Toggle %s Hello Guest

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

- - - - -

...and then there where 2 (aka remedy to an empty nest)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 waterlove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:19 PM

Well, it's been quite a summer since our original venture into this addiction w/the purchase of our Marvel 10 last May! While I got in a few REALLY nice paddles (and am loving it more each time) my son has gone off to college in the Adirondacks and has taken it w/him and I am sorely missing it...um...sorry, him. He is settling in well but finding that his studies are taking up considerable time so is not getting out as much as he'd like. (See, should've left it home for me.) Ok, so it was technically part of his graduation gift. (Then I got bit, Bad!) He originally wanted a Marvel 12 but we found a really good deal on the 10 and bought it w/the intention of continuing to search for a 12. Which I have been doing diligently and also drooling over lots of boats belonging to the many fine people I met during no less than 3 trips to the Adirondacks over the last 3 months. So while pining away in my empty nest (being that it had been an entire week since I had last paddled the Marvel...I mean seen my son) I just had to do something. So this past weekend, I came really close to buying a Compass Elite (see my post under Compass) and almost a used Hornbeck at an unbelievable price and even had a fleeting thought of just buying an Otter. (I said, I had to do something!) But instead, I went out and bought a cheap (pretty abused) rental Marvel 12 at an end of season sale. The 'new' '09 12 has had a tough life for it's short years; I just had to rescue it. The poor thing looks like someone dragged it (on all sides/angles) BEHIND a vehicle instead of on top. Even the top corner of the metal seat frame is pretty severely gouged. Fortunately, other than being a little dirty, the rest of the seat is in good shape and everything is structurally sound, intact and working; so now just working on cleaning it up a bit. No worries of babying a new boat, that’s for sure! Is a little hefty for me to handle by myself but not as bad as I thought and son will now have his bigger boat for camping etc. So now we have a practically new Marvel 10 & a 12 for less than the cost of a new 12 (even at the best sale prices) Wooo Hoooo! Hmmm maybe w/the savings, I can still buy that Compass.....or....... Hope everyone had a great summer! Looks like we’re in for a few nice days coming up ‘round here. You can find me in a beat up Firebrick Marvel 12. At least I’ll be on the water! And in a 1st class seat!

#2 Yasukuni

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:42 AM

Glad to hear that you finally got yourself a ride. Only used my boats once this summer as I had my left knee replaced on 6/21 and my right on 7/26. Just now starting to think that I could wiggle myself in and out of a yak (anybody got a cheap portable winch for sale). Hoping to take advantage of some fine fall paddlin.

#3 boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:05 AM

Yasu...sounds like you need to find some hip boots and borrow a sit on top for paddling for a while....wade out a bit and sit down onto the boat from the side...a ton easier on your knees than getting in and out of one from the bank.

#4 waterlove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:11 PM

Thanks Yasukuni! So sorry to hear you did not get to enjoy your summer on your boats! (don'tcha know yer sposta do that surgery stuff in the winter! Or would that be worse?) I've taken that new old Marvel 12 out 4 times now. 3 of them over that beautiful Columbus weekend we just had (Was great but I'm worn out) Hope you get some fall paddlin in too! (But be careful)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users