Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

What paddle for a Magic 14.5

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 VeroDD

VeroDD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

What paddle do you use on your 14.5 Magics? I have a 240 Werner Cascadia that is very light and a great all around paddle. However, it does not seem to get enough bite on the Magic. Maybe it's just my crappy stroke?

#2 knobcreekman

knobcreekman

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:02 PM

I use an aquabound manta ray 240 with mine, but I'm certainly not any kind of paddling expert. that's what they sold me at the kayak shop and I figure they know more about than me. I know that all of my problems are with my stroke. Some days I go out and it's like I'm not even trying and I'm just cruising along, but other times it seems no matter how much I dig in, I just can't get any speed. I'm still trying to work on the paddling thing, but I'm usually too busy doing the fishing thing

#3 VeroDD

VeroDD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

If there is any wind at all, I'm really struggling with the Werner.

#4 knobcreekman

knobcreekman

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:15 PM

Do you feather your paddle? That's supposed to help. I don't because I have problems with my wrists.

#5 Yasukuni

Yasukuni

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:08 PM

I use a Werner Camano 230, feathered at 45degrees right. I use this paddle with my U12 as well as my Marvel 14.5 solo. When I first tried to feather my paddle I had a heck of a time but now everything else feels weird. In my opinion a feathered paddle lessens wrist roll and keeps them in line for the next stroke. I also have a fairly low angle stroke. This means that my paddle's shaft is at a low angle to the water throughout my stroke. My friend has a very high angle stroke, when his paddle enters the water at the beginning of a stroke the shaft is at almost a 90 degree angle to the water. Different paddles are more efficient with a high or low angle stroke. My Werner is a very efficient low angle paddle and since I bought it I can keep up with other paddlers that I never could before. Just my $.02.

#6 VeroDD

VeroDD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for the input. I have never tried feathering, but will the next time out. However, it's not the paddle angle that seems to be a problem, it's the bite. Just does not seem to grab enough water??

#7 Yasukuni

Yasukuni

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:15 AM

That's sort of my point, high angle paddles have shorter wider blades which "grab" more water when entering the water at a more perpendicular angle while low angle paddles have longer slimmer blades which are designed to work more efficiently when entering the water at an angle more parallel to the surface. Hint: When trying a feathered paddle keep looking at the blade of your paddle as it enters the water and keep that angle correct, then turn your head slightly and watch the other blade and keep it correct, your wrists will follow. Also use a very light grip on the paddle so it can rotate. I find that when I'm paddling that most of my stroke grip and pressure exists between my thumb anf forefinger aqnd the other three sort of just go along for the ride. Hope this helps.

#8 Marabou Muddler

Marabou Muddler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:42 AM

I use a 240 Werner Little Dipper feathered at about 35'. The LD has the same blade shape as the Camano, but it smaller. My paddle has less surface area than the Cascadia, so theoretically, you should get more "bite" than me in the water. Are you paddling w/ your abdomen or your arms? Paddling technique can make a big difference. If you are paddling w/ your arms (vs. using your abdominal muscles and rotating your torso while keeping your arms bent at the same angle through your stroke) your paddle stroke will become less efficient a lot faster; thus feeling as though you are not grabbing enough water.......plus, you will eventually kill your elbows or shoulders.

#9 VeroDD

VeroDD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for the good advice. The blade angle in the water makes alot of sense. I'll keep practicing.

#10 knobcreekman

knobcreekman

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:06 AM

So after this discussion, I decided to try feathering my paddle again while I was out yesterday... what a huge difference! I guess I wasn't taking a neutral enough position with my control hand which was causing it to bother my wrist. Also, I was really paying attention to the stroke angle and it seems the Magic is going to force a relatively high angle stroke because you sit up higher in the water compared to other SOPs, so your paddle should work well for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users