracket and board to get a bit more clearance though. And I would think the drag back there the way the board is designed would be minimal. It looks like there would be mainly back-flow turbulence the way it is designed so the extra wheels wouldn't affect the performance much if any.

#10 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

Great idea! I will be looking at making a similar mod for my tippy versa!

When I get back stateside I'll post up all the parts I used.

Hmmmm...mountain board wheels....inflatable to soften the ride. they would work much better on sand and gravel. May have to put a shim between the bracket and board to get a bit more clearance though. And I would think the drag back there the way the board is designed would be minimal. It looks like there would be mainly back-flow turbulence the way it is designed so the extra wheels wouldn't affect the performance much if any.

my concern would be the bearings. The oem bolt is 3/8th inch and I had a time finding durable light wheels that did not need bearings.

#11 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

After nearly a full year of heavy saltwater use the brash bushing electrolytically attached themselves to the SS bolts... Plan b time. Got some 1/2" shoulder bolts and got rid of the bushings...shoulda done that in the first place, lol. Ill try and get pics up this weekend of the new setup. I used the same wheels I had...just milled them to be a bit narrower. Below is the new hardware I used. 1 97345A716 316 Stainless Steel Shoulder Screw, 1/2" Shoulder Diameter, 1-1/2" L Shoulder, 3/8"- 16t 2 90268A032 18-8 Stainless Steel Coupling Nut, 3/8"-16 Thread Size, 1-3/4" Length, 5/8" Width

#12 Bigkidneys

Bigkidneys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

Doing the same thing as you. What size were the wheels you got?

#13 Kgchico

Kgchico

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

Awesome! Would like to see the mod on a slayer!

#14 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

I believe they are 4". They are the same dimensions as stock... Should work the same on any tag along equipped boat...

#15 Hoverp

Hoverp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:04 AM

Hi, first post here, just bought 2 versa boards, a Native angler, and a green liquid logic for the wife, love the Versa. Where did you guys get the wheels for the mod? Thanks Patrick

#16 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

I got all the parts from McMaster. I used to have the part number for the wheels but haven't been able to find it on my iPad...

#17 azarmadillo

azarmadillo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

Would love to see the pics of the updated design/parts. I'm loving having the wheel but I hate that it leans over on me all the time.

#18 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

It looks identical to the old setup...ill get some pics of it tomorrow.

#19 RACJ

RACJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

I just bought 2 of these,1 for me...1 for wife. I'd like to try this conversion to 2 wheels also. Loaded up they do tip side to side when rolling.That's pretty tough on a 62 yr. old back. Mine are rolled from paved parking lot to paved ramp so this would help me out greatly. Any info and part numbers appretiated. McMaster is best for parts?? THANKS

#20 azarmadillo

azarmadillo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

I found replacement wheels at a local store here in Phoenix, http://www.lunacastertruck.com/. $4.95 for a 5" wheel that its perfect. I bought three and will run all three instead of 1 or 2. Now I'm trying to find the 5" stainless steel bolt and nut.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users