Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Automatic for the people - Native's quest for what you want next

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#41 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

There are some pretty serious new fishing boats coming out this year. Native does a darned good job covering their bases...but some of these new boats are REALLY well thought out. There is some interesting discussion on another thread about a livewell on the Manta Ray. I mentioned in this thread it would be neat to have one in the Ray...either behind the seat in that small bulkhead area...but it would be a lot more usable between our legs like in the Malibu X series. A good enclosed compartment that also shades the depth-finder would also be nice...also found in Malibu's. Then there is in hull rod storage...2 position seats...a high and low position...with tackle box storage...rod tie downs...etc, etc. Jackson has certainly gotten serous feedback from fishermen and their new boats are incredibly well designed...the hulls though... in my opinion are still performance lacking...and just flat ugly. So here is my idea...A Manta Ray like hull around 30 inches wide for extra stability. The back deck would be flat with typical crate area and bungee tie downs. Access going into the seat bulkhead area would be angled much like the old Magic hulls with a large enough hatch compartment opening that we could easily run long rods up each side to the bow for tripping and transportation. Seats would be reworked to have a high and low paddling position. Tackle Box storage would be designed to hold small boxes under the seat. Rod tie-downs would be designed into the hull to stow rods in molded in positions. A large open pod area would be in front of the seat that would accept dry storage/livewell/bait tank options or even a drop in trolling motor. In front of that would be a smaller hatch that would store a depth-finder and flip up hatch/sunvisor for the depth-finder. The bow would have a dry storage hatch that would also have a hard cover that would protect rod tips while paddling. The bow would have the typical Manta Ray design giving a quiet entry while paddling in the chop but still float up on larger waves. All of these things aren't new...but they are the best from everything that is offered out there now. No one boat has them all...so have at it Native!

#42 red18

red18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:34 AM

for a new design, i would like to see an open design, like the ultimate, but with scuppers and that wonderful seat.

#43 TNtrout

TNtrout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

Yep, red 18, that sounds like a Magic to me!!! We need a return appearance to the line up with slight upgrades. I still have one 14.5 and kick myself constantly that I sold off the other one. Almost the capacity of the Ultimate...same seat...paddles a little quicker than the ultimate...seat turns around and it converts easily from tandem to solo...self-bailing...great machine, OK some of you are tired of hearing this from me...long live the Magic!

#44 Landof10,000LakesKayaker

Landof10,000LakesKayaker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

Would LOVE to see a tandem Propel model where both people could peddle!

#45 Garrett

Garrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

It seems that the Hobie Pro Angler is the new "holy grail" for kayak fishermen. It doesn't appeal to me, but it seems to be selling well. I think with the new upgraded prop, Native show go for their own bells and whistles ladden battleship.

#46 Garrett

Garrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

A Mariner cart that uses a rotomolded pocket that the fin protecting the rudder can slide into may work. Additional payload for the Mariner so the scrupper holes are dryer.

#47 inrll

inrll

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

Yep, red 18, that sounds like a Magic to me!!! We need a return appearance to the line up with slight upgrades. I still have one 14.5 and kick myself constantly that I sold off the other one. Almost the capacity of the Ultimate...same seat...paddles a little quicker than the ultimate...seat turns around and it converts easily from tandem to solo...self-bailing...great machine, OK some of you are tired of hearing this from me...long live the Magic!

I couldn't agree more! I bought a U12 in Dec. but would have picked up a Magic instead just because its a similar boat with the added safety of scuppers. I would think that in the minds of the NW the two boats were probably too similar but really with some clever marketing I think a new Magic would have great success.

#48 ericos

ericos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

Just an idea As the Native Watercraft kayaks are the only true pedal powered kayaks you could easily take advantage of the existing propel system to making it the only pedal POWERED kayak. A small output stator integrated into the propel design which the user could connect to a battery for powering electronic devices, gps,fishfinder,etc would mean a much smaller battery could be used and save storage space,weight and keep your devices charged all day. That's it for me.

#49 nraycroft

nraycroft

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

Just an idea

As the Native Watercraft kayaks are the only true pedal powered kayaks you could easily take advantage of the existing propel system to making it the only pedal POWERED kayak. A small output stator integrated into the propel design which the user could connect to a battery for powering electronic devices, gps,fishfinder,etc would mean a much smaller battery could be used and save storage space,weight and keep your devices charged all day.

That's it for me.

Ericos, that is an idea like no other! Sounds genius-like to me, and though not something I think I would be interested, its a very INTERESTING concept none the less.

Thanks for sharing!

Nathan

#50 hank

hank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

Can someone tell me how chines work on the manta ray or how it helps on being stable ?

#51 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

Chines help a good bit in several ways. With a boat that doesn't have a rudder, you can actually lean on the chine and use it as a rudder. It is a bit awkward at first because you lean on the left side to go right and the right side to go left. It works though when the hull has some speed to it. If you have a glide going, it works less efficiently...wind blowing the boat can mess it up. It also places more floating volume on the sides. Instead of a rounded hull, there is something out there to add floatation. But on a down side...in current...that edge a chine creates can catch and become tippy. The Greenland style sea kayaks are all famous for their hard chines...very sharp squared off edges. They make for a fast performance oriented hull that takes a more experienced paddler to make the best of it. Most of the boats we have coming out really have a more refined hull trying to give the best of both worlds...rounder to be forgiving and not catchy in any currents...but still enough to respond to a lean. The flatter the bottom...creating more of a chine...the more stable the hull when you are sitting flat.

#52 Jalderson

Jalderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

Honestly? I own a 2011 14.5 Ult. and I have had to go to other kayak companies for most of my accessories for my yak. I have recently added Hobie Sidekick stabilizers because of the lack of options Native provides. I feel like Native wants to focus more on "basic" kayak fishing rather than really getting into the mix. Which is ok but if Native really wants to compete in the expanding kayak fishing segment then it will have to offer more support and accessories. Hobie offers just about all you could want even a live well. Even the seat, which was a main reason for me buying the Ult., seems like it is falling behind Jackson's coosa seat. When I look at Hobie and other kayak companies they are also committed to sponsoring "pros" which I have heard Native will not. Even the accessories that native offer I feel are grossly over-priced. Just adding plastic rectangle piece to the groove track seems high for what it really is. I guess what I am getting at is that if you are going to be in the luxury priced kayak nitch that you need to be able to supply EVERYTHING that a kayak angler needs and keep a eye on what the competition is adding to their accessory lines.

#53 TNtrout

TNtrout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

Rod Holder adjustment on stern of Versa Boards: Could the flush mount rod holders on the Versa Board Anglers be moved further to the rear or some adjustment be made to put it on the sides? The reason I make this suggestion is that when you flip back the First class seat to allow better room to stand, the seat hits the rod holders. My solution has normally been to only use the center groove track rod holder in the middle of the boat. Seems like a wasted opportunity.

#54 Rustymax

Rustymax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

I have an U14.5 and a MR12. I would like to see a built in (engineered) system ( a molded loop or secure eyelet) that can be used to cable a kayak to a tree or a roof rack. I take mine camping and would like to have an easy way to secure the yaks to the camper bunper or tree if I decide to leave the camp for a while. I know about "Python" cable lock from Master lock, but what about adding something like below photo to run the cable through. A backing plate would make the attchment more robust.

#55 kayaker_tye

kayaker_tye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

How about bring the BLUE color back!

#56 Swiney75

Swiney75

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

Issues I got to take my New Manta Ray 12 out for a test ride today in a small city lake and I was disappointed. I was so excited about getting this yak based on what I have been told and also what the salesman also told me. I took 2 months deciding between this and the Ride 135 and I believe I would have been happier with the ride. I got the yak for mainly river fishing and I found some issues out to just sitting still in the city lake. Native claims that the yak is "Boat self-bails - Ideal for flat water and rivers", but from what I saw it is mostly self filling. I had water all the way up around the center cup storage lid inside of the yak. When I unplugged the other two it filled up all the way to the seat. So self bails is in error. Now I know that I will have to keep all of the scubber holes plugged to take it out on the lake or river. So I will have to keep a sponge or two sponges in the yak. I had only one rod with me and a small tackle box that fits in your pocket. So if I add any weight to this more water would have came in. I have some other design issues with the yak and took photos of them if anyone wants me to email them. The only thing that I found that it lived up to was the confont of the seat. it was 100% the best feel I have had in a yak. But the Self Bailing was another main reason why I choose the MR12 and I feel it did not live up to it. I also found on the bottom of the yak at one of the scubber holes that it looks and feels like it was not molded properly in one section. Maybe it I would have picked the MR14 it would be different but I only had 250 lbs the yak. When not sitting in the yak an I unpluged the front two scubber holes I noticed that the water was only 1/2 from the top of the hole. I understand that some water will feel into the yak but I was not expecting the amount I saw.

#57 Car7x

Car7x

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

Seat interchangability impossible; customer service intractable I'd like to see the capability to buy a versaboard mount for the first class seats in my tandem 14.5. According to a great phone rep at the retailer where I bought the versaboard, NW is real touchy about selling parts, and would not assist; I'd have to buy a whole new seat. When I pressed, she followed thru and said again no hope, and the seats were incompatible between the two craft. I'm prostaff with a bunch of great companies. This is my first interaction with NW and this attitude indicates a lack of business savvy and basic goodwill inconsistent with what appears to be a good product. Too bad.

#58 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

I'd like to see the capability to buy a versaboard mount for the first class seats in my tandem 14.5. According to a great phone rep at the retailer where I bought the versaboard, NW is real touchy about selling parts, and would not assist; I'd have to buy a whole new seat. When I pressed, she followed thru and said again no hope, and the seats were incompatible between the two craft. I'm prostaff with a bunch of great companies. This is my first interaction with NW and this attitude indicates a lack of business savvy and basic goodwill inconsistent with what appears to be a good product. Too bad.

The two hulls that you mention aren't even close to being the same...the floors are totally different and the widths are also different. If you are talking about the rotating first class seat available as an option for the VB, it plugs into a socket molded into the deck of the VB. The Ultimate has no place to mold in the plug without it protruding down through the hull into the water...you don't have an inner and outer hull in the U like you do with the VB. Also the way the seat fits onto the rotating plate requires specific parts and drilling, modifying the frame of the seat. First class seats fit on all boat models differently and require specific floor pans and specific points of attachment. The first class seat for my Magic will not fit into my Ultimate and vice versa. Selling you the individual parts means you would have to modify the seat drilling additional holes and also altering the rotating seat pan and possibly the hull...now how would they warranty all of those modifications? AND how smart would that be in this day and age?

#59 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,058 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

I believe what Car7x actually wants to do is just buy the VB platform (seat pan) so he can switch the seat frame back and forth between his Ultimate and VB seat pans. While you may not agree with Native, or any other manufacturer that controls inventory and production with SKU's, each seat with all its components is one SKU and is tracked, inventoried, shipped and sold as such.

#60 magnetik

magnetik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

not sure if this has been suggested but a dedicated cavity for a tranducer would be good for the anglers. also a mount for trolling motor. blasphemy! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users