Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Inflatable Thigh Pads

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Seer

Seer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:06 PM

These Marvels are awesome boats! Every time I go out I am more impressed by the comfort, handling and speed. Its stability gives me a great deal of confidence. So much so that I'm thinking more and more about trying it in some of the more challenging waters around here. The only drawback I can see to paddling there is the Marvel's width. It doesn't give me quite the leverage I'd like to have for my hips and thighs. So I was thinking some inflatable thigh pads would be just the ticket. They could stay in the boat permanently, ready to be inflated at need much like a paddle float. Then deflated for the lazy rivers and lakes. I've been looking, but haven't seen any. Anyone come across anything like this?

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

Glad to hear you having a great time with your Marvel. I haven't heard or ever come across inflatable thigh pads. Natives sister brand, Liquid Logic kayaks, has some innovative adjustable padding for their whitewater yaks that may give you some ideas, possibly velcro attachable blocks of closed cell foam? http://www.liquidlog...m/bao_video.cfm

-Philip

#3 Seer

Seer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:36 PM

Glad to hear you having a great time with your Marvel. I haven't heard or ever come across inflatable thigh pads. Natives sister brand, Liquid Logic kayaks, has some innovative adjustable padding for their whitewater yaks that may give you some ideas, possibly velcro attachable blocks of closed cell foam? http://www.liquidlog...m/bao_video.cfm

-Philip

Thanks Phillip,
I was considering using velcro, but I don't know if the adhesive would hold up. The velcro I've encountered seems to have a limited number of uses and with the temperature changes, moisture, etc. it'd have to be some strong glue on the back. Then I got to thinking how cool it would be to be able to adjust the amount of thigh padding depending on the situation. So I was wondering if anyone had that kind of thing for sale. Maybe I'll look into making some myself....
Tom

#4 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:39 AM

You're welcome, Tom. I haven't seen any in a store, only online, but there is industrial strength velcro that once stuck is almost un-removeable. Another possible option would be to use something like Mondo-Bond to adhere typical velco. Good luck -Philip

#5 Yasukuni

Yasukuni

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:14 PM

Great to see more interest in the Marvel series. Since I bought my 14.5 solo, I couldn't be happier. The boat fits me perfectly and the width is no problem for me as I'm fairly broad in the beam myself.

#6 yakmang

yakmang

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:31 PM

Seer
I just ran across these and thought of you. Check it out. Don't know if this will meet your need or not. Kind pricey but thought you might like to see the option. I looked else where and the cheapest I could find for these was $44 don't know waht shipping would be.

http://www.ebay.com/...96#ht_500wt_922

Maybe some options that might be able to make work here?

http://www.outdoorpl...CFRJX7Aod0UyENg

#7 Seer

Seer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:19 AM

Thanks Yakmang. Those thigh pads are made to go under the thighs in those kind of kayaks where seating and personal comfort are an after thought, if they are thought of at all. They do look like they'd do the trick in for me as well. I'm thinking of taking two such pads and attaching them to a fabric (I think the fabric that the current knee pads are made from would be perfect.) and attaching that fabric to the holes drilled for our current knee pads with one pad on each side. With them hanging, it shouldn't interfere with removing the seat yet still be in prime position when I inflate them. Hey all, Labor Day's upon us. Hope you get a chance to get out and do some paddling!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users