Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Finally, an Anchor Trolley!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 motown

motown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:28 AM

Hello All,

Thanks to some input from Knobcreekman, I have finished installing my anchor trolley on my Magic.

I used the tri-rivets instead of the supplied well nuts. The tri-rivets only require a 3/16" diameter hole while the well nuts require a 5/16" diameter hole.

To keep the top line from coming over the gunwhale of the yak, I used a couple of one hole cable straps. I didn't want to use nylon pad eyes because they required two holes to be drilled to mount, where the straps only require one hole. I looked at some plastic cable straps, but decided against using them because the plastic was a little to thin. I thought they wouldn't last a season pulling the anchor trolley line through them. So the cable straps I used are metal. I painted them black.

I was concerned with the anchor trolley becoming slack with use. Folks have used different methods of keeping the line taut. I started to use bungee chord to keep the line taut, but, remembered a knot I learned as a kid in the Boy Scout. I used a knot called a tautline hitch to connect the anchor trolley line to one side of the plastic ring. The other end of the anchor trolley line is tied to the plastic snap hook and then connected to the plastic ring.

The tautline hitch knot, is a knot that is used to keep tension on lines. For example: keeping tension on the guy lines between the tent and tent stakes. You can find the knot in the old Boy Scout handbook. Heck, you can find the knot on line. Super easy to tie and easy to adjust the tension on the anchor trolley line. We will see how well it holds up with heavy use!

Tautline hitch knot:http://www.netknots....line_hitch.html

I also did one long anchor trolley line instead of two half length anchor trolleys. Time will also tell how well this will work out. I am hoping for the best. I don't want to drill additional holes if I don't have to. Six holes drilled in total......so far.

I am thinking about mounting a cam cleat to hold the actual anchor line that I am going to use. Supposed to work easy in theory. One hand operation! Just pull anchor line through cam cleat, let go, it holds! To release, one hand also! Just pull line through cam cleat and up......then let go...OR....reset anchor line again into the cleat!

Check out cam cleat:
http://www.landfalln...r468harken.html

I will, however, use well nuts to mount the cam cleat. I am concerned that using tri-rivets might clamp to tightly and inhibit the movement of the cams on the cleat.

I will use an anchor line with one end tied to my anchor(probably a 5lb dumbell) and the other end tied to a float. I will grab this line in the center, doubling it up and passing it through the anchor trolley plastic ring and then secure it with the cam cleat SO it can be quickly released with one hand when needed!

Check it out:

I will try to post pictures this weekend after some time on the water trying it out!

Motown

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:35 AM

Great post and job on a safe release system. -Philip

#3 knobcreekman

knobcreekman

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:33 AM

Great job, and congrats on getting it done! Do you have the magic 12 or 14.5? If it's the 12, the full trolley won't really matter matter. If it's the 14.5, the high line of the trolley will come up over the gunwale. That's why I have half trollies... plus i didn't want anything covering up the Native logo on the side of my yak :-) Oh, and the tautline hitch is what i use for my bow and stern tie downs when transporting my yak ;-)

#4 motown

motown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:47 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2765[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2766[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2767[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2768[/ATTACH][ATTACH]2764[/ATTACH]Hello All, Okay, here are the pictures that I promised. Please forgive the quality of the pics. Took them inside, down in the basement, with the kayak on its side. The first few pics show the pulleys. I mounted the center of the pulleys about 1 3/4" below the top edge of the kayak. Mounting it there sort of has the anchor lines framing the word MAGIC 14.5. That ends up putting the top anchor trolley line about 1 1/4" down from the top edge of the yak. Using one long anchor trolley does end up blocking the Native Watercraft name on the side of the yak. The front pulley was mounted about 7" from the bow. I didn't mount the rear pulley that close to the stern however. From the pictures, you can tell that I mounted it about 5" from the rudder line exit hole indentations in the side of the yak. You can also see the one hole metal straps that I painted black. I think they should hold up well, at least better than the thin plastic cable clamps I almost used. I am hoping the mini cam cleat that I mounted ends up working well. Mounted it on the only little flat area on the outside edge of the yak. Mounted it right where my left hand almost naturally falls. Very east to reach and manipulate the anchor rope! It was the smallest cam cleats I could find. I used well nuts for the cam cleat. The seemed to tighten up well without binding up the rotation of the cleats. It is mounted very solidly. Like the smallness of the cleat. I don't want anything to keep me from easily entering or exiting the yak, even re-entering the yak from the water after a spill. Hope you all like the pictures. I just finished organizing a new soft sided Plano tackle bag. Finally put the old soft side Plano out of its misery. It was literally rotting apart. Definitely got some mileage out of the old one. Hope the new one holds up for a long time too! Going fishing in the morning! Tight lines everyone! a

#5 motown

motown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:53 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2769[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2771[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2772[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2773[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2765[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2766[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2767[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2768[/ATTACH][ATTACH]2764[/ATTACH]Hello All, Okay, here are the pictures that I promised. Please forgive the quality of the pics. Took them inside, down in the basement, with the kayak on its side. The first few pics show the pulleys. I mounted the center of the pulleys about 1 3/4" below the top edge of the kayak. Mounting it there sort of has the anchor lines framing the word MAGIC 14.5. That ends up putting the top anchor trolley line about 1 1/4" down from the top edge of the yak. Using one long anchor trolley does end up blocking the Native Watercraft name on the side of the yak. The front pulley was mounted about 7" from the bow. I didn't mount the rear pulley that close to the stern however. From the pictures, you can tell that I mounted it about 5" from the rudder line exit hole indentations in the side of the yak. You can also see the one hole metal straps that I painted black. I think they should hold up well, at least better than the thin plastic cable clamps I almost used. I am hoping the mini cam cleat that I mounted ends up working well. Mounted it on the only little flat area on the outside edge of the yak. Mounted it right where my left hand almost naturally falls. Very east to reach and manipulate the anchor rope! It was the smallest cam cleats I could find. I used well nuts for the cam cleat. The seemed to tighten up well without binding up the rotation of the cleats. It is mounted very solidly. Like the smallness of the cleat. I don't want anything to keep me from easily entering or exiting the yak, even re-entering the yak from the water after a spill. Hope you all like the pictures. I just finished organizing a new soft sided Plano tackle bag. Finally put the old soft side Plano out of its misery. It was literally rotting apart. Definitely got some mileage out of the old one. Hope the new one holds up for a long time too! Going fishing in the morning! Tight lines everyone! a

#6 motown

motown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:00 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2774[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2775[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2776[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2777[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2778[/ATTACH]As you can tell, not very good at this posting pics thing, BUT, here are few more:

#7 livelybaits

livelybaits

• Members
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:23 AM

When you have tension difficulties with the rope, incorporate some heavy duty bungee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users