Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

2012 Redfish

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 TNtrout

TNtrout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

Ok folks, let's talk Redfish...who has one since Native made the conversion from the Heritage line into Native as a rebadged boat?? I've heard other guides say the Redfish was very popular with clients who were beginners because of the relatively flat hull, which gives great initial stability and that very comfortable solid feeling to a beginner. Anyone using a Redfish???

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

Jeff, I haven't had a Redfish for a number of years but have paddled the newly branded Redfish. The finish is more glossy now, the seat is different but other than that it remains the same. It's Native's entry price point SOT, lacks the more ergonomic seat position possessed by the Manta Ray's but if that's not a concern or necessity is a great deal and like you say gives the novice a solid, stable feel. -Philip

#3 TNtrout

TNtrout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:11 PM

Thanks, Philip...yeah the Manta Ray seat is no doubt awesome, and I have not been able to see the Redfish since its rebranding, but I am interested especially at the price point. The last Redfish I saw was in an Orvis shop in Destin FL a couple of years ago. Nice boat, just never paddled one and would love for more of you to jump in here and tell me about your experiences paddling and also about any feedback on the different seat for this year. If memory serves me, the old Redfish had a basic version of the DVC seat?? How does this new seat stack up? Who has spent some time in the boat? I'm a huge Manta Ray fan, use them a lot in my guide service with rave reviews, but the Redfish seems to have its place if I interpret it correctly as a very stable (initially) craft giving up some to the Manta Ray in speed but still seems very solid for river fishing and just easing around in skinny water. Flat hull would probably have its tradeoffs.

#4 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:54 AM

About the only negative I can think of from the flat hull would be a loss of a bit of hull speed. It will probably maneuver better than a rounder hull and will definitely have much better initial stability. I have been on Native to get me a 14 for some extended use and get them some photographs of the boat but so far...no luck. I would also think it would not be very difficult to strap the Manta Ray's nicer seat into this boat as an option.

#5 Rjvermont

Rjvermont

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

The Native Redfish is basicly the same boat as it always was. I still have an original Heritage Redfish along with two new Native Redfish 14's. I've always liked these boats, they are very stable to stand in and are very quiet with no hull slap. The only difference I believe with the new boats is the seat (which I think is pretty comfortable) and Native is now using a better plastic than a lot of the older boats, more durable (softer?) so no cracking, plus they have a shiny finish.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 livelybaits

livelybaits

• Members
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

That Redfish boat is a great price for someone who wants to get on the water at the least possible cost. The Manta Ray is what I would call "the improved Redfish" for reasons that were mentioned.

#7 Paddleman

Paddleman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

As I am new to the sight and forum, I would first like to say hello. I am the proud owner of two Redfish 12's. I love the boat. As I am also relatively new to kayak fishing, I needed a stable craft at a reasonable price.... This was definately it. I was wondering about rigging my "yak" with some accessories. Has anyone tried to install a trac system on this boat? I will take any advice I can get on this. Also, how are these kayaks when uou try to stand in it? I am a big guy (6'2", 240). Is the hull infront of the seat strong enough for standing? I had already been eyeing the mantaray seat for these kayaks. I thought it would fit good. I would appreciate the extra comfort. I plan to buy a more spcialized fishing kayak later when the funds allow, but for now I will chase them with the Redfish. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

#8 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Welcome to the site,...when it comes to rigging you are only limited by your imagination and wallet. I don't think anyone has installed a track but there is no reason it can't be done. I have not had a chance to spend a lot of time in the seat of a redfish to give you any further pointers. Where are u located?

#9 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

Paddleman,

Take a look at the YakAttack tracks as an option. http://www.shopgetou...-geartrac.html# YOu can mount Ram-Mount balls and now Scotty adapters to the track system. NOt sure where you want to install them but they're available in various lengths.

The Redfish really was never designed to be stood on, though some do it. There have been a few that have developed cracks at the scuppers from over flexing. If you were around 170 lbs and weren't standing on it in areas of high heat (over 90º) you could probably get away with it but if I were you I wouldn't test it. The Slayer's oversized scuppers are able to displace weight much better than the Redfish if you need something to stand on. At your height and weight the 14' would be more ideal.

- welcome to the site and good times on the water

#10 Paddleman

Paddleman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Great info! I am located in north Georgia , Jeremy. My given name is James Brown ( believe it or not). But my friends call me Jim. As far as my yak goes, I guess I will fish sitting down for now until my funds allow for an upgrade. It is a great paddle and I think it is an under appreciated kayak. And yak4fish, 10-4 on the 174lbs. I haven't seen that since 9th grade! Again thanks for the welcome and info.

#11 jazilla

jazilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

Anyone remove the foam located inside the hull. I would like to get rid of it so I can store my paddle inside my boat but am skeptical as it came with the foam for a reason.

#12 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

That foam supports the bottom of the hull and helps keep it from oil canning...where the bottom gets dips and rolls. It also supports the seat area and transfers weight evenly onto the bottom of the hull from weight applied up on the deck. Early on, there were some boats developing cracks in front of the seat because of standing...concentrated pressure in that area stressed the plastic. This foam relieves and distributes that pressure.

#13 Paddleman

Paddleman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

Would adding some extra foam I may have help prevent cracking near the scuppers if one would decide to stand and fish?

#14 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

It certainly wouldn't hurt. I would just make sure it was a snug fit and not crammed in there. I think the main issues with scupper hole failure is from standing while the boat is on firm ground or from using a cart that fits through the scupper holes.

#15 jazilla

jazilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

Is it that the plastic is too thin? I have a buddy with a tarpon and a brother with a pescador and neither have foam. They can insert there paddle inside the hull for storage as i have seem with other boats.

#16 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

It's not that the plastic is too thin, more so, the scuppers are small compared to most and just aren't designed to carry heavy and concentrated loads over them. Similar principle with pilings, the wider the diameter the larger the load capability.

#17 Paddleman

Paddleman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

If I decide to mount a fish finder, would it be better to mount the transducer in the hull or would the scupper hole mount work on a redfish? I would rather have it in the water for temp purposes. I have seen the mounts that put it over the side, but I would rather do the hole if possible. I have not thought of the scupper hole size.

#18 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

I would mount it in-hull. Though you could use a thru-scupper mount it would project far enough below the hull to snag and wear. Most in-hull transducers with temp sensors with read about 5 degrees higher than the water, varying some based on hull color.

#19 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

On that hull I agree with through hull..

#20 Bassassin

Bassassin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

As I am new to the sight and forum, I would first like to say hello. I am the proud owner of two Redfish 12's.
I love the boat. As I am also relatively new to kayak fishing, I needed a stable craft at a reasonable price....
This was definately it. I was wondering about rigging my "yak" with some accessories. Has anyone tried to
install a trac system on this boat? I will take any advice I can get on this. Also, how are these kayaks when uou
try to stand in it? I am a big guy (6'2", 240). Is the hull infront of the seat strong enough for standing? I had
already been eyeing the mantaray seat for these kayaks. I thought it would fit good. I would appreciate the extra
comfort. I plan to buy a more spcialized fishing kayak later when the funds allow, but for now I will chase them with
the Redfish. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

You know who to call Jim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users