Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Rolling the Marvel

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Seer

Seer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:27 PM

Has anyone tried to roll their Marvel yet?

#2 yakmang

yakmang

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:20 AM

Seer What's up man? I be curious about that aslo. I have tipped but once she fills there is no turning back. No skirt on my boat. I never get into that rough of water plus if the boat tips I want away from the boat. Almost got pined once. Scary! Besides the seat that's another reason I bought a Marel. A large cockipit for easy exit. A full Marvel is one heavy boat when full!

#3 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:18 AM

Without thigh bracing it would be very difficult to hold yourself in the boat when it tips...plus the wide flat deck makes things even more difficult. Using an extended paddle may help some if you can figure out how to hold yourself in place.

#4 Seer

Seer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:47 AM

Okay, my brother said rolling a Marvel would be impossible. Any of you with siblings might see how that could be seen as a challenge. I already have a skirt for late season paddling and am working on inflatable thigh pads as the economy permits and well, in the right circumstances....

#5 Yasukuni

Yasukuni

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:40 AM

Rots of Ruck, for me the advantage of my Marvel is that if she goes over the first thing out of the boat is me.

#6 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:26 AM

Way back in the day when the first daredevils started running anything over a class III in an open canoe, it was interesting to see how the development of padding and bracing made a difference in how well you could actually stay in a boat. I remember outfitting my open canoe to the hilt and running a very popular river in the mountains of NC with my wife. As long as I had a big paddle that would hold a good brace, we could run the worst the river offered even half way turned over...a good paddle brace stroke and tight outfitting in the boat held us in. One day we ran the final drop and a guy approached us and asked if I would run the drop with him in his boat...his wife didn't want to run the thing as the river was running very high that day. I said sure and found that he didn't have any straps, bracing or anything other than extra floatation in the boat. Half way down the drop we hit a side wave and it started to flip the boat...I was ready with a big paddle brace...but it didn't matter because there was nothing to hold me in the boat. So I braced myself all the way down the run... out of the boat. My wife got a good chuckle. If you want to stay in the boat...you have to have something in there to hold you in...and that is where proper outfitting comes into play.

#7 Seer

Seer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:41 PM

Point taken. Great advice!

#8 marvel12

marvel12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:10 AM

i flipped mine first time out lol got hung up and while pushin off it rolled and my reaction sealed it lol thankfully i saved it (shallow water) i does seem very hard to do tho, did alot went thru alot and kept upright! i'm sad native gave up the marvel its an awesome boat!

#9 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:26 AM

i'm sad native gave up the marvel its an awesome boat!

They didn't give it up...just moved it over to the Liquid Logic line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users