Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Marvel 12 rudder question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 demers669

demers669

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:15 PM

After extensive research, paddling different kayaks and from reading the different posts on this site, I am planning on purchasing a Marvel 12. My question is does the rudder make a big enough difference when paddling to justify its $299 price? I paddle in various locations from quiet streams to lakes where winds can kick up. Dave

#2 Seer

Seer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:17 AM

I have the rudder on my 12 and am glad it's there. I would guess it depends on your paddling style as to whether you would like one or not. For me, it's great to use when paddling rivers, against the weather and doing the lazy shoreline thing. On a river it helps to compensate for the current trying to push you in directions you don't want to go and then of course when your going with the current, it's great to use it to just coast along. On a lake if you're coasting in the tree line for shade or just taking it easy, it helps you stay where you want to be. Without it the boat will tend to go into a slow spin after a bit of drifting. Now when I want speed, I lift it out. When in, the rudder creates a bit of drag and will noticeably slow down the boat. The Marvel tracks fairly well on its own and with the rudder up and I can easily keep up with the other 12's (Pungos, Axis,Ibis and Regals) I've been out with. I can also take them all in a non-race-race if you know what I mean. I bought my Marvel as it was the only boat on my list of boats to buy in town. The rudder was already on it so I bought it without knowing much about it. I have found it a worthy option and think my yakking experience has been much better from having it on my boat. Hope this helps, Tom

#3 yakmang

yakmang

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:51 AM

I have a M12 w/o rudder so I can't testify to how it would be but adding to Seers comments if the rivers you are going to yak are not deep rivers, in other words have shallows and rocks and you forget to raise the rudder in the shallow areas..…that could be an exspensive mistake at $299. Just food for thought. I have a skeg on my U12 it does make a diff and a rudder would be down in the water much more than the skeg so for deeper water I can see a great benenfit. Nothing worse than fighting your boat in the wind or current. Post a pic when you get your yak. Welcome aboard!

#4 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:15 AM

Adding to the good info mention already, a rudder is a useful tool for boat control (wind or current) while fishing. Keeps you from having to constantly pick up a paddle for adjustments under those conditions. Included with the rudder kit is a line cleat to lock down the rudder once deployed. If you're in moving water and going in the same direction you can leave the line out of the cleat to avoid major damage to the rudder from obstructions etc. -Philip

#5 demers669

demers669

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for all the advice which helped in my decision. I just got back from purchasing a Marvel 12 and having the rudder put on

#6 Seer

Seer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:49 PM

Cool! I don't think you'll regret it. That rudder's a pretty good piece of aluminum and, having forgotten to pull it up a time or two in the shallows have to say it will take a bit of abuse without showing any wear. You may want to pull the two rudder bracket screws when you get the boat and put a spot of blue loctite on them before putting them back in.

#7 demers669

demers669

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:53 PM

Picked up my new Marvel 12 yesterday and finally got it out on the water today. Am happy I got the rudder with it. Paddled a couple of hours and my back felt great

http://www.box.net/f...6/1/f_887553590

#8 demers669

demers669

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:57 PM

Here's a pic of the boat

http://www.nativeown...=1&d=1314555031

#9 Seer

Seer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:12 PM

Cool! I don't think you'll regret it. That rudder's a pretty good piece of aluminum and, having forgotten to pull it up a time or two in the shallows have to say it will take a bit of abuse without showing any wear. You may want to pull the two rudder bracket screws when you get the boat and put a spot of blue loctite on them before putting them back in.

Oops! Make that stainless steel and not aluminum! Why doesn't the edit post function work?

By the way demers, those pictures didn't come through.

#10 Steve O.

Steve O.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:17 AM

Nice picture! I love my Marvel 12, and I know that you'll enjoy yours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users